Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #281
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Mangiapane deserves a raise. But I’m glad it’s Treliving negotiating and not some of the posters here. Same ones who were going to pay JG $9M.
"Just get it done".

Thank goodness it doesn't work that way.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #282
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
"Just get it done".

Thank goodness it doesn't work that way.
"put them in a room together and lock the doors!"
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #283
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Mangiapane looks better than Gaudreau this year. Unlike Gaudreau he’ll fight for pucks along the boards, he’ll drive the net and go to the hard areas. Mangiapane plays the game the right way, he has guts and heart.

Lock the kid up! He’s quickly establishing himself as a guy we need to build with.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #284
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane's upside is probably Jason Zucker. 40 - 50 point guy, 20 - 25 goals. In a special season might break 30 goals and 60 points.

Plays a similar game. All that talk about acquiring Zucker and yet Flames probably have one anyways.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #285
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Mangiapane's upside is probably Jason Zucker. 40 - 50 point guy, 20 - 25 goals. In a special season might break 30 goals and 60 points.

Plays a similar game. All that talk about acquiring Zucker and yet Flames probably have one anyways.
I think the Flames would be very, very happy if he rounds into a 15-20 goal, 35-40 point player. I highly doubt he ever hits 50 or 60 points as I don't see him in a top six role long enough to attain those numbers. Too many fans overreact after a good game or two. Last week many wanted Rinaldo signed to a multiyear deal, this week pay Mangiapane millions of dollars long term.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #286
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Looks like I misread Mangiapanes age, I thought he'd be 25 at the time of the arbitration filing.That changes the calculus.
That changes the calculus...

Is this the new “it’s not Rocket appliances”?
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #287
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
That changes the calculus...

Is this the new “it’s not Rocket appliances”?
I'm working to confirm right now.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #288
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think the Flames would be very, very happy if he rounds into a 15-20 goal, 35-40 point player. I highly doubt he ever hits 50 or 60 points as I don't see him in a top six role long enough to attain those numbers. Too many fans overreact after a good game or two. Last week many wanted Rinaldo signed to a multiyear deal, this week pay Mangiapane millions of dollars long term.
He has had very strong 5 v 5 numbers for the last two seasons. He has played like a top-6 winger for quite some time. He wins puck battles, he scores at a great rate, he's quick and skilled enough to score beautiful goals.

I want the Flames to sign him long term.

Last edited by Nelson; 02-18-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #289
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm working to confirm right now.
Well it’s not exactly rocket surgery.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #290
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Well, Rinaldo is almost 30-years old and has played less than 20 games this year; Mangiapane is 23 and has played in 59. It has been more than a good game or two. He now has five goals and ten points in his last ten games. He has been a possession monster for months, and is now finally seeing production to match. I think there is a good bet that Mangiapane finishes the year with 35 points, and see no reason why he won't improve on that in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #291
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
He has had very strong 5 v 5 numbers for the last two seasons. He has played like a top-6 winger for quite some time. He wins puck battles, he scores at a great rate, he's quick and skilled enough to score beautiful goals.

I want the Flames to sign him long term.
I'm not sure long-term is the answer for a guy that has only really found his role on the team and a true offensive groove during the last 2-3 months. I'd gladly sign him in for the 2-3 year range though. I don't think that every decent player on your team should be signed to long term deals.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #292
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like what he's doing, but still not sold on him as a regular top 6. I think our biggest deficiency is an upgrade at his position.

I'd give him 2x2-3.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #293
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I'm not sure long-term is the answer for a guy that has only really found his role on the team and a true offensive groove during the last 2-3 months. I'd gladly sign him in for the 2-3 year range though.
I see it as a good opportunity for the team to get a great deal on a long-term player who continues to improve every single year. Mangfiapane is in a similar situation as Andersson, and like Andersson his contract would look like a bargain in the final two or three years of a long-term deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #294
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Two things about mangiapane that are undeniable are his speed/hustle and his shot.

Hard to go wrong with a player with those two attributes. Even as a top 6 tweener, if you can skate, hustle, and shoot, you have a place on my roster.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #295
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Directly related:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1229746138384883712

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #296
Camronius
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think some people need to pump the brakes a bit. I wouldn't call 12 goals and 25 points "breaking out" and Tkachuk has a habit of making 3rd line players look good. I like the player but it's a little early to start getting carried away as he's still work in progress and Mark Jankowski had a more impressive debut playing a more difficult position and look at him now.
“Some people, as in the only person who said it and the same person you quoted”. Not sure there is a need to dance around it, just say you disagree with me, it’s allowed.

We’ll see... also noted that I called myself a fan boy, so I hope the self recognition of my over enthusiastic reaction wasn’t lost on you. Anyways, I do feel there is something different about this kid based on his high level of success at every level.

I do think Bennet and to a point Janko are decent comparables of players who have started to break out, but haven’t really got there... yet. Personally I haven’t given up on either of them, but I do feel there is something different about mangi.
Camronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #297
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I'm not sure long-term is the answer for a guy that has only really found his role on the team and a true offensive groove during the last 2-3 months. I'd gladly sign him in for the 2-3 year range though. I don't think that every decent player on your team should be signed to long term deals.

He has only given the chance during the last 2-3 month.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #298
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mangiapane was great last year with Ryan too. This is not his first good regular season. At even strength, his numbers have been strong the last two years. I think the Flames have enough to sign him long term and get a value contract before it’s too late.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #299
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Two things about mangiapane that are undeniable are his speed/hustle and his shot.

Hard to go wrong with a player with those two attributes. Even as a top 6 tweener, if you can skate, hustle, and shoot, you have a place on my roster.
Something I always watch for is what a player does in tight with the puck. Do they just "put it back on net and hope for the best" or do they have that rare ability to see the game slower than other do, and the skill ("hands") required to pull the puck out of one spot and move it into a better spot (either a teammate with some open net, or actually just putting it inside the net themselves).

So far, Managiapane seems to be of the latter ilk.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #300
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Keep thinking he signed an extension every time this thread is bumped.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
FBI