Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #401
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Meanhile, for wired plebs like me with only a PSVR, Astro Bot is getting hugely positive reviews. I'll be picking it up by the weekend since I'd much rather have a third person platformer than yet another first person shooter.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #402
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Meanhile, for wired plebs like me with only a PSVR, Astro Bot is getting hugely positive reviews. I'll be picking it up by the weekend since I'd much rather have a third person platformer than yet another first person shooter.
I haven't used my PSVR much lately, but this game was a must buy for me. After being thoroughly "wowed" when trying the original Robot Rescue mini-game the first day of having PSVR, Astro Bot (and VR in general) no longer has the same "wow" effect. But what it does have is just plain platforming fun.

I played through the first of the five worlds, including the first boss battle (which was fantastic).

The controls are responsive. Astro Bot flies and jumps as smooth as any 3D platformer.

The environments are dynamic and varied. Good used of background detail, and any props bend and sway in the wind and react to getting punched or stepped on.

The camera (viewpoint) is very intuitive. All the levels are essentially linear, which means you never get lost in what direction you are supposed to go. There are a few times where the level design encourages you to move forward in your seat, look up, look down, look behind.

And each level has some fun music.

Each of the 26 levels has an associated challenge stage that can be unlocked. While the main levels are pretty easy, the challenge stages require precise movement and timing to get gold.

Overall it's just a really polished VR title. At $50, I suppose some will complain that it is still too short. The developers say there is 8-10 hours of content. I think that seems reasonable.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #403
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Moss was $40 for 4 hours, so that's definitely a better price to play ratio.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #404
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those (like me) who haven't jumped into VR yet there is a pretty good deal on PS VR starting Friday at EB games.

$299 gets you the headset, Camera, Astro Bot, & Moss.

SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #405
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a good deal. Do yourself a favor and pair it with this:

Firewall is an amazing game.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #406
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm not through Astro Bot myself, but it's just a different experience that makes me feel like a kid seeing Mario 64 for the first time. It's hard to explain it beyond the fact that it just makes me happy.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #407
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Huge anniversary sale on PSVR games right now.

Square Enix even finally put the Final Fantasy XV fishing simulator on sale. For, I think the first time.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #408
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Old 03-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #409
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

PS4 fans are basically in civil war right now as anti-VR people are losing their #### over the Sony Direct being VR focused.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #410
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iron Man VR was also announced for PSVR yesterday.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #411
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
PS4 fans are basically in civil war right now as anti-VR people are losing their #### over the Sony Direct being VR focused.
With Google entering the arena and doing things the way they are, Sony could be leaning harder into VR as a differentiator. The next generation is going to be a real interesting ride as Microsoft is getting cosier with other platforms, games are starting to cross-play, and Google is going to let you play AAA games without a bloody console.

If Sony can release a 2.0 of their headset that handles nausea a bit better, and add a move controller with better tracking and some movement sticks I think they'll take off.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #412
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Google is really just offering a PC play streaming service, and honestly, it's 50/50 that they make it three years before abandoning the concept. If they stick with it, I think they are a bigger threat to Steam than to Playstation.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:31 PM   #413
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Early leak, more details on the 16th.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #414
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love vr but I get so sick if there is any kind of movement
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #415
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post

Early leak, more details on the 16th.
Yeah, no thanks with the facebook changes. Wireless vive still rocking, especially now with 3080/3090's here.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #416
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.roadtovr.com/fake-facebo...lus%20headsets

With Facebook recently moving to require the use of a Facebook account with Oculus headsets we wanted to understand how violations of the company’s Facebook Community Standards would intersect with its headsets. The company says that violations—including accounts that do not use the user’s real name and date of birth—can result in losing access to Oculus headsets.

That means that even existing users who have a separate Oculus account will be required to migrate to a Facebook account to use any future Oculus headsets.

Many responded to the news by suggesting that people who don’t want a Facebook account should just make a fake account solely to use with their headset. But that won’t fly, Facebook says.

It isn’t clear how Facebook verifies that accounts are using an authentic name and date of birth, but the company says such accounts may be “flagged,” requiring users to remedy the violation before regaining full access to their headset.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:52 PM   #417
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...ext-vr-system/

Quote:
On top of those issues, my Quest 2 tests have expanded upon what Facebook previously announced in terms of how they'll moderate their Facebook-branded social spaces. Facebook Venues' beta includes a notice that the app, at all times for all users, performs a "rolling recording" of everything you see, say, and do within VR, so that you can tap a button to upload that footage and report other users' behavior. (Facebook insists this recording happens entirely locally on your device.)
Quote:
Should you ever tap the "report" button, the app's terms confirm that Facebook is well within its rights to retain any data you upload for as long as they deem necessary, with no statute of limitations. A similar data-retention scenario emerges every single time you block or mute someone within VR. If a stranger approaches you and does something unwelcome, and you choose to proactively push back with built-in block or mute functions, Facebook may silently and invisibly sic a moderator upon the situation to see what happened and how you may have reacted or what you might have said or done in response.

Even worse, if someone "near" you in an official Facebook VR space blocks or reports a user, even if you're just minding your own business, your behavior (including motions and speech) may be tracked by these same silent, invisible Facebook moderators. That data can be stored on Facebook's servers indefinitely without you being notified.

If you'd like to learn whether anyone on Facebook's staff watched you within any of these apps and for how long, Facebook advises you to take off your headset and visit the catch-all URL of facebook.com/support for more information.
So for any privacy minded folks please stay far away and save those coins for vive pro/valve index/ or maybe hp reverb g2

Or for those value conscious, 399$ CDN for 64gb or 549$ CDN at best buy might be worth it.

Last edited by Cliche; 09-20-2020 at 10:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #418
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Anyone wanting a good cheap deal on a PSVR set, can PM me. MY eyes can't focus that close to my face because of my laser eye surgery. Sucks, but my loss is someones gain!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:53 AM   #419
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

oculus only
Old 10-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #420
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My son was saving up for an Oculus, but after reading this thread, it looks like we are going PSVR.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote