Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #1421
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!
 
Bill Bumface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Exp:
Default

C-FIVO is an amazing tail number, or whatever the hell the term is for helicopters.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #1422
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Okotoks
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I admit it, I snickered...but I do like the dark blue with the silver hawk logo over the straight black, hawk decal and yellow lettering.
I agree, I always thought the blue and silver looked sharp
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #1423
Ducay
Franchise Player
 
Ducay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Exp:
Default

Assume colloquially the program will still be known as Hawcs?

Either way, slick looking airframe. Good for the CPS, give them all the tools and equipment they need. CPS is over-vilified right now and even just having something like this at their disposal is a good reminder of our appreciation for what they do on a daily basis.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:14 PM   #1424
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player
 
WhiteTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Assume colloquially the program will still be known as Hawcs?
Yup. It's still the Helicopter Air Watch for Community Safety program. The program hasn't changed, the birds have just aged out.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 11:00 PM   #1425
Reaper
Franchise Player
 
Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: I'm right behind you
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I assume you mean 'how', and the answer to that would be two.

CPS is currently still using HAWC1 (as noted on it's sales pitch) but they recently added CFIVO, which took HAWC2's place.

CFIVO is an Airbus H125. Here's a short vid the Herald did on the new 'copter

Spoiler!
C-FIVO also has HAWC 1 on the section directly under it's main rotor. Does that not mean it is HAWC 1?
__________________
Don't fear me. Trust me.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:27 AM   #1426
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player
 
WhiteTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
C-FIVO also has HAWC 1 on the section directly under it's main rotor. Does that not mean it is HAWC 1?
I dunno how the Air Support unit wants to/will do their naming after this. I just know that the 'actual' HAWC1 is still flying under that callsign, and the new helicopter goes by CFIVO.

Maybe when they have both new ones in service, CFIVO will swap to HAWC1.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 04:42 AM   #1427
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player
 
Huntingwhale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh man! That is super cheap!! Do you get to keep the searchlight and the guns?

What about parking?
I remember in Elementary school shortly after the city bought one of the first choppers, the chopper landed in our school yard. Prior to that, all the classrooms were given a heads-up about the arrival and were allowed to brainstorm and select a single question from each class to be asked to the officer/pilot. I remember after much ''deliberation", my class' question was what kind of cool weapons does the chopper have?

I think we were all expecting it to have some kind of cool equipment like terminator-style chain guns, lasers, and other 90s action movie guns to mow down houses, hollywood-style.

I'll never forget how dejected my classmates looked when the officer simply said there are no guns; the only weapons are the pistol the officer's carry. Next question. Bummer

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-12-2021 at 04:45 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #1428
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I remember in Elementary school shortly after the city bought one of the first choppers, the chopper landed in our school yard. Prior to that, all the classrooms were given a heads-up about the arrival and were allowed to brainstorm and select a single question from each class to be asked to the officer/pilot. I remember after much ''deliberation", my class' question was what kind of cool weapons does the chopper have?

I think we were all expecting it to have some kind of cool equipment like terminator-style chain guns, lasers, and other 90s action movie guns to mow down houses, hollywood-style.

I'll never forget how dejected my classmates looked when the officer simply said there are no guns; the only weapons are the pistol the officer's carry. Next question. Bummer
Yeah. I was there. Remember?
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #1429
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player
 
WhiteTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

The other day, the January photo from the CPS K9 calendar hit the internet, causing a bit of amusement:

Spoiler!


Today, they release an outtake:

Spoiler!
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #1430
Jiri Hrdina
Moderator
 
Jiri Hrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Exp:
Default

^As an outtake that photo has remarkable symmetry, with each dog on either side doing the same thing. It's a remarkable photo actually!
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:12 PM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016