Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #12761
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got to agree, if we're offered either of those pieces alone for Brodie we should take it and run.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #12762
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I would be open to trading Brodie for either Eberle or getting our first back. Maybe ask for a little sweetener from NYI in either scenario.

Is that really such a bad idea?
Yes.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #12763
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I'm 100% of the opinion that we currently need wingers more than we need centers.

Why no talk around signing either Neal or JVR? I think signing either of those guys would solve a vast majority of our depth problems.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #12764
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I'm 100% of the opinion that we currently need wingers more than we need centers.

Why no talk around signing either Neal or JVR? I think signing either of those guys would solve a vast majority of our depth problems.
Probably because it's May.
The Following User Says Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #12765
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:

I think we're all a little leery about free agency given recent failures, and of course the costs that would be involved regardless.

James Neal will probably fetch anywhere from $6-7M in free agency. Especially coming off the season he's had where the Golden Knights give any free agent there the golden rub.

That being said, it still wouldn't shock me to see Treliving dip into free agency anyway. Brodie is unlikely to return a top flight winger, and even though Hamilton gets you the best return I just can't see him being moved.

Now whether the Flames decide to go after that much needed RW (even if he isn't a natural rightie) or go off the page a bit and look to bolster their centre position remains to be seen but again it would not shock me if they handled that in free agency.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #12766
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Apparently Calgary is on JVR's no trade list

Neal will command a high price tag and term. Not sure if it's a good long term move.

While good players, both have their warts and aren't superstars.

If you can snag a center of the same quality or better then I vote do that. Much more valuable position and much easier to convert a center to wing than a winger to center.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #12767
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So you're comfortable going into the season with our centers:

Monahan
Backlund
Jankowski
Bennett
Shore
Lazar

?

One injury to Monahan and Backlund and we are probably done, and that's if we aren't done without an injury.

Jankowski has 73 career games.
Shore, Lazar and Bennett have a combined 72 goals in about 750 combined NHL games.

Frightening.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #12768
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would not be shocked to see the Flames target Maroon. I would not like that deal because of his age, but it doesn't mean the Flames wont be after him.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 05-24-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #12769
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I would not be shocked to see the Flames target Maroon. I would not life that deal because of his age, but it doesn't mean the Flames wont be after him.
I think Maroon wants to play for a team that is closer to home. I think he really misses his wife and kids. I realize that hockey requires you to travel, but if he has an opportunity to at least play for a team somewhat close, he is going to.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #12770
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Monahan
Backlund
Jankowski
Bennett
Shore
Lazar

?

One injury to Monahan and Backlund and we are probably done, and that's if we aren't done without an injury.

Shore, Lazar and Bennett have a combined 72 goals in about 750 combined NHL games.

Frightening.
The problem with the Flames too is going out and getting a lot of UFA's and just slotting them in without seeing how the prospects really are. I don't want us signing another center because I really want Jankowski to start getting more ice time in hopes to fill that 2C role that Bennett didn't really do. I think Jankowski brings a whole new level to his game and gets 40-50 points next season.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #12771
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I think Maroon wants to play for a team that is closer to home. I think he really misses his wife and kids. I realize that hockey requires you to travel, but if he has an opportunity to at least play for a team somewhat close, he is going to.
This is probably true, still its hard to imagine that he wont sign for the team that will pay him the most for the longest.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #12772
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yes.
What if NYI throws in a Hanowski?
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #12773
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What if NYI throws in a Hanowski?
I truly feel a deal involving Brodie is our best bet to bring in a top line winger. I don’t see a need to move him for anything less. Might as well just keep him.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #12774
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Monahan
Backlund
Jankowski
Bennett
Shore
Lazar

?

Frightening.
You can pretty much say that about any team though. If your top 2 centres go down to injury you are boned no matter who you are.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #12775
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
+/- eh? Taking a page out of the Ricardo book of Dmen analysis.

Eberle is one of the worst defensive forwards in the game so we are not acquiring a 200ft player in the deal.

Brodie is no where near the disaster you make him out to be. It was clear all season you hate the player so it is easy to see the mistakes and gloss over the good.

Brodie is not a top pairing Dman but he is a top 4 that is built for today’s game. Put him on a team that plays a system more tailored to his game and slide him back on the right side I can see the Flames losing any realistic deal they can get for the guy.
Thanks for the fly-by. Is there anything with Brodie's -16 that doesn't accurately reflect his play in 2017-18? Somehow he was unlucky?

I believe that Brodie is a better player than he showed playing under the GG system but the -16 for the last 2 years is a very good reflection on his play the last couple of years.

If he really is a -16 under a non_GG system then he is worth at most a 2nd/3rd round pick. If he goes back to pre-GG Brodie then he is too valuable to trade.

There are 114 D-men with 19 or more minutes a game that played in 40 or more games. There are 3 that are -11 or worse on teams that made the playoffs. There are another 5 that are between -5 and -10.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #12776
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You can pretty much say that about any team though. If your top 2 centres go down to injury you are boned no matter who you are.
Not disagreeing with your point, most teams would struggle with their two top centres out. However most could adapt to losing one of said two. I think the point is valid that we would certainly struggle significantly if either of Monahan or Backlund missed time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #12777
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
As Monahammer says below, I was saying just one of the two, not both.

Either Backlund or Monahan get hurt and it's game over more than likely. Another season down the tubes. Centers can play wing, wingers can't really play center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Not disagreeing with your point, most teams would struggle with their two top centres out. However most could adapt to losing one of said two. I think the point is valid that we would certainly struggle significantly if either of Monahan or Backlund missed time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #12778
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a couple weeks ago some Montreal radio dude said PK could be moved this off season from Nashville. Most people passed it off as salt from a Montreal media dude.

Now apparently Andy Strickland was NHL radio today and pretty much said the Oreds are shopping Subban.

Man if that's true the guy must be a real POS in the locker room or something.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #12779
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not sure if POS would be the right term, if it is true I'd suggest his personality might wear on coaches or other senior players. I have no idea what we could give up other than Dougie to get him.

Perhaps they know they're strong defensively and want to upgrade the top 6 with something legit.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #12780
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can see Oilers moving the 1st pick, Puljujarvi, Hopkins for PK.
Closed Thread