Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 04:19 PM   #5021
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

As someone who moved to Red Deer 8 years ago. I would agree the general attitude towards minorities is a little behind. I have experienced racism. Some blatant some subtle. It is pretty conservative especially amongst the population from the surrounding areas.

Id say for the most part it is a minority as I have met many great people here and in general people are fairly friendly and Id say the younger generation is a lot different and more accepting. Just from my view.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mivdo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #5022
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
As someone who moved to Red Deer 8 years ago. I would agree the general attitude towards minorities is a little behind. I have experienced racism. Some blatant some subtle. It is pretty conservative especially amongst the population from the surrounding areas.

Id say for the most part it is a minority as I have met many great people here and in general people are fairly friendly and Id say the younger generation is a lot different and more accepting. Just from my view.
So where were all the good people in this instance? Seemed like the racists had the run of the place, were allowed to assault anti-racist protestors at will (not saying this is a Red Deer thing). If that happened at Calgary City Hall I'd have no choice but to intervene (and probably get hurt). So where is everyone? I'd be pretty ashamed if I just watched this thing go down and did nothing.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #5023
RubberDuck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
So where were all the good people in this instance? Seemed like the racists had the run of the place, were allowed to assault anti-racist protestors at will (not saying this is a Red Deer thing). If that happened at Calgary City Hall I'd have no choice but to intervene (and probably get hurt). So where is everyone? I'd be pretty ashamed if I just watched this thing go down and did nothing.
Like the 99.9% of people in Red Deer that had no idea there were 2 groups of morons protesting in their town, they were probably at home enjoying their weekends.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #5024
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
Like the 99.9% of people in Red Deer that had no idea there were 2 groups of morons protesting in their town, they were probably at home enjoying their weekends.
Says more about you if you think anti-racist protestors are morons.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #5025
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I can't speak of the situation as I was not there but maybe the good people were the ones getting attacked? Do you have to engage the other side to prove your sympathetic to the cause?

One side was there to shed light on anti-racism and the other side was obviously looking for confrontation.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #5026
RubberDuck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Says more about you if you think anti-racist protestors are morons.
What does that say about me exactly?
Old 09-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #5027
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Red Deer is no good because it is estimated the support there for the Oilers and Flames is approximately 60/40 (citation needed). No Good.

This study is related but not on point:

FAN IDENTIFICATION IN RED DEER, ALBERTA
https://dr.library.brocku.ca/bitstre...d=y&sequence=1

Last edited by troutman; 09-22-2020 at 07:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #5028
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Welp my landlord was one of pro-racist guys at the Ponoka press conference... He drove all the way from Edmonton to be there. Guess I need to start looking for a new place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #5029
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Minneapolis PD Suffocate Unarmed Black Man Who Later Dies in Hospital

The grand jury indicts one of the officers in the Breonna Taylor case:

https://apnews.com/28a283922de8784f6fca5c42fe8e5bca

Quote:
A grand jury has indicted one officer on criminal charges six months after Breonna Taylor was fatally shot by police in Kentucky. The jury presented its decision against fired officer Brett Hankison Wednesday to a judge in Louisville, where the shooting took place.
EDIT: Not charged for her actual death:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1308822336808906753

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Last edited by MissTeeks; 09-23-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #5030
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to be clear that he wasn't indicted for the murder. He's not in trouble for the bullets that hit her, but the ones that missed:

Quote:
A grand jury announced that Officer Brett Hankison was charged with three counts of wanton endangerment in connection to the police raid on the night of March 13.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #5031
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ There must have been white people in those neighbouring apartments.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #5032
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aim better.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #5033
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh... no. There was no issue with the officers shooting in Breonna Taylor's direction, because they were shooting at the guy in bed with her who was shooting at them and in fact shot one of the police in the leg. They fired back. The recklessness of firing in a manner that endangered people in neighbouring apartments was the only thing those officers did that was legally blameworthy, and as a result, that's the source of the charges.

The biggest issue with that case was not anything done by the police officers who actually fired their guns, but rather the people who obtained the warrant that put them there in the first place. And arguably the system that allowed the warrant to be executed.

I swear, that Breonna Taylor case is the most misunderstood, most misinformation-laden news item in the past five years.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #5034
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Ok... but it happened 'here', and I live here. I get random/anonymous (to me) racism in the US... but I won't tolerate it within my vicinity.

Seriously, to fight racism in Alberta do I have to join ANTIFA? I'm not super militant, but to let a gang of racists break-up/bully an anti-racism protest? Where I live? And I might get beat up for doing anything to stop it? Where the hell is the Centre in all this? Passively watching to see who wins? Deeply disappointed in how 'silent' the majority is.

WTF is happening to Alberta/Canada? Time to to be vigilant.
Antifa has their own racists by the way. And homophobes and pretty much anything that any other population has within it.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #5035
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Antifa has their own racists by the way. And homophobes and pretty much anything that any other population has within it.
Ah... so the anti-fascists are fascist just like everyone else? Seems pretty cut and dry... consider them marginalized. Nice. I see how this works.
The Following User Says Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #5036
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when the Breonna Taylor shooting was first discussed here and online the misinformation was bananas. Someone in this thread actually suggested that the warrant was suspicious and compared it to a shake down, suggesting that the name on the warrant was for someone already in custody.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #5037
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was the family attorney. He got the first narrative going that a lot of people still believe; that the police went to the wrong address to find a suspect already in custody and shot her in her bed. None of that was true.

Not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, the lawyer needs to do what's best for his client, and by presenting this narrative early it got everyone on their side and ultimately helped to get them the payoff they did (not that they will feel that's justice). But to so blatantly distort the truth, knowing it could result in riots and further unrest is also pretty ####ty.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:24 PM   #5038
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/30/u...gtype=Homepage

Pretty indepth investigation of the Breonna Taylor incident, paywall but usually first 10 articles are free.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #5039
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Ah... so the anti-fascists are fascist just like everyone else? Seems pretty cut and dry... consider them marginalized. Nice. I see how this works.
You really believe they are anti fascism? Walk me through that.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #5040
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
You really believe they are anti fascism? Walk me through that.
I never even heard of them until a few right-wing friends of mine started complaining about them. What do you believe? I get that its super obvious that an anti-fascist group is totally fascist... just... walk me through it.
Closed Thread