Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #81
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yes i agree with all that...what i am saying and apparently not conveying well is that many many others are unable to consolidate those things and that is why we are seeing so many incidents.

I will leave it at that as this is becoming another dogpile on anyone who may be in the minority thread....even though im not in the minority at all.
No ...

It's a public forum and you offered an opinion that some have disagreed with.

It's not dogpiling at all, and I don't think I've seen anyone respond disrespectfully.

But I know the feeling when I support Sam Bennett!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #82
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nm
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #83
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Im not a facebook guy, but who starts a statement on their own personal facebook page with a, "Hey my name is x"?

Because your immediate reaction when you first see his name is, “What”?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #84
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The fact that we need to police and monitor common sense and decency after all the information we have, after months and months of living through it, after seeing the numbers spike when restricts were relaxed post the first wave lockdown, is ####ing unbelievable to me.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:47 AM   #85
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey, guys, get your pitchforks and whatnot. He's defending that bum again. Let's gettim. WE have to get that paste eating troll banned from this site once and for all!! I would like to speak to the manager.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #86
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes i agree with all that...what i am saying and apparently not conveying well is that many many others are unable to consolidate those things and that is why we are seeing so many incidents.

I will leave it at that as this is becoming another dogpile on anyone who may be in the minority thread....even though im not in the minority at all.
No, this is an example of people who disagree with you challenging your position.

You're right, though, in the sense that many people have questions about the rules and guidelines. Most of it, however, comes under the guise of searching for loopholes. Still, ignorance of or disagreement with the rules neither justifies these incidents nor should be cause for their occurrence.

We're in this together. Follow the rules.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #87
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

ODRs have been crazy busy. In the past two weeks, two times I've given my 15 year old a ride to the ODR, he has opted to just head back home because there were too many small kids on the ice. This has nothing to do with COVID, he was just worried they'd get in his way, he'd bump into them, accidentally hit them with a puck. If there were 40 skaters on the ice including small children, I would have expected Jr. A players to have the maturity to pack it up and come back later in the evening when it is quieter, without anyone else having to ask them... and, again, that's even in a non-COVID year.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #88
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
fair enough, but then why are malls open with tons of cars in the parking lot when i drive by. that is the issue a lot of people have, including myself. just my thoughts
Honestly you can't look at it as fairness.

Some activities need to continue or the economy falls apart. Others don't.

I coach girls hockey in Calgary, they were crushed when play was suspended on November 13th. But nobody lost their job (could be some arena staff for sure) when they halted it as the lion's share of minor hockey if volunteer.

Malls need to be open to some degree (15%) in order to keep businesses alive, and the economy running.

Kids have to be in school (young ones) so their parents can go to work.

Outdoor rinks open at all is an attempt to give people something even though it's not "required", something that is becoming a headache and will likely end with a closure.

The fairness lens doesn't work in these times.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #89
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
fair enough, but then why are malls open with tons of cars in the parking lot when i drive by. that is the issue a lot of people have, including myself. just my thoughts
I take your point and understand the confusion and frustration. But, the reason the malls are so full is that people are not acting responsibly. When groups of people go to the malls and ODRs and families' houses and friends' houses then the rate of infection goes up. The issue is not the lack of enforcement or some possible confusion about the rules, it is about self-entitled people not caring that they are contributing to the continued spread of the virus.

The only reaction to this is enhanced restrictions. The government has tried to walk a tightrope (Which must be hard considering they are all wearing f'ing clown shoes most of the time) to find a path that will keep the economy rolling without crushing our hospitals. However, the people with issues keep making bad choices and the circle continues. If people stopped making bad choices then the government would not have to make those choices for them.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #90
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think he’s doing gods work. I hope he tackles drunk driving next. It’s my right to get drunk and drive. The government cannot force me not to. It is my right. If you are concerned about your health, then drive sober. Together we can do this.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #91
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
No, this is an example of people who disagree with you challenging your position.

You're right, though, in the sense that many people have questions about the rules and guidelines. Most of it, however, comes under the guise of searching for loopholes. Still, ignorance of or disagreement with the rules neither justifies these incidents nor should be cause for their occurrence.

See?
Old 12-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #92
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
I take your point and understand the confusion and frustration. But, the reason the malls are so full is that people are not acting responsibly. When groups of people go to the malls and ODRs and families' houses and friends' houses then the rate of infection goes up. The issue is not the lack of enforcement or some possible confusion about the rules, it is about self-entitled people not caring that they are contributing to the continued spread of the virus.

The only reaction to this is enhanced restrictions. The government has tried to walk a tightrope (Which must be hard considering they are all wearing f'ing clown shoes most of the time) to find a path that will keep the economy rolling without crushing our hospitals. However, the people with issues keep making bad choices and the circle continues. If people stopped making bad choices then the government would not have to make those choices for them.

That clown shoe comment is pure gold
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #93
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I understand when people say the rules don’t entirely make sense. They don’t. It’s a fluid situation where they’re trying to keep stores open and the economy rolling. Why can people pack a mall while I can’t see my parents? It sucks, and it’s dumb, but we’re here for a reason.

When it comes to making your disagreement known, there are avenues to do it. I’m not aware of any situation where the right avenue is refusing to comply, refusing to give your name, and then resisting arrest. I’ve seen the same posters arguing in conversations about police shootings that getting shot is simply the inevitable outcome when you do these things, that it’s partially the fault of the victim, so why is the Ocean guy (who wasn’t shot, or tased, or beat up) suddenly getting all this sympathy just for being arrested? The cops have been defended for a lot worse and here, despite the swearing (oh no, swearing, whatever will we do, that’s much worse than shooting!) they acted entirely appropriately. That’s not even mentioning the fact there were signs posted, these people broke the rules, bylaw came to educate, then the police came to disperse people, and we’re talking about one ####### who couldn’t avoid getting arrested, let alone avoiding a ticket.

Be a grown up, disperse when you’re told. Don’t want to? Take your ticket and fight it in court, like a grown up. I’m as big a critic of the police as probably anyone on this board, but when we’re talking about them acting entirely appropriately and not using excessive force, and taking like 30 minutes to try and get compliance before the video even starts, and calling that over the line or some transgression? Jesus, we’ve lost the plot. Some of you are more anti-police than even I could imagine being.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 10:59 AM   #94
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See?
No.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #95
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I think he’s doing gods work. I hope he tackles drunk driving next. It’s my right to get drunk and drive. The government cannot force me not to. It is my right. If you are concerned about your health, then drive sober. Together we can do this.
School/playground zones while he’s at it! If people wanna drive 30 km/hr through these zones, that’s their choice, but don’t force me to!
Old 12-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #96
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
No ...

It's a public forum and you offered an opinion that some have disagreed with.

It's not dogpiling at all, and I don't think I've seen anyone respond disrespectfully.

But I know the feeling when I support Sam Bennett!
Oh yeah?...i see your Sam Bennett and raise you a "Lucic was the worst possible trade the Flames could have made"

And that made me laugh. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #97
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
See?

huh?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #98
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
No.
To simplify...its not MY position but rather an attempt as to explain why so many are resistant to all the different rules and some become combative about it.

Two things i do admit to though..the number of people at 10 at an outdoor rink. Seems ridiculous to me when they will be playing hockey games with far more than that on the ice at a time in less than a month,indoors at the dome.

Kids going back to school...though i understand the reasoning and even agree with it, it makes all the other sacrifices people have and are making somewhat pointless IMO.

Its an extremely complicated and fluid situation without question but it befuddles me how many see it as cut and dried and make massive judgments on others who dont see it the same way. Though that is clearly where we are at as a society now so i should not be surprised at all.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #99
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I’m not going to read through the whole thread to see if this point was made... but perhaps he wouldn’t identify himself because he’s ashamed of his name. If my name was Ocean.... you’d have to taze that admission out of me too.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #100
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I understand when people say the rules don’t entirely make sense. They don’t. It’s a fluid situation where they’re trying to keep stores open and the economy rolling. Why can people pack a mall while I can’t see my parents? It sucks, and it’s dumb, but we’re here for a reason.

When it comes to making your disagreement known, there are avenues to do it. I’m not aware of any situation where the right avenue is refusing to comply, refusing to give your name, and then resisting arrest. I’ve seen the same posters arguing in conversations about police shootings that getting shot is simply the inevitable outcome when you do these things, that it’s partially the fault of the victim, so why is the Ocean guy (who wasn’t shot, or tased, or beat up) suddenly getting all this sympathy just for being arrested? The cops have been defended for a lot worse and here, despite the swearing (oh no, swearing, whatever will we do, that’s much worse than shooting!) they acted entirely appropriately. That’s not even mentioning the fact there were signs posted, these people broke the rules, bylaw came to educate, then the police came to disperse people, and we’re talking about one ####### who couldn’t avoid getting arrested, let alone avoiding a ticket.

Be a grown up, disperse when you’re told. Don’t want to? Take your ticket and fight it in court, like a grown up. I’m as big a critic of the police as probably anyone on this board, but when we’re talking about them acting entirely appropriately and not using excessive force, and taking like 30 minutes to try and get compliance before the video even starts, and calling that over the line or some transgression? Jesus, we’ve lost the plot. Some of you are more anti-police than even I could imagine being.

What sucks and is dumb is people that don’t understand how these things are different

You can go to a mall and conduct business without being in close proximity to particular people, in a relatively small space, for a significant length of time. Presumably when visiting one’s parents, lots of people would introduce the risk of spending a significant amount of time in close proximity in an enclosed space

Oh, also the kid who got arrested
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote