Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #501
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do they not coach how to stop slants in college? I swear 90% of completions are slants.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #502
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

In college it's pretty rare to see a defense match up man to man very much, most teams play extensive amounts of zone which is easy to beat with slants and crossers. But I mean in general Ohio State's plan for Davonta today has been awful, he's gotten matched up on linebackers a few times even which is inexplicable.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:25 PM   #503
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Nah, Fields is gonna slide on draft day and no one else is gonna reach that high. The Jets, Miami, Cincinnati, Philly, all desperately need a true #1 guy and Ja'Marr and Devonta are both special. If the Jets pass on a QB we're probably seeing WR at #2 and #3.

don't think Zach Taylor could go top 3?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:35 PM   #504
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Do they not coach how to stop slants in college? I swear 90% of completions are slants.

Quick slants are tough to cover, especially in a read route structure where if its covered too aggressively they pop deep to open space.

Plus a well run slant just leads to inside leverage for the receiver.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:17 AM   #505
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man that was impressive, especially given what Ohio State did to Clemson last week. I could see Devonta going as high as #2 this spring.

I see on Twitter some media sources calling this the best college team of the past 10 years...2019 LSU was better IMO.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #506
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Man that was impressive, especially given what Ohio State did to Clemson last week. I could see Devonta going as high as #2 this spring.

I see on Twitter some media sources calling this the best college team of the past 10 years...2019 LSU was better IMO.
That LSU team was good. Not sure I would put this year's Alabama at that level but holy crap did they put up points this year - and against an all SEC schedule. Last night Mac Jones' stat's were similar to Joe Burrow's in last year's championship game when they dismantled Clemson.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #507
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Quick slants are tough to cover, especially in a read route structure where if its covered too aggressively they pop deep to open space.

Plus a well run slant just leads to inside leverage for the receiver.
The problem is solved in the NFL (for obvious reasons) but If you are being constantly burned by slants you need to adjust. You can scheme it into something better. Ohio State just let them run the same/similar play all night (till i stopped watching).
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #508
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bama finally let loose what this team has to offer. I hate the Tide with a passion but no doubt this was the best team in the nation by a long stretch. The fact they did it with Mac Jones (aka not a Heisman QB) makes it all the more impressive.

sheetiest part is that this will just continue the flood of 5 star recruits to Bama and this will continue on for another 10+ years.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #509
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I think Bama finally let loose what this team has to offer. I hate the Tide with a passion but no doubt this was the best team in the nation by a long stretch. The fact they did it with Mac Jones (aka not a Heisman QB) makes it all the more impressive.

sheetiest part is that this will just continue the flood of 5 star recruits to Bama and this will continue on for another 10+ years.
It wasn't even close. What has really impressed me about Nick Saban (and a lot of things have impressed me the more I see) is how he has completely transformed from a defence first, low scoring, ball control mindset when he arrived. This year's offensive numbers were truly staggering.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:34 PM   #510
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Bill O’Brien will be the new OC at Alabama. That is a good job for him, plays to his strengths.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:51 PM   #511
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

BTW I really hope they expand on the multi views that they offered this year, I really loved the film room with coaches channel. I think that was awesome and really educational.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote