Old 01-13-2021, 10:00 PM   #122
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
2018/19 Hamonic =/= 2021 Hamonic

You are saying 2019/20 was the real indication for the trend for Hamonic

How do you feel about the Flames going to war with the not 2018/19 Gio Gaudreau Monahan Tkachuk Lindholm...

They all fell off the same cliff as Hamonic.

Hamonic is done but they just had a aberrant bad year??
I sure as hell hope none of the Flames dmen look like Hamoic tomorrow night...he has been walked 4 times after two periods
Old 01-13-2021, 10:13 PM   #123
Homeslice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Don't sweet it man. Take Text with a grain assault, irregardless of that one post, he's usually one of the goodest guys on this forum. It's all a mute point now anyways.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #124
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I sure as hell hope none of the Flames dmen look like Hamoic tomorrow night...he has been walked 4 times after two periods
But he has an assist tonight!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #125
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:23 PM   #126
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
2018/19 Hamonic =/= 2021 Hamonic

You are saying 2019/20 was the real indication for the trend for Hamonic

How do you feel about the Flames going to war with the not 2018/19 Gio Gaudreau Monahan Tkachuk Lindholm...

They all fell off the same cliff as Hamonic.

Hamonic is done but they just had a aberrant bad year??
The key is looking at what season is the outlier. At this point in Hamonic’s career it looks like 18/19 is the outlier.

He was not good in 16/17 in his last year in New York, he wasn’t good his first season in Calgary in 17/18, he had a good season in 18/19, and then was bad again in 19/20.

So it’s possible that he has a bounce back season but as of right now the trend is 3 of the last 4 seasons have been subpar.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-13-2021 at 10:30 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:33 PM   #127
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hamonic was good in 18/19? The season he made Brodie look like Bartkowski?

I remember bringing up his poor play during games, but was shut down cause the team was winning. Hamonic was brutal here all the time. He was a Commodore, Bartkowski level bad. No idea where the hype came from. Poor at D, no offense and skates like crap.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:35 PM   #128
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, Hamonic was 3rd Pair material his whole tenure here. Started really good 3rd pair and ended replacement level.

Good guy though and a warrior.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:39 PM   #129
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Hamonic was good in 18/19? The season he made Brodie look like Bartkowski?

I remember bringing up his poor play during games, but was shut down cause the team was winning. Hamonic was brutal here all the time. He was a Commodore, Bartkowski level bad. No idea where the hype came from. Poor at D, no offense and skates like crap.
No that was 17/18. In 18/19 Flames won the west and he played almost exclusively with Hanifin
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Red
Old 01-13-2021, 11:16 PM   #130
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Don't sweet it man. Take Text with a grain assault, irregardless of that one post, he's usually one of the goodest guys on this forum. It's all a mute point now anyways.
Kill me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:21 AM   #131
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Kill me.
If you were thinking clearly right now, you'd be asking us to kill Cecil Terwilliger.

Or at least hook him up with a crotchety English teacher named Karen.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:22 AM   #132
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Or at least hook him up with a crotchety English teacher named Karen.

So... Textcritic?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 12:23 AM   #133
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
So... Textcritic?
I'm sure there's more than one.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:39 AM   #134
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
You should be ashamed for posting that.
Not even a little bit. Posters are blatantly contorting themselves to emotionally rationalize this person's decision. I think emotional reasoning is a terrible attribute to have and does a disservice to society at large. And so, I'll continue to stick with the facts and basic logic.

Lets revisit...

Many posters have contended the player made the decision "for the safety of his kids". That's not a logical position for a poster to take given that covid poses a negligible risk to children. If you then suggest that a negligible chance of dying from COVID is still more than 0% chance and even a 0.0001% chance of dying is too high...well that's really only a defensible position if you and he advocate protecting children against other extremely low risk activities like flying on an airplane, riding in a car, or going to amusement parks. Which clearly no one does, because that would be a very stupid way to live your life. We all accept some risks in life. And to the posters saying, "yeah, well covid might not kill you, but it still can you leave you with long-term adverse effects." That's true, but there's lots of war amps from vehicle accidents. So it's really a weak argument, because it goes back to negligible risks.

Next, posters say - "well he didn't know the facts, but he made the decision with his kid's best interest in mind, which is just as laudable." This again makes no sense given the facts. The facts are that there were 24 teams each with 20 skaters and to my knowledge no other healthy skaters made that decision. Every player would been given the opportunity to consult with medical professionals, their agent, their teammates, their team and their union, each of which would have spoon-fed the players the facts and risks about COVID. It also makes no sense given the playoffs started a good two months after Alberta had moved into Phase 2 and we had plenty of data. In fact, I cited the data on the day he made his decision. If we didn't know the facts, would Alberta have been reopened? It wouldn't have. Would 99% of other NHL players made the rational decision to play hockey if we didn't have sufficient facts? They would not have.

So what are we really left with? How do you possibly defend his decision within the bounds of rationality? You can't. You just can't. But if you have to hold in your heart that Hamonic is a great guy, who made a truly respectable decision by sitting out the playoff bubble, then you do you.

Last edited by GullFoss; 01-14-2021 at 12:42 AM.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:59 AM   #135
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
[SENSELESS, BORING AGENDA-DRIVEN RABBLE]
No one has to defend Hamonic. Why is that, you might wonder? Because he made a decision once, and then changed his mind later and made a different decision another time. As people are want to do
Every.
God.
Damned.
Day.

His decision made in July and then his change-of-heart more recently were completely innocuous, affected exactly no one outside of the people closest to him, and require no validation nor any further explanation. Hamonic sure as hell does not have to answer to you for it.

It is patently idiotic and petty that this has bothered you so much. Seriously, let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-14-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 01:49 AM   #136
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Just remember this isn't Luke Schenn, its Travis Hamonic.

Enjoy.
Well yes, but at this point they are likely equivalent players if not Hamonic being a better player.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:31 AM   #137
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never understood why anyone expects any athlete to make any decisions except for themselves completely, they work for teams that don't give an ever loving damn about them in sports that would happily have them brain damaged it it wasnt for the fact that they got found out.

Hockey, Football, Soccer are all the same, players are only as good as their current stats and even then that doesnt matter if they can be moved to make a trade happen or tank for a pick.

Any and all teams will move them no matter that they have a family, a life, kids in school etc, the day I hear a coach say they arent going to trade some journeyman 3rd line forward with no NMC on their contract because he's been with the team for several years and is a good employee who's daughter is just starting school so it wouldnt be fair to use them to dump salary, then I will expect players to have loyalty
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #138
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I've never understood why anyone expects any athlete to make any decisions except for themselves completely, they work for teams that don't give an ever loving damn about them in sports that would happily have them brain damaged it it wasnt for the fact that they got found out.

Hockey, Football, Soccer are all the same, players are only as good as their current stats and even then that doesnt matter if they can be moved to make a trade happen or tank for a pick.

Any and all teams will move them no matter that they have a family, a life, kids in school etc, the day I hear a coach say they arent going to trade some journeyman 3rd line forward with no NMC on their contract because he's been with the team for several years and is a good employee who's daughter is just starting school so it wouldnt be fair to use them to dump salary, then I will expect players to have loyalty
I agree with 99% of this, except for the "never understanding bit". Not to sound like a smart ass, but its to me obvious, people don't think rationally when it comes to their loyalty to the sports team brand (i.e. a certain arena debate). They expect the same loyalty out of the players that they have "shown" to them on the team (with the fan usually looking back with rosy glasses forgetting all the times they may have cursed or booed a player).

The sport teams themselves are complicit in this as well, everything about attending a game is to bring you into their tribe and "religion" of the team. Its good marketing.

This doesn't mean its right, its 100% wrong. To the player, it may just be a job, and that is 100% ok.

/obvious post
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 07:58 AM   #139
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post

But isn't that also part of the argument that Hamonic was being selfish?

He chose not to play when he would still be paid, and chose to play when he had to in order to be paid.

He was selfish. He let his teammates, ownership, and the fans down.

However - He is entirely within his rights as an employee and human to be selfish.

I have no issue with him opting out- It was within his player negotiated right, but I look at is as a guy who conveniently decided not to play for a team that wasn't resigning him and he didn't care about anymore while still getting paid.

And to me that's selfish and I will not respect his decision

Respect =/= Not Allowed to do it
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #140
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
He chose not to play when he would still be paid
Players weren't paid for the bubble. It was play-offs.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post: