Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Float Life

Has anybody on here ever gone to Float Life? I just want to know if it actually does the body/ mind good. a coworker a while back told me about this place but never really thought much about it until now.

I recently tore my MCL on my right knee about a month ago playing shinny and currently going through rehab. Does it actually relieve some of the inflammation and makes the healing process a little quicker?

I'm itching to get back in net. Haha.

Thanks.
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I liked it for some dedicated relaxation and recovery time.

Go in a bit exhausted of you can and enjoy it. It helps you shut off. Can't comment how it may help with your physical recovery.

Go on Groupon, grab a discount, and give it a try.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
Has anybody on here ever gone to Float Life? I just want to know if it actually does the body/ mind good. a coworker a while back told me about this place but never really thought much about it until now.

I recently tore my MCL on my right knee about a month ago playing shinny and currently going through rehab. Does it actually relieve some of the inflammation and makes the healing process a little quicker?

I'm itching to get back in net. Haha.

Thanks.
Your knee may feel better temporarily but there's no evidence that something like that will help you return to sport faster. That's what therapy is for!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 02:26 AM   #4
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Your knee may feel better temporarily but there's no evidence that something like that will help you return to sport faster. That's what therapy is for!
Trust me, it takes more than therapy. It takes time and even then depending on age it may never feel like 100% again. 4 years later I get the odd reminder
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my wife got me two float at a different place. i have went once and it was interesting, but i am trying to get motivated to go again.

you soak in a lukewarm pod of water. you can have spa type music of not. i fell asleep while floating
Old 02-23-2020, 06:13 AM   #6
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do a float two or three times a year (although not at Float Life), scheduled to go today.

It's about as relaxing and therapeutic as a good massage, and you can expect to feel fairly loose afterwards for a day or so. I would argue that its much more about addressing mental fatigue that any physical ailment.

I just go to lay float in the pitch black and dead silence. Eventually the mind slows down and actual relaxation occurs. Although I haven't fallen asleep yet (I've come close) and I suspect most people do from time to time.

tldr; Floating won't get you back on the ice any faster, but it'll boost your spirits and keep you in a good frame of mind.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Float Life still open and somewhere else? My office is right near the one in Kensington and I’m quite sure it’s closed?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Is Float Life still open and somewhere else? My office is right near the one in Kensington and I’m quite sure it’s closed?
I was thinking of going to this location but if you say it's closed than I guess I won't have to try out the place. I was told there was two but it only shows the Kensington location.
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #9
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
I was thinking of going to this location but if you say it's closed than I guess I won't have to try out the place. I was told there was two but it only shows the Kensington location.
Don’t take my word for it though. To me the experience sounds like a coffin and I have no desire to be buried alive! I just think the sign is down, but they could have moved.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Thats what my Therapist keeps telling me and now I'm starting to wonder about her motivations.

On another note, I thought about this for a while especially in dealing with chronic pain, but wouldnt it just be floating in a tank feeling nothing except the constant pain?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #11
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I went with my whole family on the in-law side. Don't worry! Everyone gets their own private pod. I was probably the most reluctant of the bunch - but what are you going to do when the whole damn fam wants to go?

I selected Silence and Darkness and got in the tank. The darkness is not complete. For safety reasons there's dim lighting on the handles in case you need to make an unplanned exit. You can also select a variety of (pleasant) in-tank lighting options. There's button in the tank - you can change your mind at any time for lights and audio.

I found it very floaty. Not as in "neutrally buoyant" but totally supported by the water and floating on top of it.

The water temperature is controlled, I would guess it's very slightly warmer than body temp.

I expected to be bored out of my ever-loving mind. I splished. I splashed. I played with the lights. I pretended to be a jellyfish and spun around in the tank a few times. I wished I'd worn a watch. I tried to remember pi radians. Then my brain switched off. And I do mean OFF. I experienced a profoundly altered state of consciousness. The kind of altered state where you understand quantum physics and string theory. The kind of state where you understand the.purpose of the universe and your own part in it. I snapped back into myself and was overwhelmed by a sense of profound and heart-wrenching gratitude for simply being alive. I sobbed uncontrollably for some minutes before settling into giggles, then silent happy floating.

There was a beep. The lights came on and my pod opened. I got out, had a shower, put my clothes on and joined my family in the lounge.

My MIL said that it felt nice on her knee. My SIL said it felt nice on her neck. Rico said he thought it was relaxing. I never quite found the words to say that I'd left my body, met god, and understood for a brief moment the purpose of the universe.

I'm not convinced it's got much value as a physical treatment. But it was one hell of a mind####.

Last edited by annasuave; 02-24-2020 at 07:25 PM.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annasuave For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #12
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

nm

Last edited by annasuave; 02-24-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:00 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

But was Serenity tough on the Ol' Coconut?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #14
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
But was Serenity tough on the Ol' Coconut?

Yeah...I was way more Homer than I was Lisa in there. 🤪
Old 02-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #15
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don't live in Calgary but I am a member at a Floating facility down in Seattle. I used to go 5 x weekly but now I'm down to twice a month (really just scheduling and location; otherwise I would go more often).

For me it's primarily about mental health; perfect quiet and complete darkness (once you get comfortable with it) is an incredible atmosphere for meditation and gathering your thoughts. It's amazing how infrequently we find sustained quiet day-to-day (especially if you have kids), and I love it.

I also have a problematic hip flexor and I've noticed some benefit to floating there as well (I don't have to stretch/express it nearly as often).

I would definitely recommend it if you're curious; I tried it as a Groupon (down here they run them all the time for those) where you could get your first three floats for $100. Don't trust your first time - it takes a while to not panic and just relax (I think I was nervous for about 45 minutes of the first one hour float). The second time I relaxed sooner and felt some of the benefits; the third time I was hooked.

I always come out of there feeling refreshed, motivated, and focused. Unless I fall asleep which probably happens a quarter of the time, but hey - a nap is a nap.
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #16
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to float quite often and loved it. Would have a tank in my home if it were convenient.

It's just a super relaxing experience. Always made me feel refreshed and coming outside afterwards I would have much more sensory appreciation of the world.

I also found the salt was great for my skin and relaxation of my muscles generally.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #17
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I also used to float quite often and found it to be a great meditation retreat.

I am in a career where I look at screens all day and tend to be attached to my phone after that. It gave me a detox for an hour to just be. Calm my mind and slow down.

Plus, the place I go to down here always has great soaps & shampoos for the showers after
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #18
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
I went with my whole family on the in-law side. Don't worry! Everyone gets their own private pod. I was probably the most reluctant of the bunch - but what are you going to do when the whole damn fam wants to go?

I selected Silence and Darkness and got in the tank. The darkness is not complete. For safety reasons there's dim lighting on the handles in case you need to make an unplanned exit. You can also select a variety of (pleasant) in-tank lighting options. There's button in the tank - you can change your mind at any time for lights and audio.

I found it very floaty. Not as in "neutrally buoyant" but totally supported by the water and floating on top of it.

The water temperature is controlled, I would guess it's very slightly warmer than body temp.

I expected to be bored out of my ever-loving mind. I splished. I splashed. I played with the lights. I pretended to be a jellyfish and spun around in the tank a few times. I wished I'd worn a watch. I tried to remember pi radians. Then my brain switched off. And I do mean OFF. I experienced a profoundly altered state of consciousness. The kind of altered state where you understand quantum physics and string theory. The kind of state where you understand the.purpose of the universe and your own part in it. I snapped back into myself and was overwhelmed by a sense of profound and heart-wrenching gratitude for simply being alive. I sobbed uncontrollably for some minutes before settling into giggles, then silent happy floating.

There was a beep. The lights came on and my pod opened. I got out, had a shower, put my clothes on and joined my family in the lounge.

My MIL said that it felt nice on her knee. My SIL said it felt nice on her neck. Rico said he thought it was relaxing. I never quite found the words to say that I'd left my body, met god, and understood for a brief moment the purpose of the universe.

I'm not convinced it's got much value as a physical treatment. But it was one hell of a mind####.
Do you meditate? It sounds like you should meditate if you don't. If slipping into that mindset is something that's easier for you than others, meditation might help you get there more often. It'd be a hell of a life habit if you cultivated it.
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #19
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's almost enough to make me want to try a float!
Old 02-27-2020, 12:17 AM   #20
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my old foster kids tried it, kid was in his 20's had done some heinous stuff in his teens before straightening out, told me it was an hour of profound guilt and bad memories
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote