Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Actually...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Goalies that were recently on the move that the Flames passed on... choosing to spend cap and Draft picks elsewhere:

Jones, Talbot, Grubauer, Fluery [sic.], Bishop, Raanta ( all in the West)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Flames never passed on Bishop. Tried landing him 3 times.

Never passed on Fleury. Tried to get him actually.
The prices on those two were way, way too high. Glad we passed personally.

They're good goaltenders, but at the same time we were not in a position to use them to their maximum utility compared to their acquisition costs.

Could you imagine giving up the assets and cap to acquire Bishop or Fleury and still missing the playoffs?

And we thought we were mad at the end of last season, that would have been a bloodbath.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 09-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #23
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

In hindsight I could see a lot of buyer's remorse when it comes to Bishop, absolutely.

But to suggest the Flames passed on those two goaltenders (Bishop & Fleury) isn't accurate. And the truth is we don't know if any inquiry was made by Treliving about the other goalies mentioned. To suggest any of these guys were passed on would be a guess.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In hindsight I could see a lot of buyer's remorse when it comes to Bishop, absolutely.

But to suggest the Flames passed on those two goaltenders (Bishop & Fleury) isn't accurate. And the truth is we don't know if any inquiry was made by Treliving about the other goalies mentioned. To suggest any of these guys were passed on would be a guess.
No....I dont think so. I'll apologize if I'm remembering incorrectly but I recall Treliving kicking the tires of both Bishop and Fleury but finding the acquisition costs just too rich and then passing.

Which, in my mind, is not wrong.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #25
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
No....I dont think so. I'll apologize if I'm remembering incorrectly but I recall Treliving kicking the tires of both Bishop and Fleury but finding the acquisition costs just too rich and then passing.

Sorry, I meant the other guys mentioned aside from Fleury & Bishop would be a guess.

As for the two aforementioned, I don't believe they passed on them. The Flames clearly tried to make deals happen. That isn't passing. (sorry for the late edit)

Last edited by Toonage; 09-07-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, I meant the other guys mentioned aside from Fleury & Bishop would be a guess.
Fair enough, I didnt get that.

I still feel that management's attitude towards the goaltending position shows that they are confident in the guys we have but just not yet, hence Smith.

Rittich in my opinion was a welcome surprise, but I think the reins will be taken over sooner rather than later.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #27
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smith is getting to be too old. Put me in the camp who thinks we are a solid team that is going to have very below average goaltending dragging us down most of this season and really missed the boat on a lot of good above average young goalies who could turn into something special.

I think there is too much of a focus on finding the next kipper, we don't actually need to find the next kipper, just someone who can be a top 10 -15 goalie in this league year in year out who is also under 30 years old.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #28
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

People say that age is just a state of mind. I say it's more about the state of your body.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #29
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Smith is getting to be too old. Put me in the camp who thinks we are a solid team that is going to have very below average goaltending dragging us down most of this season and really missed the boat on a lot of good above average young goalies who could turn into something special.

I think there is too much of a focus on finding the next kipper, we don't actually need to find the next kipper, just someone who can be a top 10 -15 goalie in this league year in year out who is also under 30 years old.
That's what Kiprusoff was.

He had two lights out seasons, two seasons of .920/2.30 GAA play, and then he had a bunch of average seasons as well.

Which is all you can ask from a goalie.

Mike Smith's biggest issue is his health. He's a fantastic goalie when he's healthy. If the Flames can keep his starts to the low 50s, or even better, one of the backups is able to play 40+, the team is in good shape.

If this team has All Star Mike Smith, they should be expected to win playoff rounds.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #30
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Treliving has had how many years now to get this sorted out? I'd understand where you're coming from if we hadn't just been pasting one band-aid over another since Kiprusoff retired. Enough already.
But it’s not a simple thing to solve, and Calgary isn’t even close to the only team that has hadn’t luck on their side.

Look at the great starting goaltenders across the league. Look how many were drafted by the club they currently play for. Of those who were acquired in a trade over the past 5 years, look at how many Calgary was in on at some point.

“Sorting this out” isn’t a snapping of the fingers and making it so. It takes effort, and it takes luck. You can’t say Treliving hasn’t put in a full effort, so how do you suppose he tackles the luck side of things?

We have Smith, we have guys in the pipeline, and there are options that appear every year. If we’re lucky, one of those things leaves us with a good to great starter next year. If we’re not, none of them do, but goaltending is one of the biggest gambles for every franchise, nearly every year, and it’s so important that there is NEVER a shortage of competition for highly ranked draft picks or potential starters. All you can ask is that your GM puts the effort into solidifying the position, and nobody can say Treliving hasn’t.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #31
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, there is a goalie store, with goalies on the shelves. There for the picking, and the only reason none are a Flame is that they were passed over. I mean, all they had to do was pick one of them, and he'd be a Flame, right ricardodw?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #32
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
As I like to say, age is just a number. A very large number.
that's why the person who suggested changing aging to leveling up is onto something.

Smith could say he's not 36 years old but just hit level 36.
sounds much more impressive. think how good he'll be at level 40!
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
that's why the person who suggested changing aging to leveling up is onto something.

Smith could say he's not 36 years old but just hit level 36.
sounds much more impressive. think how good he'll be at level 40!
Its all fun and games until someone shatters a hip.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #34
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

The Flames best case scenario is one of Rittich or Gillies looking like they're ready to take on 41 starts next year, and Smith coming back on a one year deal with reduced pay.

That buys Parsons more time, and avoids the team having to take another swing for the fences with assets.

My money is on Gillies if he had an equal shot, but the contract thing concerns me.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #35
spydermal
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Let's just go browse the goalie district on 3rd.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #36
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames plan going into the season should be to play Smith no more than 55 games. Hopefully less because Rittich takes a step up this season. Ideally you would want an even split between Rittich and Smith with Rittich looking like a NHL starter. That way you can be somewhat confident to go into next season with Rittich and Gillies.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #37
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to see Smith down to 52 games, leaving 30 for the other two.

I want to see both getting a chance to play and show what they can do, with 20-odd games for the one that earns it, and 10-odd games for the other.

With that split, A) Smith is still fresh for the playoffs, and B) we get a good idea of where Rittich and Gillies are, developmentally.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #38
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I would like to see Smith down to 52 games, leaving 30 for the other two.

I want to see both getting a chance to play and show what they can do, with 20-odd games for the one that earns it, and 10-odd games for the other.

With that split, A) Smith is still fresh for the playoffs, and B) we get a good idea of where Rittich and Gillies are, developmentally.
then you have to hope that the flames are in a position they can afford to throw games out there for goalie development and the young guys do run with it.
If there's a dogfight for the playoffs, I can see them riding smith as long as they can and worrying about the playoffs if they get there.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #39
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Now I could be the one mistaken but I thought Treliving definitely had an opportunity to get both of them. I recall both Fleury and Bishop mentioning that they thought at one point they'd be coming to Calgary??

For Bishop's case, it sounded as though the owners stepped in at some point. I recall him saying like he wasn't going to go to Calgary cause he already went down that road (where he thought the trade would be worked out) but it fell through.

For Fleury, I thought he actually gave a quote at some point saying he thought he was coming to Calgary (implying he approved to waive his NTC).
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
Now I could be the one mistaken but I thought Treliving definitely had an opportunity to get both of them. I recall both Fleury and Bishop mentioning that they thought at one point they'd be coming to Calgary??

For Bishop's case, it sounded as though the owners stepped in at some point. I recall him saying like he wasn't going to go to Calgary cause he already went down that road (where he thought the trade would be worked out) but it fell through.

For Fleury, I thought he actually gave a quote at some point saying he thought he was coming to Calgary (implying he approved to waive his NTC).
Its possible, but I dont recall any of that.