Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #141
Geeoff
Franchise Player
 
Geeoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

man this thread evolved into something else entirely than what I expected.

I don't really feel comfortable commenting on the subject of the thread anymore.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #142
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Good luck Centennial Bank!

Why is it when our direct competitors best players are having difficulties we no longer have to play against them?

Did Centennial Bank invent COVID? Are there Pangolins in their safe??
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #143
Geeoff
Franchise Player
 
Geeoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Good luck Centennial Bank!

Why is it when our direct competitors best players are having difficulties we no longer have to play against them?

Did Centennial Bank invent COVID? Are there Pangolins in their safe??
I personally think Zoom did it
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #144
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
man this thread evolved into something else entirely than what I expected.

I don't really feel comfortable commenting on the subject of the thread anymore.
Putting all else aside...its an Elite Athlete going Bankrupt.

Nothing that hasnt happened before and wont happen again.

The only thing that makes this slightly strange is that Kane is still young and under contract and poised to earn a bunch more money.

Which is why I wonder about the legality of it all. Its just interesting. His gloating about being rich is just a bit of schadenfreude.
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #145
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I personally think Zoom did it
But.....thats actually not a bad conspiracy theory. I'll allow it.
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #146
BloodFetish
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
No, this is in fact the exact problematic statement.

I feel like it's largely just getting passed over here, but this is a perfect example of how we as a society might inadvertently treat people of colour differently. Someone pointing that out isn't because they want to see it. Red made the same comment about my exception to Banana phone being referenced in this thread.

Just because you don't think you were being racist by doing something does not absolve that action as inherently racist. Intent actually doesn't matter.
It's largely getting passed over here because most people agree the comments with regard to Kane have had nothing to do with the colour of his skin. (Banana-phone comment aside, perhaps a better approach would have been to politely, and correctly, point out that using that term in a thread involving a Black or Asian person could be easily misconstrued. Not everyone is as woke as you.)

I think there are many times where discussions around race are necessary and enlightening, but what I find ironic is that by bringing race into conversations when it's not warranted "we as a society might inadvertently treat people of colour differently".
BloodFetish is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #147
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

I mean I respect someone that takes care of his family. But when you have 5 million owing on loan guarantees for family businesses for example, then clearly your family is a big part of the problem.



Hey Evander I have this great idea for a ferrett grooming business, I need 5 million dollars to get it off of the ground.


I've read where some athletes have talked about having to learn to say no to family and friends and how to grow a thick skin with the "You've changed since you got rich retort". Having three houses doesn't help, and a million in a half in documented gambling debts usually makes me want to ask about un documented gambling debts.



I've hear that the NHL does a decent job with rookies in terms of teaching them about the trappings of becoming rich too fast. But shouldn't Kane's agent have done some work on making sure he had the resources to say "Stop draining my bank" or "I can't loan you money or guarantee your businesses" Or "I don't need three freaking homes"
__________________
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:50 PM   #148
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player
 
Cali Panthers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
No, this is in fact the exact problematic statement.

I feel like it's largely just getting passed over here, but this is a perfect example of how we as a society might inadvertently treat people of colour differently. Someone pointing that out isn't because they want to see it. Red made the same comment about my exception to Banana phone being referenced in this thread.

Just because you don't think you were being racist by doing something does not absolve that action as inherently racist. Intent actually doesn't matter.
I don't entirely disagree with you in a general sense, but sometimes a banana is just a banana.

And yes, of course intent matters, it's just not the singular or major factor to consider.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
If we can't fall in love with replaceable bottom 6 players then the terrorists have won.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #149
squiggs96
Franchise Player
 
squiggs96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Section 203
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I mean I respect someone that takes care of his family. But when you have 5 million owing on loan guarantees for family businesses for example, then clearly your family is a big part of the problem.



Hey Evander I have this great idea for a ferrett grooming business, I need 5 million dollars to get it off of the ground.


I've read where some athletes have talked about having to learn to say no to family and friends and how to grow a thick skin with the "You've changed since you got rich retort". Having three houses doesn't help, and a million in a half in documented gambling debts usually makes me want to ask about un documented gambling debts.



I've hear that the NHL does a decent job with rookies in terms of teaching them about the trappings of becoming rich too fast. But shouldn't Kane's agent have done some work on making sure he had the resources to say "Stop draining my bank" or "I can't loan you money or guarantee your businesses" Or "I don't need three freaking homes"
Many players need better agents/financial/accountants in their circle.There are way too many stories of athletes going broke because of the people they surround themselves with. It's especially tough for hockey players, since they don't make anywhere near the money that players in the other Big 4 sports make. The average NBA player made over 8.3 MM dollars last year. Only 29 NHL players will make more than that this year, with that number going down with the 75% reduction.

It must be really tough for guys who came from nothing, who finally make millions, to say no to their friends, family, and people acting like they are friends just for money. It also is required they learn to say no. Few of them learned financial management along the way since none of them are allowed to earn any money until they are a professional. Then they get $3MM and think that money is unlimited because their dad made $40,000 working at the mill and he survived. They also need to think of what happens after the career ends, because they hopefully have another 40-50 years to go.

It's a great idea to invest in some businesses, but odds are your 45 year old cousin, who has never run a business, will not be successful in his new venture for stealing air out of bike tires.
__________________
My thanks equals mod team endorsement of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion
Sorry if this is a stupid thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016