Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2020, 07:57 AM   #41
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I used to deliver the evening new paper back in NS when I was growing up. It was mostly good but sometimes after school I didn't want to go do it when my friends wanted to go do something, but I liked the money. One day they did not get dropped off so I called them up and they said to come to the building and pick them up. I got a tour of the facility and that was cool as an 10 year old.
I then moved to Calgary and delivered the Sun to an apartment complex, that was great on those -30 mornings. I used to pick them up and then sit and read the sports section first, then load them in my bad and deliver them.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:00 AM   #42
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, I remember deleviery the Dawson Creek Daily News every day after school back in the day. Was a desirable job in grade 6, I could afford all the newest PS2 games

The Ford dealership tipped me a quarter for Christmas. A goddamn quarter

Their paper went in the dumpster for a month
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #43
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

In news that shouldn't shock anyone -- both the Herald and the Sun have announced they will no longer be printing a Monday edition of the newspaper:

Quote:
Effective Monday, Oct. 17, we will no longer be producing a Monday print edition of the Calgary Herald. The decision reflects the rapidly changing news consumption habits of our readers, the needs of our advertisers and the escalating costs of printing and delivering a printed product.

The Monday edition will still be available digitally with ePaper, a digital replica of our printed product, so there will be no change in your subscription rate. It will publish the same stories, photos, columnists and features you are accustomed to in the printed format.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/notic...herald-readers
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #44
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Monday edition will still be available digitally with ePaper, a digital replica of our printed product, so there will be no change in your subscription rate.

Well, that's nice of them to make sure they can keep charging the same amount for the subscription.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:33 PM   #45
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
In news that shouldn't shock anyone -- both the Herald and the Sun have announced they will no longer be printing a Monday edition of the newspaper:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/notic...herald-readers
Young paperboy Slava would've killed for a morning to sleep in, even if it only meant a little while later because of school!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:33 PM   #46
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: didn’t realise this was a thread bump - I wrote pretty much the same thing I did two years ago.

Last edited by Barnet Flame; 09-21-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:09 PM   #47
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
I remember when the Sun was called The Albertan.
I remember when it was only Sun at Tim Horton’s restaurants. Never the Herald.

We are still getting Herald every morning although it has become yesterday’s news sometime ago. Just a habit/ritual, I guess…
Old 09-21-2022, 03:39 PM   #48
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I remember when it was only Sun at Tim Horton’s restaurants. Never the Herald.

We are still getting Herald every morning although it has become yesterday’s news sometime ago. Just a habit/ritual, I guess…
Me too, I enjoy reading the paper with my morning coffee, but usually skip most of the breaking news since I've already read it and focus more on the in-depth pieces etc. Sitting at the kitchen table with an iPad doesn't feel quite the same.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 04:18 PM   #49
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always hated reading newspapers, fingers immediately black and inky.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:30 PM   #50
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still read the morning Herald with breakfast. I don’t want to read it on my iPad, it is clunky vs just flipping and scanning the physical pages, and I already spend the majority of my day looking at screens.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:35 PM   #51
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read a Sun at a cafe the other day and the entire thing seemed smaller. Not in terms of page number but just the actual dimensions. It seemed wee.

My folks still have a Calgary Herald subscription but they say that it only actually gets delivered about "half the time" yet they pay the full subscription no matter what.

No wonder it's dying.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #52
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still get the two papers delivered, too, but I abandoned the Herald/Sun years ago. They're not even worth it for covering the floor of a room you're about to paint.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #53
Delgar
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Yeah its smaller, has less news, and because we're all online, most of us already know the story if you happen to pick up the paper version... the news has changed or evolved by the time you read it.

Its a business in severe decline. Its kind of sad. I remember when Ken King was with the Herald, those were among the glory years for the paper.

I'd have a piece of toast or light breakfast while reading the newspaper. Those days are now long gone. Replaced by the internet.
Delgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:59 PM   #54
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Only ever bought the Tuesday Sun because it had player stats for every NHL team in the sports section that day. This was in the 90's/early 2000's before I got the internet though. Haven't bothered with newspapers since.
BlAcKNoVa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:03 PM   #55
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll miss daily newspapers when they inevitably fail. Long time ago the Saturday career sections (two sections) were bigger than the entire paper today. There is nothing like holding a paper newspaper.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 06:19 PM   #56
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Perhaps of interest, the last paper I was at (until 2018) was a monthly, served a niche market, was very lean, and surprisingly profitable. Yes, ad sales were on the decline from the golden days, and I don't want to go into specific names and numbers, but gross profits from the paper alone went into funding a large portion of the org's other programs.

I was brought on to help target another market, develop an online platform, trim a bit more fat, and then I was abruptly out due to medical reasons. Covid then happened, and they were absolutely hammered in terms of ad sales. It doesn't look like they've really bounced back.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:28 PM   #57
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Perhaps of interest, the last paper I was at (until 2018) was a monthly, served a niche market, was very lean, and surprisingly profitable. Yes, ad sales were on the decline from the golden days, and I don't want to go into specific names and numbers, but gross profits from the paper alone went into funding a large portion of the org's other programs.

I was brought on to help target another market, develop an online platform, trim a bit more fat, and then I was abruptly out due to medical reasons. Covid then happened, and they were absolutely hammered in terms of ad sales. It doesn't look like they've really bounced back.
They definitely could though (knowing where you were). That’s a market that probably has a couple decades at least!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #58
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I don't miss the dirty feel of newsprint or the awkward broadsheets they printed on that made you hold the whole thing out in a funny way. It would have been better if they printed in the tabloid or magazine format for holding (and delivering).

I remember McDonalds having newspapers and all the retirees would grab them with a coffee.

I remember delivering flyers and that paper that went to people without a subscription. was it called "Neighbors" or something like that? What a horrible scam, indenturing children into slavery. They actually shipped you bundles of each of the flyers un-collated and my family had to spread them all out in our foyer and assembling sets of flyers to deliver. That took hours. Then your parents would burn gas driving slowly behind you during -20 temperatures because there was no way you could carry all the papers with you as you walked from house to house.

I'm a conservative hipster guy who loves retro things but good riddance to the old newsprint industry and it's inefficiencies and waste.

One day we'll probably have a thread "remember the weekly newspaper?" and then nothing.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-21-2022 at 07:06 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:16 PM   #59
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

For a time I was fascinated with the history of print and typesetting.

Up until the late 70s, every news paper was made by an incredibly labor intensive process where completed copy from upstairs would be sent down to the typesetting dungeons below. This was closer to blacksmithing/forging than what you would assume to be printing newspapers.

The hot metal method involved men setting metal molds of type on a tray, and then pouring molten lead into each tray to literally cast the typeface that would get inked to print the entire page.

Every time there was a technological innovation in the industry, hundreds of thousands of jobs were lost. Now we are in an age where the journalist writes, edits, submits, and literally delivers his stories digitally cutting out hundreds of people who used to be doing it behind the scenes.

Here's one of the early transitions when the hot metal typesetters were retired and forced to move to computers. Many people lost their jobs although this NY Times documentary seems to be more gracious about that. In the UK, the unionized workers voted to strike and Rupert Murdoch opened a secret printing plant without the workers knowledge and this created another brutal incident in history called the Wapping Dispute 1986.

If you pay attention, you'll see actual cut & paste in action near the end!

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-21-2022 at 09:22 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #60
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I don't miss the dirty feel of newsprint or the awkward broadsheets they printed on that made you hold the whole thing out in a funny way. It would have been better if they printed in the tabloid or magazine format for holding (and delivering).

I remember McDonalds having newspapers and all the retirees would grab them with a coffee.

I remember delivering flyers and that paper that went to people without a subscription. was it called "Neighbors" or something like that? What a horrible scam, indenturing children into slavery. They actually shipped you bundles of each of the flyers un-collated and my family had to spread them all out in our foyer and assembling sets of flyers to deliver. That took hours. Then your parents would burn gas driving slowly behind you during -20 temperatures because there was no way you could carry all the papers with you as you walked from house to house.

I'm a conservative hipster guy who loves retro things but good riddance to the old newsprint industry and it's inefficiencies and waste.

One day we'll probably have a thread "remember the weekly newspaper?" and then nothing.
My brother did flyer delivery at one point when he was a kid. The best weeks were when they dropped off samples to deliver. We would always keep a lot of the snacks or boxes of cereal for ourselves. My mom enjoyed the free dishwasher and laundry detergent.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote