Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #3281
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I've noticed a lot of places will relist at a much lower price and sell the same day. I think in some cases the only offer they got was way below list so to save stats they relist just to sell closer to the listing price. Happened for sure on the listings I bought this year.
This kind of thing is why (apologies to our resident Realtor) I look forward to having the data open to the public.

That way the RE Boards cannot obfuscate the stats to show a "healthy" market... the data will be there for all to see - Days on Market, initial asking price, all price reductions, etc.

And, we can get it without being pressured to sign some BRA.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #3282
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Some huge disruption coming to the industry and it is about adapting vs fighting it. I personally believe that the MLS database created by Realtors should be the property of the Real Estate Boards. Sales information is available to the general public at a cost of $10 per title (through land titles and not something Realtors have special access to).

I would like to know what everyone pays for a car on a dealership yet this is property of the dealerships and not made public.

Although a less than popular idea, it would be nice to see a real estate license cost $20,000 + per year. I think this would help the general public see a Realtor as more of a professional and eliminate those who treat their business as a side hobby. It should also be mandatory to put in some time as an apprentice under someone with experience.

Titles just show you the value of the transferred land but not dom or history. They also offer nothing in the way of current value either whereas listing information does. And the value on title is only one of dozens of instruments you're gaining access to by paying $10. It's likely people searching for titles are not even interested in the last time it transferred ownership.

Car dealerships offer you the carfax now and use it themselves since they know everyone has access to it. Its made the industry more honest for sure. That stuff is no mystery anymore. More information in the general public's hands is a good thing.

I guess it never made sense that listing info should be proprietary to realtors. They're regulated a million different ways so that there are no secrets in the industry. Makes sense to me that information gleaned from working with the public should become public information. I don't see any way it would cost realtors on their own bottom line either.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #3283
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any correlation (or any degree of accuracy perhaps I should say) to City of YYC Property Assessment value and selling prices these days for houses/condos?
Old 10-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #3284
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

They rejigged realtor.ca. It works better now. But I haven't really poked around much. Except my neighbor's place. He died and left it to his dumb kids. Add a dumb realtor, a bored estate lawyer and you're looking at a pretty sweet deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #3285
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
They rejigged realtor.ca. It works better now. But I haven't really poked around much. Except my neighbor's place. He died and left it to his dumb kids. Add a dumb realtor, a bored estate lawyer and you're looking at a pretty sweet deal.
Not a fan of the new map function. It opens a separate window in google maps, which takes more time than the previous location tab.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #3286
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zoocasa turned out to be an okay site to browse listing. It’s hard to find condo listings that have decent square footage otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #3287
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:

What do you think the estate lawyer's role in this scenario is?
Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #3288
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
What do you think the estate lawyer's role in this scenario is?

Sorry. I was just being a jerk. I would assume an estate lawyer leaves everything possible up to the family and simply makes sure it's all done fairly and without any legal issues. I would guess it's a subtle role until something goes wrong and you really count on an estate lawyer to get things right.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #3289
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

A condo I owned in 2007 is back on the market for 100k less then what I sold it for. So I was interested because I liked it and it must be a good deal. But this MacLean's article is pretty scary...

https://www.macleans.ca/economy/real...ection-begins/

Quote:
Canadians took their cue and gorged on debt. We now owe $2.16 trillion in mortgage, credit card and other consumer debt—an 80 per cent jump from 2008, and an amount that now exceeds the value of the entire Canadian economy. Even Americans didn’t go that overboard during their housing bubble.

The BOC didn't raise rates today which is scary if you're dollar heavy. But I'm not sure how long they can put off rate hikes this year. Just seems like a perfect storm. So another year or two on the sidelines for me.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:04 AM   #3290
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought there was a thread about a year ago about Vancouver real estate but couldn't find it. So I'll put this story here:

'$1,000 bucks for all this?': Students live like kings in Vancouver’s empty mansions

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/college-...ions-1.1244950

Quote:
Isaiah Boodhoo, 22, thought it was a “complete hoax” when he saw a rental listing on Facebook for a bedroom in a Vancouver mansion for only $1,100 a month.

It turned out the glass chandeliers, luxurious blue drapes, steam room and billiards table were for real. The nine-bedroom home, dubbed “The Castle” by the 14 students who share the property, is apparently owned by an Afghani pop artist, according to Boodhoo.

“Honestly, I would stay here for as long as I could,” he said, sitting on a white couch while sipping from a Slurpee cup. “$1,000 bucks for all this?”

Others may also soon find themselves as lucky as more mansion owners in the city turn to renting to avoid a new tax on empty homes. In the new world of Vancouver’s housing market, where Chinese investors are decamping and low-ball offers are the norm, students can find themselves living in the lap of luxury.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #3291
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
sitting on a white couch while sipping from a Slurpee cup
And that's why most mansion owners don't rent them to a group of students....
Old 12-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #3292
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Tags
housing , real estate