Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #2921
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Seems fair to say that most gamers won't own both consoles though. Timed exclusives seems bad for most gamers, especially if it's geared to get people to buy their consoles. I understand making a game exclusive for your console, but timed doesn't seem like something to get excited over or something to encourage. To be fair I don't follow the console wars that closely so I could be missing out on something.

Borderland 3 made their game exclusive for the Epic Games PC store which was dumb and did nothing for the consumer.
I guess that's an issue for PlayStation only gamers then no? Something that Xbox only gamers have dealt with and heard all about how amazing it is for years.

Whether it be timed or full exclusives. It's an option now for Xbox and Microsoft. Which it only really had with Halo. Looks like it's evening the playing field a little bit more. And if Elder scrolls 6 is an exclusive it gives many people a reason to either buy an Xbox or upgrade their PC.

Either way this has been Sony's differentiator for the last console generation and now that Xbox might be fighting back it's "bad for gamers"
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #2922
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I guess that's an issue for PlayStation only gamers then no? Something that Xbox only gamers have dealt with and heard all about how amazing it is for years.

Whether it be timed or full exclusives. It's an option now for Xbox and Microsoft. Which it only really had with Halo. Looks like it's evening the playing field a little bit more. And if Elder scrolls 6 is an exclusive it gives many people a reason to either buy an Xbox or upgrade their PC.

Either way this has been Sony's differentiator for the last console generation and now that Xbox might be fighting back it's "bad for gamers"
Sony never got flack for doing it because they built up their roster of exclusives the right way, by actually investing in 3rd party developers and nurturing their own roster of first party developers.

The situation now, where both Sony and Microsoft are buying or attempting to buy already-established and major 3rd party developers, is bad regardless of which console you're a fanboy of.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 08:45 AM   #2923
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sony never got flack for doing it because they built up their roster of exclusives the right way, by actually investing in 3rd party developers and nurturing their own roster of first party developers.

The situation now, where both Sony and Microsoft are buying or attempting to buy already-established and major 3rd party developers, is bad regardless of which console you're a fanboy of.
This is exactly it.

Actually starting your own studios and investing money in the front end to develop games - that's good because even it it's an exclusive on one system it's money that being invested into introducing more games into the market.

Chasing after established studios and throwing huge amounts of money at them to "Buy" exclusives - That's bad since it's not actually adding more games to the market, just limiting access of the ones that were already being worked on.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #2924
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is exactly it.

Actually starting your own studios and investing money in the front end to develop games - that's good because even it it's an exclusive on one system it's money that being invested into introducing more games into the market.

Chasing after established studios and throwing huge amounts of money at them to "Buy" exclusives - That's bad since it's not actually adding more games to the market, just limiting access of the ones that were already being worked on.
Still only bad for single platform or PS5 gamers.

But after reading everything about the acquisition and Phil Spencer's comments it looks like exclusives weren't the reason why they acquired Zenimax, it was to get these games out to more people via Game Pass. But Xbox is still maintaining the PS5 timed exclusivity agreements for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo. So, I don't see why they wouldn't do this for some of the futures game releases, possibly Starfield.

We also know Microsoft isn't going to spend 7.5 billion dollars to reduce returns on games when they could make nearly double by putting those games out on competitor consoles.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #2925
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not only PS5, but Bethesda has had a lot of success porting games to the Switch as well

I can't imagine this deal was to make Bethesda exclusive, especially since Xbox has been opening their doors to PC and cross play etc so much

Having all of Bethesdas games on Gamepass for Xbox AND PC is going to be a huge selling point, that has to be the reason IMO. It's not only to compete with PS5, but also Steam and Epic. I expect Bethesda games to still be day 1 releases on PS5, and they'll continue to work with Nintendo on ports
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #2926
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Still only bad for single platform or PS5 gamers.

But after reading everything about the acquisition and Phil Spencer's comments it looks like exclusives weren't the reason why they acquired Zenimax, it was to get these games out to more people via Game Pass. But Xbox is still maintaining the PS5 timed exclusivity agreements for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo. So, I don't see why they wouldn't do this for some of the futures game releases, possibly Starfield.

We also know Microsoft isn't going to spend 7.5 billion dollars to reduce returns on games when they could make nearly double by putting those games out on competitor consoles.
Yes, still only bad for single platform or PS5 gamers, which, together, make up the vast vast majority of gamers.

And you'd be kidding yourself if you didn't think Sony is actively looking to buy up 3rd party developers right now and increase their share of exclusives. Which makes the current scenario bad for Xbox gamers, too.

It's great that this doesn't matter for the section of gamers that own two platforms, but that would be the minority.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #2927
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long shot... anyone want to sell me Ghost of Tsushima hard copy? In about two weeks I will be going into quarantine away from home and all I'll have is my PS4

Maybe TLOU2?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #2928
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Not only PS5, but Bethesda has had a lot of success porting games to the Switch as well

I can't imagine this deal was to make Bethesda exclusive, especially since Xbox has been opening their doors to PC and cross play etc so much

Having all of Bethesdas games on Gamepass for Xbox AND PC is going to be a huge selling point, that has to be the reason IMO. It's not only to compete with PS5, but also Steam and Epic. I expect Bethesda games to still be day 1 releases on PS5, and they'll continue to work with Nintendo on ports

I think you're in for a rude awakening. If Microsoft's goal is to get Gamepass subscribers then the easiest way to do that is to lure people over to the Xbox with exclusives. Best to expect that all future Bethesda games will be Xbox and PC exclusive.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #2929
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Long shot... anyone want to sell me Ghost of Tsushima hard copy? In about two weeks I will be going into quarantine away from home and all I'll have is my PS4

Maybe TLOU2?
I still haven't played Ghosts, been watching second hand sites for a deal.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #2930
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, still only bad for single platform or PS5 gamers, which, together, make up the vast vast majority of gamers.

And you'd be kidding yourself if you didn't think Sony is actively looking to buy up 3rd party developers right now and increase their share of exclusives. Which makes the current scenario bad for Xbox gamers, too.

It's great that this doesn't matter for the section of gamers that own two platforms, but that would be the minority.
Unfortunately for Sony, they don't have the same buying power as Microsoft. When Microsoft doubles you in revenue each year it is harder to spend billions of dollars on acquiring top tier developer studios. What Sony has done, has worked for them.

And like I said earlier, it looks like Microsoft won't have exclusives the same way Sony does. Worse case scenario for PS5 gamers will probably be a timed exclusive and I assume it will be closer to 6 months, if that.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #2931
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been taking advantage of Game Pass and playing Darksiders 3. Those that enjoyed the first two would enjoy this one. The only gripe I have with Darksiders 3 is that there's no map function so you need to remember where to go back to when you get new powers.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #2932
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I think you're in for a rude awakening. If Microsoft's goal is to get Gamepass subscribers then the easiest way to do that is to lure people over to the Xbox with exclusives. Best to expect that all future Bethesda games will be Xbox and PC exclusive.
I'm sticking with PC so I'm not really too concerned about it. I guess we'll see
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:04 PM   #2933
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yay beat Hades for the first time!
Old 09-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #2934
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yay beat Hades for the first time!
Nice! What weapon did you make it out with?
Old 09-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #2935
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Squad finally comes out of early access today. Probably my favourite FPS in the last few years, Canadian developer too.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #2936
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sony never got flack for doing it because they built up their roster of exclusives the right way, by actually investing in 3rd party developers buying exclusives and nurturing their own roster of first party developers.
Let's call it what it actually is.

FWIW, I don't think these properties become exclusives now that they're under Microsoft's ownership. While Microsoft seems to be laser focused on recurring revenues where ever they can find them (see Office), meaning these will absolutely be part of the Game Pass value proposition to boost subscribers, they also seem to be perfectly content to support as many platforms as will have them, it seems. Hell, cross-play, xCloud....

Last edited by TorqueDog; 09-23-2020 at 09:04 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #2937
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Nice! What weapon did you make it out with?
I used the gun. I got a few early Zeus boons so had a lot of lightning going on, then I got the weapon upgrade that makes the special damage yourself but do something like 400% damage. Add in a 3rd dash, some crit percent upgrades and the one where fountains give a full heal and it was pretty reasonable.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #2938
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trails 3rd is super weird. That is all.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #2939
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps.../1100-6482529/

Sony confirms that if you own the PS4 version of Spider-Man you won't get a free update. It does say you'll be able to upgrade to the Deluxe Edition if you own Myles Morales.

Personally i don't think I'll bother. I have so many games that I don't have the time to replay games just for updated visuals.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #2940
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I used the gun. I got a few early Zeus boons so had a lot of lightning going on, then I got the weapon upgrade that makes the special damage yourself but do something like 400% damage. Add in a 3rd dash, some crit percent upgrades and the one where fountains give a full heal and it was pretty reasonable.
Right on. I think the gun was the last weapon I cleared the game with. It sure does feel great when you can snag the right boons/upgrades.