Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #41
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman says the upcoming Eberle trade won't be liked from the Edmonton perspective:

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/fr...-taker-eberle/
From past history, it is fairly likely that Eberle will excel once he escapes the swamp.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #42
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
From past history, it is fairly likely that Eberle will excel once he escapes the swamp.
Would laugh so hard if he ended up in Pittsburgh somehow.
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #43
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Part of me would be excited by an Eberle acquisition, because I've always liked the idea of a Versteeg/Bennett/Eberle line. But at the same time, that line would be somewhat soft and Eberle sure isn't cheap... but we'd have Canada's old wonder boy.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #44
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The only logical reason I can think for LV to take Brouwer would be to trade him afterwards with eating $1.5-2M per season in salary.

Brouwer at 2.5-3M cap hit might be attractive to someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop27 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #45
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Part of me would be excited by an Eberle acquisition, because I've always liked the idea of a Versteeg/Bennett/Eberle line.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #46
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Part of me would be excited by an Eberle acquisition, because I've always liked the idea of a Versteeg/Bennett/Eberle line. But at the same time, that line would be somewhat soft and Eberle sure isn't cheap... but we'd have Canada's old wonder boy.
Surround Bennett with two slow wingers. This time replace the already useless Brouwer with the even softer Eberle.

Brilliant.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #47
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Im with you scorp, I would take Eberle. Kid will get out of the CapitHOLE and have renewed life force.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #48
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm somewhat indifferent on the Smith trade, but I do like that it gives the organization some clarity on the holes they still need to fill and the assets they have to acquire those needs going into the draft.

I am still hoping they find some way to make a deal with Vegas for Neal now that we know he's been exposed and likely to be scooped in the expansion draft. Would have to think the first rounder would need to be involved, but he's the appropriate mix of skill and d**chebaggery needed for our top line (or to pair with Bennett, if they want to even out the offense).
Old 06-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #49
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I already stated, Neal wouldn't hurt my feelings at all, but hearing about Reilly Smith being exposed also, I'd rather Tre find a way to get that guy.

Younger, signed to longer term. Good two way energy guy capable of 25g/50p.

Of course, I don't know what you have to give up in order to have Vegas just not keep him for themselves.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #50
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Just a note on Reilly Smith, Glen Gulutzan coached him for 40 games in Dallas... just saying.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #51
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Even if we were able to acquire him, do we want four more years of Smith at 5 million per season?
Old 06-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #52
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizefighterinferno View Post
Even if we were able to acquire him, do we want four more years of Smith at 5 million per season?
5 more years.

...and I would.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #53
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The problem is that Vegas will likely have a decent defence and goalkeeping, forwards not so much. I'd take Marchessault/bjugstad over Smith I think as well. Then again I know nothing.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:20 AM   #54
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see a reason to leave Smith unprotected in Florida. He had a down year and has been inconsistent from season to season in his career. Still a good player.

I don't see a reason to leave Marchessault unprotected coming off a 30 goal season. That would be ludicrously bad asset management by Tallon and the Panthers.

I have a feeling that Petrovic is unprotected since he's had trouble raising himself above the 3rd pair over the years. Pysyk will likely be protected since he was traded for not one season ago.

I guess we'll find out in a couple hours.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #55
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
Acc to source Panthers protect Huberdeau,Barkov,Trocheck,Bjugstad,Ekblad,Yandle,P etro,Pysyk,Luongo

Garrioch reports that Ottawa told Methot that he was exposed.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:06 AM   #56
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Demers, Smith and Marchessault are the key names left exposed by FLA

Demers would be a good #4 to partner with Brodie, probably an upgrade on Stone, and either Reilly or Marchessault could be a good fit for the Flames top line RW spot.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 06-18-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:53 AM   #57
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The expansion draft for Las Vegas is not designed to make the Calgary Flames better. It is doubtful that Calgary has a lot that Las Vegas would want so Calgary can improve their roster. In a draft and trade scenario, Las Vegas has to get stronger as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 AM   #58
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The expansion draft for Las Vegas is not designed to make the Calgary Flames better. It is doubtful that Calgary has a lot that Las Vegas would want so Calgary can improve their roster. In a draft and trade scenario, Las Vegas has to get stronger as well.
lol yeah, no #### Sherlock

Do you really think people don't know that?

Vegas has openly stated that once protection lists are unveiled, they would be taking calls on any teams unprotected players, and potentially flip them to other teams if the return makes sense for them.

I'm just pointing out that those Panthers players are great fits for the Flames and will likely get discussed in any talks between Treliving and Mcphee.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #59
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Do you really think people don't know that?
I'm not certain they do. There's a lot of going over other teams rosters looking for players that are possible fits for Calgary without consideration of what Vegas wants or needs in a deal. Making a deal with Vegas will be just as costly as making a deal with any other team. There is no bargain bin here, and that is the impression I get when people are talking about making a deal for a player that Vegas might select.

Quote:
Vegas has openly stated that once protection lists are unveiled, they would be taking calls on any teams unprotected players, and potentially flip them to other teams if the return makes sense for them.

I'm just pointing out that those Panthers players are great fits for the Flames and will likely get discussed in any talks between Treliving and Mcphee.
And what does Calgary have that would entice Vegas to make a deal with us. We admittedly state we are fine with losing anyone on our list. That means they are players of little consequence to us. If they are of little consequence to us why would they be of any consequence to Vegas. Unless the Flames dip into that pool of assets they don't want to give up, why would Vegas select a player we want over what they want? There's no free lunch here, and that is the impression a lot of these suggestions are projecting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 08:35 AM   #60
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I'm not certain they do. There's a lot of going over other teams rosters looking for players that are possible fits for Calgary without consideration of what Vegas wants or needs in a deal. Making a deal with Vegas will be just as costly as making a deal with any other team. There is no bargain bin here, and that is the impression I get when people are talking about making a deal for a player that Vegas might select.

And what does Calgary have that would entice Vegas to make a deal with us. We admittedly state we are fine with losing anyone on our list. That means they are players of little consequence to us. If they are of little consequence to us why would they be of any consequence to Vegas. Unless the Flames dip into that pool of assets they don't want to give up, why would Vegas select a player we want over what they want? There's no free lunch here, and that is the impression a lot of these suggestions are projecting.
I haven't seen anyone suggesting the Flames will get any of these players at a discount, or assuming we will somehow get a "free lunch". So I really don't see the need for you come along and smugly state the obvious.
Closed Thread