Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #1361
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a good burger seasoning for BBQing?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #1362
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Ya, see that's my problem. Costco as well as all those options are a ways from the west side. I basically have to go into the SE or NW to get to a butcher. I might give my Coop or Sobeys a ring, see if they can just bring in a packer.

Seems silly, but adding that 45 minutes worth of travel time just discourages me from doing brisket more often.
Coop often has briskets. I frequently see them at Crowfoot but the price is a lot less attractive than Costco.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #1363
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I like Kosmos Cow Cover in mine.

https://barbecuesgalore.ca/products/kosmos-q-rub

SPG is supposed to be good but I don't see the point in buying it in a blend.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 06-21-2020 at 03:48 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #1364
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Salt and pepper.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #1365
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on storm, hold off another hour... Got rotisserie jerk chicken on the go..
Old 06-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #1366
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I got hit on the forehead with a rain drop as I hit submit. Please no hail.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #1367
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
What's everyone planning for Father's Day BBQ?

We're doing some beef back ribs, a 35 oz bone in ribeye, and a couple of 1.5" centre cut pork chops. Probably going to sous vide the ribeye and pork chops then finish them on the grill. Really hoping the rain holds off on Sunday.
Chermoula chicken skewers. Chicken thighs with onion and lemon on the skewers, in a parsley / cilantro / paprika / cumin sauce (obviously a few other ingredients but those are the main ones). Served with a chipotle honey dipping sauce and a yogurt mint sauce. Still marinading, but just for reference, they end up looking like this:

Pretty much my go-to when I'm going to a BBQ with multiple people; everyone tends to focus on burgers or steak and ribs in that setting so it's nice to offer something a bit different.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 05:10 PM   #1368
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boo to this rain that parked over my house.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #1369
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know not traditional but smoked a cheddar bacon and broccoli quiche for breakfast today. wow!
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #1370
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
I know not traditional but smoked a cheddar bacon and broccoli quiche for breakfast today. wow!
Care to share the recipe on the smoker?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #1371
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently acquired a Weber kettle and have been giving the low and slow a go. It took a bit of time to figure out how many coals to add and when to maintain a constant temperature but I think I've got the hang of it now. I was pretty impressed with myself I was able to go out for almost an hour and when I returned it was still at the temperature I wanted.

I first tried some smoked Italian sausages and they turned out great. If you've got 3 hours to cook sausages this is the way to go. I then tried a pork shoulder with mixed results. I think I need to buy one with the bone still in tact because this one started to fall apart and it ended up with some parts being dried out while other parts were not cooked enough.

Anyways, I'm going to read through this thread to get some more ideas. Think I'll give ribs a try next.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #1372
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
If you've got 3 hours to cook sausages this is the way to go.
I foresee the following news headline in our future: "Zoomers are killing the BBQ industry".

I gotta get myself a good charcoal grill, I really want to try it out. My propane & smoker box method isn't very effective for sausages.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #1373
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I recently acquired a Weber kettle and have been giving the low and slow a go. It took a bit of time to figure out how many coals to add and when to maintain a constant temperature but I think I've got the hang of it now. I was pretty impressed with myself I was able to go out for almost an hour and when I returned it was still at the temperature I wanted.

I first tried some smoked Italian sausages and they turned out great. If you've got 3 hours to cook sausages this is the way to go. I then tried a pork shoulder with mixed results. I think I need to buy one with the bone still in tact because this one started to fall apart and it ended up with some parts being dried out while other parts were not cooked enough.

Anyways, I'm going to read through this thread to get some more ideas. Think I'll give ribs a try next.
Nice! I started with a Weber kettle, it's a good gateway drug Once you get the hang of it you can do some decent barbecue on it. Bone in shoulder is the way to go, you get the whole primal so it hangs together better. Plus the test for doneness is if the bone slides out easily. Shoulder is pretty forgiving, definitely give it another try.

The thing about sausages and such, I often throw them on when I am smoking something bigger like a brisket or a shoulder. If there is room on the smoker, throw on some sausage, a kielbasa, some hard boiled eggs, a pot of sauce, a tray of salt, a turkey breast. My philosophy is once the fire is going, might as well use the smoke and heat. Especially later in the cook, big cuts seem pretty forgiving to popping the lid to throw on a few sausages or whatever. Or do it while you have the brisket or ribs off for a wrap.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #1374
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of Weber Kettles,a few years ago I... ahem... acquired an 18 1/2 Webber Kettle. (Okay it was a trash pick from a neighbour) I always thought it would be great to refurbish. Looking at the Weber site I identified it as a 1998 model.

Well last week I finally did it.
Total cost. $0.00 just elbow grease

Here are some before and after.
Before:

After:

The wood handles:

Outside:

Inside:

At the time of this picture I had not cleaned the grill the charcoal rests on .

Yesterday i put it to work with my new charcoal chimney that was a fathers day gift to grill some burgers. It was great to enjoy the charcoal flavour once again.

I plan to make a table for it and have it inserted so I can have a total grill ensemble along with my Propane BBQ and smoker.

BTW the fur face you see is Milo our Brittany Spaniel

Last edited by Timbo; 06-22-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #1375
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey all.. I have a Bradley 6 rack digital smoker now, and am looking to switch to a pellet smoker this year.

I absolutely love smoking my own meats, and the fam-jam love it too.

I keep getting frustrated with my Bradley in the winter time since it won't work in anything colder than -5/-10. I've had many frustrating days of waking up at 5am to start the smoker only to get the dreaded E1 error code.

So, with all y'all's experience in Calgary weather and pellet smokers, do I go the Traeger route, or something like a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker? And if so, what kind of thermal blankets do we get? What works, what doesn't?

Thanks!
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #1376
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Looking to get a new BBQ, my old one is in rough shape.

I think I need just a good basic BBQ. My current one is 4 burner I think (or at least has 4 control knobs) and that seems to be good enough, bigger would be nice when I have family over but don't want to spend a huge amount either.

Does it matter what brand when in the $1000-$1500 range? Broil King, Napoleon, Weber seem to be common.

Don't really care about rotisserie but see some with IR searing side burners, is that something that works or is that just a gimmick?

Any recommendations welcome.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #1377
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Napoleon Prestige Pro line starts around $2,000 and is awesome. The Prestige series starts at $1300 and is just a slight step down from the Pro models. I have the Prestige Pro 665 and it is fantastic. The infrared side burner sears steaks nicely but it gets so hot I've melted plastic tongs inadvertently. Gotta remember to use the metal tongs!

This would be a good one that fits your price range:

https://www.napoleon.com/en/ca/barbe...b-p500rsibnk-3
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #1378
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Looking to get a new BBQ, my old one is in rough shape.

I think I need just a good basic BBQ. My current one is 4 burner I think (or at least has 4 control knobs) and that seems to be good enough, bigger would be nice when I have family over but don't want to spend a huge amount either.

Does it matter what brand when in the $1000-$1500 range? Broil King, Napoleon, Weber seem to be common.

Don't really care about rotisserie but see some with IR searing side burners, is that something that works or is that just a gimmick?

Any recommendations welcome.
My kid works at a barbecue shop, and his advice is Broil King gets the hottest, and Napoleon has an edge on Weber in winter in Canada. But he says they are all quality picks.

I just bought a Prestige Pro (the 500 model) as well and got the floor model since stocks are running low around town. I think this is the summer of new grills in Calgary.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #1379
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Broil King is the best bang for the buck. They're not generally as pretty as Webers or Napoleons and don't have the brand prestige. But if money is an object you'll just get a better product for your dollar there.

As far as peripherals (IR burners etc), just don't base your purchasing decision on them unless they're a feature your current grill has and you can't live without. Odds are you won't use them much.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #1380
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Coop often has briskets. I frequently see them at Crowfoot but the price is a lot less attractive than Costco.
Just finished trimming and salting a brisket to go on tonight. Went to coop and got it there $18/kg (woof), worst part through? Its just the flat! They already trimmed the point and its deliciousness away. It was still a packer cryovac, so not done in house I don't believe. Tempted to give them a piece of my mind since its sold as a whole brisket and certainly looks like on in the cryovac....

It'll still be tasty, but dangit
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber