Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Suggestions for Kelowna Area

I figured I would tap into the collective CP wisdom about the Kelowna area, given that I haven't been there since about 1992.

My wife and I are going to a wedding near Field in August, and it just so happens this is our 10 year anniversary so we are extending the trip by a few days to do some things in the general area. Our current plan is to fly to Kelowna, spend a couple of days there, drive to Field, stay 2 nights for the wedding, and then drive to Calgary and fly home.

We are thinking of maybe doing some wineries, maybe renting a boat / jet ski to check out the lake, having some awesome meals and such. We might check out Glacier national park on the way to Field.

Any recommendations on the following would be greatly appreciated:

Places to stay in the Kelowna area (we are staying at Emerald Lake Lodge in Field)

Places to eat

Wineries to visit

Things to do

Anything I might be missing between Kelowna and Field that we should do

Also - to maybe narrow it down, my wife is not too outdoorsy. She would do a hike (in fact we are hiking into Yoho for the wedding) and watersport stuff, but is not into fishing or mountain biking. Camping is a hard no.

Thanks in advance!
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like you will be renting a car - you may want to check into renting in one province and returning in another.

since you are staying at the lodge in filed, anything in k-town would likely be a downgrade.

mission hill winery is nice.

personally, I would fly into Calgary, and explore Banff, lake louise and field - but since your wife is not into the outdoors, that may not be overly appealing to her.

in the summer k-town can be a traffic gong show. I am sure there is a Kelowna discussion on here somewhere.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=135957

Lake Okanagan Resort
http://www.lakeokanagan.com/

http://www.grapevinerestaurant.ca/

https://www.quailsgate.com/dine/

http://www.gasthaus.ca/

http://m.hillsidewinery.ca/bistro

https://www.thevibrantvine.com/ (Cool for 3-D art)

Last edited by troutman; 01-11-2018 at 09:23 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Where in Kelowna is the wedding? That could narrow down the area you'd want to stay in.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Where in Kelowna is the wedding? That could narrow down the area you'd want to stay in.
Yeah, this would be helpful. Kelowna isnt just Kelowna especially in terms of hikes or wineries, they're in the region all around.

I like doing the wine tours, the Okanagan has really gotten their wine together over the past few years.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My two favourite wineries in West Kelowna are The Hatch and Mount Boucherie. Both are much more laid back than Quail's Gate or Mission Hill. Quail's Gate does have a great restaurant if you're looking for fine dining.

If you'd prefer to do a wine tour, and not worry about driving, Wicked Wine Tours does a great job.

There are a few good spots for whitewater rafting along your drive if you wanted to do that, including Golden which is very close to Field.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have hit up 'The Hatch' on my last three trips, I really like it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wedding is near Field guys...

Anyway, if you are more of a beer guy then a wine guy there are a ton of new breweries in Kelowna and you can walk between about 5 of them in the downtown area these days. Also there is a really good ciderie call BC Fruits or something like that. Along with all the wineries in the area.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
No the wedding is near Field. We are trying to do something in addition to the wedding somewhere else. We are staying at Emerald Lake Lodge near Field for the wedding.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
looks like you will be renting a car - you may want to check into renting in one province and returning in another.

since you are staying at the lodge in filed, anything in k-town would likely be a downgrade.

mission hill winery is nice.

personally, I would fly into Calgary, and explore Banff, lake louise and field - but since your wife is not into the outdoors, that may not be overly appealing to her.

in the summer k-town can be a traffic gong show. I am sure there is a Kelowna discussion on here somewhere.
I'm actually from Canmore originally so I've seen a lot of that stuff, and she has too. We might stop by in Banff for a bit on the way back to Calgary though.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
I'm actually from Canmore originally so I've seen a lot of that stuff, and she has too. We might stop by in Banff for a bit on the way back to Calgary though.
Liar!

No one is 'from' Canmore....

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #12
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 on Gasthaus, although it's in Peachland.

Okanagan Street Food in the industrial area is really good for breakfast, and it's nearby to the Cidery and the BC Tree Fruit store.

Kelly O'Bryans for "Pachos".

Red Robins for the burgers.

Olympia or Yamas for Greek. Both have been good to me, however recent visit to Yamas, the roast lamb was spectacular.

For outdoorsy things, the Kettle Valley Railroad is quite nice and scenic. Or the OP can walk along Mission Creek, it's pretty flat and goes through some nice locations. Pretty much can follow it from the lake all the way to Gallagher's Canyon. It's mostly bike-able too. Both are nominally flat. There are lots of pathways around Knox Mtn. too that are nice, short, and scenic.

I haven't had to stay in any hotels, but avoid the Lakeside Airport Inn at all costs. It's not near the lake, it's not near the airport, and it isn't an "Inn".

Wineries - I like Summerhill and House of Rose. There isn't much to visit at House of Rose, but Summerhill tours are pretty good if you tune out the pyramid power stuff.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #13
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The Ex Nihilo winery makes good pizza.

That's all I've got.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #14
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's what you can do in about a five block radius in Kelowna. This place is pretty great for dinner..

http://www.lapetite.ca/

You have to book it a couple days ahead because he cooks for you specifically. You eat with other people which I think is fun but might not be your thing. And you can bring your own wine from your wine tour.

If you're there on a Friday make sure to go to Sandhill winery in Kelowna for happy hour at 5pm. They have music and cheap wine and gross tofu based food trucks.

Also just up the road is Knox Hill for a bit of a hike to a pretty view of the area. You can also drive up if you want...

http://30dayadventures.ca/knox-mount...-hike-kelowna/

On the way back to Calgary leave some time and check out Edge of the Earth winery. It's a fun side trip to a unique place with terrific wine for $10 a bottle.

http://edgeearth.ca/
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
I figured I would tap into the collective CP wisdom about the Kelowna area, given that I haven't been there since about 1992.

My wife and I are going to a wedding near Field in August, and it just so happens this is our 10 year anniversary so we are extending the trip by a few days to do some things in the general area. Our current plan is to fly to Kelowna, spend a couple of days there, drive to Field, stay 2 nights for the wedding, and then drive to Calgary and fly home.

We are thinking of maybe doing some wineries, maybe renting a boat / jet ski to check out the lake, having some awesome meals and such. We might check out Glacier national park on the way to Field.

Any recommendations on the following would be greatly appreciated:

Places to stay in the Kelowna area (we are staying at Emerald Lake Lodge in Field)

Places to eat

Wineries to visit

Things to do

Anything I might be missing between Kelowna and Field that we should do

Also - to maybe narrow it down, my wife is not too outdoorsy. She would do a hike (in fact we are hiking into Yoho for the wedding) and watersport stuff, but is not into fishing or mountain biking. Camping is a hard no.

Thanks in advance!
i recall hearing about a flames fan in kelowna that makes some pretty killer smoked ribs!

i hope it's not smoking when you are in town... last summer sucked for forest fire smoke - just brutal

...ohhhh.... and i'm serious about coming over for ribs!!!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #16
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know a a bunch of us come in for young stars. Careful what you ask for
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #17
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.raudz.com/

Never had a complaint when referring people to this spot.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i recall hearing about a flames fan in kelowna that makes some pretty killer smoked ribs!

i hope it's not smoking when you are in town... last summer sucked for forest fire smoke - just brutal

...ohhhh.... and i'm serious about coming over for ribs!!!
I've been expecting this post. It's been said by many far and far, but bc-chris; you are an incredible human being.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #19
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Kelly O'Bryans for "Pachos".

Red Robins for the burgers.

Olympia or Yamas for Greek.
This sounds like a recommendation from Bouw N Arrow. Olympia is fast food. Red Robins is a crappy burger chain, and Kelly O'Bryan's is a gimmicky pub. Why not just recommend hitting up the food court in Orchard Park Mall?

I'd recommend going to Ferrara's Italian Market.

Basil & Mint was nice. Littlest Hobo is good for sandwiches. Buy the Sea is amazing, and is comparable to The Fish Counter in Vancouver.

I've been to Summerhill for dinner. Like most wineries, the view is excellent and the food is meh. Mission Hill's restaurant is excellent, although it is pricey.

If you have time I'd drive down to Oliver and Penticton for better wineries and better food. Here I'd recommend the Miradoro Restaurant at Tinhorn Winery or Vanilla Pod at Poplar Grove for sit down restaurants.

In Oliver I'd recommend Hammer's House of Hog for outstanding pulled pork. It's some of the best I've ever had, and I recently spent a week in Austin, Texas.

For Mexican I'd go to Sofia's in Osoyoos/Oliver. It doesn't look like much, but I'm told it's the best Mexican place by many people. Also, if you look at the patrons, it's where all the local Mexicans eat. It's kind of in a truck next to a fruit stand, but completely worth it. I've only eaten there once, but on a recent trip my traveling partner ate there 5 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
This sounds like a recommendation from Bouw N Arrow. Olympia is fast food. Red Robins is a crappy burger chain, and Kelly O'Bryan's is a gimmicky pub. Why not just recommend hitting up the food court in Orchard Park Mall?
Dont forget to hit up SBarro!