Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #81
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I doubt he'll be protected. He turns 38 less than a week into Seattle's first season. Engelland was the oldest player Vegas took in their expansion draft and he was only 35. The next-oldest was Fleury, who was 32.
100% he would be protected, as he would have the most trade value.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #82
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

So long as the Flames don't sell a bunch of picks to cut deals I will be happy.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #83
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I don't think we need to worry about protecting Gio. His agent can tell Seattle that if they do decide to pick him, he will just retire the second his name is announced. Problem easily solved...
I'd call his bluff big time. He'll likely play more than just that last year too.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #84
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
If his play craters next season, which could very well happen, then you can leave him safely exposed without much risk of losing him. An honor spot in my estimation is counter productive to the business of staying as competitive as an organization can be.

Flames have a bad history of allowing heartstrings dictate sound business decisions beneficial to the team (see iginla)
Exactly this.

How Giordano plays and his intent on re-signing at a reasonable rate will determine whether he is left unprotected.

Can't let emotions dictate the decisions and only time will tell what the right hockey move will be. A steep drop off in play is not out of the question. In fact, if it were almost anyone but Gio, I would guarantee it.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #85
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
So long as the Flames don't sell a bunch of picks to cut deals I will be happy.
I would think (hope) most teams learned their lesson from last time. I think almost every one of these scenarios from last time was viewed as a massive blunder by the team that made the deal with Vegas.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #86
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

can't believe Vegas doesn't have to give up a player...Stanley cup finalist, division winner, most desirable FA destination

Fack
Old 07-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #87
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
can't believe Vegas doesn't have to give up a player...Stanley cup finalist, division winner, most desirable FA destination

Fack
Turns out $500 million goes a long way.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #88
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've resigned myself to the fact that the Flames are gonna be giving up someone good.

Assuming Lucic waives...and somehow the Flames don't add anyone before the expansion draft:

Forwards: Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Backlund, Dube, Mangiapane
Defense: Gio, Andersson, Hanifin

Just barely able to hang onto everyone under these most unlikely circumstances.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #89
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Backlund have a full NTC? If he doesn't have to be protected, they should ave to spot for someone else imo.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #90
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I've resigned myself to the fact that the Flames are gonna be giving up someone good.

Assuming Lucic waives...and somehow the Flames don't add anyone before the expansion draft:

Defense: Gio, Andersson, Hanifin

Just barely able to hang onto everyone under these most unlikely circumstances.
I don’t think Backlund is an automatic protection. He will be 32 at the time of the expansion draft, and locked in at $5.35M for 3 more years. A lot can happen between now and then, but I could see a world where you expose a player who may be a 3rd line centre or a 2nd line centre on a bad team who makes $5.35M a year. These playoffs may very well play into it as well, as Backlund was an absolute disaster in last year’s playoffs.

Not meaning to crap on Backs too heavily, but it seems within the realm of possibility he could be exposed. If it comes down to Dube or Mangiapane Vs. Backlund? You expose Backlund in my opinion.

I’m not overly worried about the expansion draft. This team isn’t some powerhouse we need to be afraid about maintaining. We’re a consistently middling team, and Subtracting a 32 year old 2nd line centre is hardly going to crush the organization. Hell, it may help force them make some tough decisions that should be making anyways.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-30-2020 at 04:50 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #91
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Assuming Calgary signs Hall (+ Lucic waives) can't the Flames just trade one of the following for an exempt prospect or a pick before the expansion draft happens?

David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #92
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Lucic waives, I don't mind the idea of protecting 8. (assuming we re-sign Brodie or acquire an equivalent replacement):

Forwards:Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm
Defense: Gio, Andersson, Hanifin, Brodie/replacement for Brodie

Leaves Backlund, Dube and Mangiapane exposed but IMO these players are about equivalent in value and we'd be losing 1 anyway.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #93
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'm not interested in losing Mangiapane or Dube, I think they're both going to be core pieces.

You're better off risking a loss of 38 year old Gio instead of losing maybe 10 years of a Dube or Mangiapane.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #94
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Lucic waives, I don't mind the idea of protecting 8. (assuming we re-sign Brodie or acquire an equivalent replacement):

Leaves Backlund, Dube and Mangiapane exposed but IMO these players are about equivalent in value and we'd be losing 1 anyway.
I'd rather just expose Gio, or do a deal where they get a lesser player and better pick for a worse pick and agreement not to take certain guys
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #95
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This would crush my soul. This team already puts too much $ into defence. Losing a core piece up front just so we can maintain useless defensive depth would hurt my heart.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #96
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I see literally zero situations where we protect 8. The forward we lose in that scenario would be much better than the defenceman we'd lose in the 7/3 scenario.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #97
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This would crush my soul. This team already puts too much $ into defence. Losing a core piece up front just so we can maintain useless defensive depth would hurt my heart.
Let's say for example, the Flames were to sign Taylor Hall and re-sign Brodie and make no other changes to the roster. (probably not possible with the salary cap but this is hypothetical LOL. You have to assume that Brad will try to improve the roster in some way) That leaves 2 good players you can't protect.

Also, pretty much every team that gave Vegas extra assets to protect players got ####ed. (I think Winnipeg came out ok but that's it)

I think it's inevitable that a good Flame will become a Kraken.

I have a feeling that leaving Gio unprotected will be a non-starter for Treliving.

Last edited by Geeoff; 07-30-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #98
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Turns out $500 million goes a long way.
I'm sure that guarantee wasn't a deal breaker
Old 07-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #99
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let's say for example, the Flames were to sign Taylor Hall and re-sign Brodie and make no other changes to the roster. (probably not possible with the salary cap but this is hypothetical LOL. You have to assume that Brad will try to improve the roster in some way) That leaves 2 good players you can't protect.

Also, pretty much every team that gave Vegas extra assets to protect players got ####ed. (I think Winnipeg came out ok but that's it)

I think it's inevitable that a good Flame will become a Kraken.

I have a feeling that leaving Gio unprotected will be a non-starter for Treliving.
Sentimentality aside, there is no good reason to use an expansion slot on a 38 year old signed for one year.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #100
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Sentimentality aside, there is no good reason to use an expansion slot on a 38 year old signed for one year.
If you are exposing him, you might as well trade him at the deadline because he gets taken 100%.

Gives the team legitimacy and they'll be looking to make an impact just like Vegas did in their first year and what a player to add for the next few years.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote