Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #321
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

LG is coming out with an 83' version of it's OLED TVs this year

https://www.cnet.com/news/lg-evo-at-...nt-come-cheap/

I think that will eventually be my endgame TV whenever the budget allows for such a ridiculous expense
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #322
Esoteric
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Esoteric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harju View Post
We just bought a 75" Q80T and the picture is underwhelming with regular HD programs not being very sharp. I watched a little bit of the NBA this morning and sitting ~11ft away you could not make out detail on the players faces. Just sort of a blurry.
I'm assuming that I just got a bum TV. I'll see what it is like watching football this weekend.
We purchased this TV back in November, and have nothing but good things to say about it so far. We also sit about 11 feet back from this set as well.

Are you with Shaw? An issue with watching broadcasts with Shaw is that all of their feeds are 1080p - they don't have any 4K content.

Please try watching a 4K feed and see how the TV performs. We've been watching a lot of The Grand Tour on Prime, and it looks amazing.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #323
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
We purchased this TV back in November, and have nothing but good things to say about it so far. We also sit about 11 feet back from this set as well.

Are you with Shaw? An issue with watching broadcasts with Shaw is that all of their feeds are 1080p - they don't have any 4K content.

Please try watching a 4K feed and see how the TV performs. We've been watching a lot of The Grand Tour on Prime, and it looks amazing.
Yeah, I'm kind of interested in this comparison because I'm currently trying to decide between the 65" CX or the 75" Q80T. I know that OLEDs produce better pictures, but there are a couple of reasons I think the Q80 might be better for me:

1) I live in a bachelor apartment and so I don't have a dedicated TV room. It's a decent-sized bachelor apartment and I currently have my TV against the wall/balcony doors that light comes in from. So while glare isn't a massive issue, the room does get fairly bright unless I close the blinds, something that I don't mind doing at night, but I'd rather keep them open during the day if I'm gaming or watching daytime sports.

2) Worried about screen burn. I use my TV as a PC monitor and I like strategy games. I'll play games such as Civ for hours on end and I'm worried that the OLED is going to burn-in if I do. I also sometimes pass out if I'm drinking and listening to tunes through my computer and could see the desktop or Spotify images burning in.

3) 75" would be way better for my FOV with the way I have things set up at the moment.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #324
sketchyt
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

FYI, if anyone is looking to buy the Sony X900 there were rumours they cancelled the proposed software update to enable VRR.

Since then, they've denied the rumours: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1610531618

However, it doesn't sound like X900 owners (me) will get the update any time soon.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #325
Harju
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
We purchased this TV back in November, and have nothing but good things to say about it so far. We also sit about 11 feet back from this set as well.

Are you with Shaw? An issue with watching broadcasts with Shaw is that all of their feeds are 1080p - they don't have any 4K content.

Please try watching a 4K feed and see how the TV performs. We've been watching a lot of The Grand Tour on Prime, and it looks amazing.
My first step was to check all connections for wifi and tv and reboot everything possible. This improved performance. 4K shows on Netflix and 4K Youtube look great. My problem is really just with sports. The 4K NFL broadcasts were okay but not great.

I've done my own settings based on recommendations and it has improved.
I am using the gateway and 4K wireless TV player so I going to try a wired connection for the TV to see if that helps.

That said, after fiddling with settings and connections the performance is much better since my original post.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harju For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #326
Flamenspiel
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

I had a projector for a long time so I am new to the latest TV market. The higher resolutions on the newer UHD format provided by streaming services are great but I get only 1080p from SHAW, it’s not in the same league. Is SHAW Blue Curve or Telus better then the standard SHAW output?
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:54 AM   #327
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of interested in this comparison because I'm currently trying to decide between the 65" CX or the 75" Q80T. I know that OLEDs produce better pictures, but there are a couple of reasons I think the Q80 might be better for me:

1) I live in a bachelor apartment and so I don't have a dedicated TV room. It's a decent-sized bachelor apartment and I currently have my TV against the wall/balcony doors that light comes in from. So while glare isn't a massive issue, the room does get fairly bright unless I close the blinds, something that I don't mind doing at night, but I'd rather keep them open during the day if I'm gaming or watching daytime sports.

2) Worried about screen burn. I use my TV as a PC monitor and I like strategy games. I'll play games such as Civ for hours on end and I'm worried that the OLED is going to burn-in if I do. I also sometimes pass out if I'm drinking and listening to tunes through my computer and could see the desktop or Spotify images burning in.

3) 75" would be way better for my FOV with the way I have things set up at the moment.
Not saying you shouldn't worry about screen burn but I have had an OLED for years now and it's also my gaming TV. As you know many games have static images for items such as HUD's and I've never encountered an issue with any screen burn so that's not something I would overly worry about. Passing out and leaving a static image on your screen for hours is something different but you could always adjust your screen saver settings accordingly as when using the LG web TV the screen saver will come on after inactivity.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #328
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Yeah, most of what I've heard says OLED is most liable to burn it...but now a days you'd have to almost intentionally attempt to get burn in, to get burn in.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #329
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not saying you shouldn't worry about screen burn but I have had an OLED for years now and it's also my gaming TV. As you know many games have static images for items such as HUD's and I've never encountered an issue with any screen burn so that's not something I would overly worry about. Passing out and leaving a static image on your screen for hours is something different but you could always adjust your screen saver settings accordingly as when using the LG web TV the screen saver will come on after inactivity.
Yeah, the other issue is my couch is about 8.5 ft away from my TV right now and my room setup would start to get a little cramped looking if I moved it a foot or two forward to get into the 65" sweet spot range. I can't mount my TV where it's currently located, so I have a coffee table, TV stand, reclining loveseat, with rear speakers and my sub against the wall behind the loveseat. So if I'm going to upgrade to 4k at that distance, 75" seems to make more sense.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:03 PM   #330
Since1984
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

the LG OLED has a couple things to do that is recommended if you are worried about burn in:

1. Use the Screen saver feature.

2. Turn Screen Shift on, this will slightly move the screen at regular intervals to prevent image retention (the screen shift is not noticeable).

3.Clear panel noise, I do this about once every 2 to 3 months.

4. Set Logo Luminance Adjustment to Low.

Doing all these things should help you avoid screen burn-in
Since1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #331
chemgear
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
LG is coming out with an 83' version of it's OLED TVs this year

https://www.cnet.com/news/lg-evo-at-...nt-come-cheap/

I think that will eventually be my endgame TV whenever the budget allows for such a ridiculous expense
Just sit closer?
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #332
Esoteric
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Esoteric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of interested in this comparison because I'm currently trying to decide between the 65" CX or the 75" Q80T. I know that OLEDs produce better pictures, but there are a couple of reasons I think the Q80 might be better for me:

1) I live in a bachelor apartment and so I don't have a dedicated TV room. It's a decent-sized bachelor apartment and I currently have my TV against the wall/balcony doors that light comes in from. So while glare isn't a massive issue, the room does get fairly bright unless I close the blinds, something that I don't mind doing at night, but I'd rather keep them open during the day if I'm gaming or watching daytime sports.

2) Worried about screen burn. I use my TV as a PC monitor and I like strategy games. I'll play games such as Civ for hours on end and I'm worried that the OLED is going to burn-in if I do. I also sometimes pass out if I'm drinking and listening to tunes through my computer and could see the desktop or Spotify images burning in.

3) 75" would be way better for my FOV with the way I have things set up at the moment.
Same boat as you when I upgraded (when it came to those two TVs).

For me, and sitting 11 feet back, a 75 inch was a huge upgrade from my 1080p 65 inch TV. The TV now feels like it's the appropriate size for the room.

I do a lot of gaming on my TV, and went Q80T over OLED, because I don't want to have to worry about it all. There's times where we leave Netflix/Youtube open on the TV (forget to turn it off), and I didn't want to have any stress about using the TV set, no matter how unlikely.

We are also in a bright unit (during the day) and the set doesn't suffer in direct light.

I think it would have been a harder decision if I was deciding between two 75" sets, but the additional size is definitely worth the upgrade for me. I've heard great things about the Q90T, and was wondering if I should have upgraded to that set (before the TV was delivered), but I'm very happy with this TV.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 05:39 AM   #333
OldDutch
First Line Centre
 
OldDutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North of the River, South of the Bluff
Exp:
Default

I have the LG OLED and leaving something static won’t cause burn in, because the screen saver kicks in very quickly. Like 1 minute quick.

It knows when the set is static vs the pause button so works for everything
OldDutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #334
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

I think the distance/size thing is a bigger issue for me than the burn-in factor at this point. That said, I was looking at my space last night, and think I could probably bring my loveseat forward by 1 - 1.5', which would put me at about 6.5 - 7.5' away from the screen.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #335
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player
 
GoinAllTheWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not sure
Exp:
Default

What are you all using to clean your TV screens? Always think I've got mine spotless and then the sun shines on it and I'm amazed at the dust I miss. Microfiber does OK but seems to just push it around for the most part.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #336
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
What are you all using to clean your TV screens? Always think I've got mine spotless and then the sun shines on it and I'm amazed at the dust I miss. Microfiber does OK but seems to just push it around for the most part.
Unless you are getting fingerprints or animal nose prints on it, a static duster should work fine.
__________________
If the Flames are playing, GO FLAMES GO.
If the Jets are playing, GO JE-... nm, ғ**ĸ the Jets.
GO FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #337
OldDutch
First Line Centre
 
OldDutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North of the River, South of the Bluff
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
What are you all using to clean your TV screens? Always think I've got mine spotless and then the sun shines on it and I'm amazed at the dust I miss. Microfiber does OK but seems to just push it around for the most part.
Vinegar and water works well with a soft cloth.

I get fingerprints all the time because it is on a pull out mount.
OldDutch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #338
OldDutch
First Line Centre
 
OldDutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North of the River, South of the Bluff
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
FYI, if anyone is looking to buy the Sony X900 there were rumours they cancelled the proposed software update to enable VRR.

Since then, they've denied the rumours: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1610531618

However, it doesn't sound like X900 owners (me) will get the update any time soon.
I am tempted to buy this model as it is on sale, but this news is a deal breaker. I wanted it for the PS5 I am going to buy.

Guess it is waiting until later in the year for new Sony or sooner if OLED goes on crazy sale
OldDutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #339
sketchyt
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I am tempted to buy this model as it is on sale, but this news is a deal breaker. I wanted it for the PS5 I am going to buy.

Guess it is waiting until later in the year for new Sony or sooner if OLED goes on crazy sale
Maybe it's because I don't know any better, but the PS5 on it looks amazing. From a value standpoint plus the lack of options out there, it's been great. I have the opportunity to return it, but will pass.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #340
calgarywinning
First Line Centre
 
calgarywinning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Field near Field, AB
Exp:
Default

LG CX series in OLED supper the variable refresh rate, 120 hz and HDMI 2.1 to do it all. Sony has been late to the game to update their "hardware" and it's surprising as they make the PS5.

I'm disappointed as i'd love a Sony OLED but it looks like LG CX series or the new LG C1 series is the way to go.
calgarywinning is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 PM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016