Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #2021
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like BOTW. I was even a little sad when I finished it. My son was 5-7 while I was playing it and he loved watching, so I have associated the game with that phase of his life. He's only 8 now, but it feels like ages ago that we'd settle in and play in short bursts. He has a weird, photographic memory as well, so he'd remember places that I didn't even think that we'd visited, and months later he'd remind me. And that's totally just me reminiscing about a really enjoyable thing in both of our lives, but man was it nice.

The game itself was enjoyable. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, but I liked the open world because it let you roam and discover things, but there were enough tasks to keep you busy and motivated. Loads of shrines, unlocking the towers, the freedom to take on the divine beasts in any order you wanted. You didn't have to walk/ride from A to B, but you could if you wanted. And if you did, you'd usually discover a place you've never been before.

The only time I felt that the game was deliberately tedious and the developers were taking the piss was when gathering lumber to build Tarrey Town. Back and forth, explode/chop a bunch of trees, bring it back, then more is needed, etc. But that's just one small annoying side quest in an otherwise enjoyable experience.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #2022
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The thing I loved most about BOTW is that I don't think I ever played a game that respected the player, and their choices and freedom, more. Like in any of the shrines -- sure there's a way they're designed to be solved, but if you can think of a different solution with your tools and abilities, it will work. Same with traversing the world and interacting with it -- generally if you can think of something you want to try, it'll work.

I love how right after the tutorial you get your first mission... "Defeat Ganon" -- and it just leaves it up to you from there. Brilliant design. So many open world games are just masked linear games with tons of filler packed in (think Assassin's Creed recent releases), but BOTW makes the open world integral to everything.
it is a sandbox of the most pure nature. before you get the zora suit i was climbing waterfalls with the ice power, how cool is that?

the best part of that game is the exploration. the ability to see something cool in the distance and be able to get there in a hundred different ways is just so satisfying in and of itself that it didn't need a really engrossing story or dungeons or anything else, really. i played the entire game with the map/ui off and just going where my eyes and desire lead me, and no game has ever come close to the feeling of freedom that botw gave me
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #2023
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, playing without the UI was the way to go.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #2024
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
The game itself was enjoyable. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, but I liked the open world because it let you roam and discover things, but there were enough tasks to keep you busy and motivated. Loads of shrines, unlocking the towers, the freedom to take on the divine beasts in any order you wanted. You didn't have to walk/ride from A to B, but you could if you wanted. And if you did, you'd usually discover a place you've never been before.
Really? See, this is the part of the game throwing me off a bit. I've played Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Seem to recall you couldn't advance into the more difficult areas without "completing" the lesser areas. Like you'd need an artifact or some ability to be able to do "what was next".

I'm now at the point where that Elder in Kakariko Village marks the places on your map to meet the elders of the area I think? First one I wandered off to I did so as it was closest to the starting area (Great Plains near where you start the game) and therefor assumed it would be the easiest. Start crossing a bridge and in the middle is a grassy area with a massive sleeping giant in the middle. Took quite a bit of effort to beat him and as I finished crossing the bridge into a dry/dusty area, I keep getting my ass handed to me by random baddies wondering around that can kill me with one hit.

So I stated to wonder if I was in too high an area for where I'm at in the game. I decided to cheat here and see what I should be doing. Web advised the Divine Beast near Karkariko village as no elemental armour was needed?

I think I've found every possible way to play this game wrong.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #2025
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Really? See, this is the part of the game throwing me off a bit. I've played Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Seem to recall you couldn't advance into the more difficult areas without "completing" the lesser areas. Like you'd need an artifact or some ability to be able to do "what was next".

I'm now at the point where that Elder in Kakariko Village marks the places on your map to meet the elders of the area I think? First one I wandered off to I did so as it was closest to the starting area (Great Plains near where you start the game) and therefor assumed it would be the easiest. Start crossing a bridge and in the middle is a grassy area with a massive sleeping giant in the middle. Took quite a bit of effort to beat him and as I finished crossing the bridge into a dry/dusty area, I keep getting my ass handed to me by random baddies wondering around that can kill me with one hit.

So I stated to wonder if I was in too high an area for where I'm at in the game. I decided to cheat here and see what I should be doing. Web advised the Divine Beast near Karkariko village as no elemental armour was needed?

I think I've found every possible way to play this game wrong.
there's no order to anything - you can go kill ganon right after starting the game without beating the turorial area if you have the skills. you can always just run away if enemies are too tough, its not often that you're forced to fight a hinox/talus

i saw a poll some years ago and most people start with zora's domain as their first(mostly because the one zora yells at you and it grabs your attention), so maybe give that a try. it's where i started anyways
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #2026
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have an eShop gift card from Christmas. Any recommendations? I'm looking at Slay the Spire.

For reference, my most played games (in order) are Splatoon, BoTW, Stardew, Enter the Gungeon, and Mario.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #2027
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Into the Breach.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #2028
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I have an eShop gift card from Christmas. Any recommendations? I'm looking at Slay the Spire.

For reference, my most played games (in order) are Splatoon, BoTW, Stardew, Enter the Gungeon, and Mario.
I believe Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night no longer has significant performance issues on Switch, so I'd recommend that (I got the PC version because it had issues on release on Switch)

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-04-2020 at 05:45 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #2029
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post

Slay the Spire I hear good things. Dead Cells was a 2018 favorite for many.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #2030
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am looking for another immersive world kind of game. Any thoughts on Skyrim / Witcher 3 / Saints Row 3? There seemed to be to issues with Saints Row, but can't find if they have been resolved in the 8 months since I could find a review discussing it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #2031
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am looking for another immersive world kind of game. Any thoughts on Skyrim / Witcher 3 / Saints Row 3? There seemed to be to issues with Saints Row, but can't find if they have been resolved in the 8 months since I could find a review discussing it.
I tried Witcher 3 and it looks like crap IMO, but I was spoiled by the PC version.

I really like Skyrim on Switch. It wasn’t strong in the graphics department to begin with so it wasn’t as hard to get it to look decent on weaker hardware. The motion controls make being an archer a blast.

Haven’t tried SR3 except on PC. It’s fun but I’d confirm it’s fixed before buying.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #2032
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Into the Breach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I believe Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night no longer has significant performance issues on Switch, so I'd recommend that (I got the PC version because it had issues on release on Switch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Slay the Spire I hear good things. Dead Cells was a 2018 favorite for many.
I will definitely check out Dead Cells and Into the Breach. Bloodstained doesn't look like my thing (at least the trailer doesn't). Thanks for the tips.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #2033
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is all the way up my alley -- a murder mystery / visual novel / picross puzzle game with zany characters and good music from the Ace Attorney composer. Comes March 6th to the eShop!

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #2034
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mentioning Dead Cells again, new DLC Bad Seed is out today for $6. Seems to add 2 new maps, a new boss, enemies and some weapons. Tied into the first 3rd of the game which is attractive because I've still yet to get a winning run.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 04:09 PM   #2035
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

There’s a update coming to Witcher 3 that might address the graphics issue I have. That’s good news and there’s going to be save sync with PC so I can continue my game when on the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #2036
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody else have the problem on the joy-cons where the left control stick keeps moving up/forward? I initially blamed my kids for eating and getting the controls dirty, but I gave it a cleaning and it still does it. It has caused me to walk over the edge of cliffs too many times now!
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #2037
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Drift. It's a known problem. You can try calling customer support - I think they are still accepting them for free repair.

Alternatively, a lot of people have had success with the contact cleaner fix here: https://www.gamesradar.com/joy-con-drift-fix/
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #2038
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody else have the problem on the joy-cons where the left control stick keeps moving up/forward? I initially blamed my kids for eating and getting the controls dirty, but I gave it a cleaning and it still does it. It has caused me to walk over the edge of cliffs too many times now!
This guy has an extremely good series on fixing consoles. Not sure how I came across them in the first place but really enjoy his vids on buying broken consoles for sale on ebay and seeing what's wrong with them.

Anyways...this is his vid on joycon drift:

GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #2039
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Collection of Mana for the switch is a good pick, its 3 games in one. Trials of Mana is one of the games (known as Seiken Dentsetsu 3 in Japan) which has been emulated and translated to English.

The story in Trials of Mana is a bit contrived and tacky, but the combat system is brilliant. Real time battles (not turn based or cut scene-y like final fantasy) give it a fast pace, 6 characters to choose from (warrior, grappler, thief, amazon, healer and magician) and best of all, its 2 player cooperative!

There is no manual and very little guidance in the game (no map or quest log) so the learning curve is somewhat high but a great game for it's time.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #2040
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Has anyone else had connection issues on their Switch? I keep getting this error while accessing the eshop: https://en-americas-support.nintendo...e%3A-2123-0301

A full shutdown will fix it temporarily but it keeps happening.

I got a LAN adapter figuring it might be poor wifi but that didn't help. Neither did switching DNS settings as recommended.