Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #3821
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Air Transat has dropped the price of their 2019 flights from Calgary to Vancouver down to $135 CAD roundtrip including taxes.

July and August dates are available, as well as Friday to Sunday weekend flights.

You can also find vice versa flights (Vancouver to Calgary) for a similar roundtrip price.

May, June, July, August, and September 2019 dates are available.

link: http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-vanco...-weekend-dates

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #3822
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone been to Sooke recently? Looking for info on where to go to buy seafood for our own cooking. Will also take any restaurant recommendations! Thanks!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #3823
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody deal with Sixt car rentals? Haven’t heard of them but they seem to be one of the cheaper places in Iceland.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #3824
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody deal with Sixt car rentals? Haven’t heard of them but they seem to be one of the cheaper places in Iceland.
They don't have much of a presence in North America, but they're pretty big in Europe. It's pretty much the same as renting from any other rental car company.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #3825
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've used them twice, never had an issue(other than them giving me a Renault Craptur). They won't let you take it on the Nurbergring though.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #3826
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I rented from them in Reykjavik 2 years ago. No issues whatsoever and they had two different locations IIRC. Paid extra to get portable wifi in the vehicle which the kids liked after a few days of radio silence.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #3827
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Used them in Croatia. No different than with any other rental company. They had rules about not taking the car into other countries or on ferries, so check with stuff like that if it's applicable.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #3828
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Anyone been to Sooke recently? Looking for info on where to go to buy seafood for our own cooking. Will also take any restaurant recommendations! Thanks!
I asked a friend that lives there and this is what he said: "The government wharf is the best followed by a place just up the hill from the wharf.
There’s a restaurant there as well or the Sooke harbour house has great seafood dinners buts a bit pricey."
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #3829
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did a quick search of the forum and this thread but all the car rental stuff is pretty old.

Anyone used AutoEurope for car rentals? They seem to have by far the cheapest rates by quite a bit. Google tells me some people have had some issues but they also all sound like morons.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:19 AM   #3830
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A few years ago we rented through AutoEurope and it worked out fine. It was a bit messier during pick up/drop off with Hertz which was the actual company the car was rented through. I don't think that had anything to do with AutoEurope though. AutoEurope will email you a voucher you have to present to the rental car company, so maybe not as smooth as booking directly with a Hertz, National, etc.

This past summer I think I searched for best prices on AutoEurope and then just booked through Budget directly. We did a one way trip (Paris to Nice) and it all worked out really well.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rd_aaron For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #3831
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Europe I have always found Sixt or Avis to be the cheapest(particularly one way), and Europcar to serve areas that aren't as popular. I haven't had problems renting from any of them. I've never used AutoEurope, I don't really like to buy services through secondary companies, sounds messy.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #3832
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

The thing is that booking direct through any of the rental companies is significantly more expensive than using an aggregator (Expedia, Kayak, AutoEurope, etc). I've used them before without issue, just never used AutoEurope. They seem to have plenty of good reviews and a few bad ones, just like anywhere.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #3833
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if you could call one of the companies directly after getting the aggregator price and ask them to match that? I've had luck with that on hotels before.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #3834
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ive used AutoEurope before with no issues. Ive found renting a car in Europe to be a bit of a random crapshoot (some are very professional, some come across like a mom and pop side-business), but that's usually more to do with the local rental location itself.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #3835
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Air Transat has dropped the price of their 2019 flights from Calgary to Vancouver down to $135 CAD roundtrip including taxes.

July and August dates are available, as well as Friday to Sunday weekend flights.

You can also find vice versa flights (Vancouver to Calgary) for a similar roundtrip price.

May, June, July, August, and September 2019 dates are available.

link: http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-vanco...-weekend-dates

-
Has anyone flown on a Transat 737-300? It's the plane indicated for these flights for some dates I am looking at but I can't find a seat map online for it. (-700, -800 no problem). It's a short flight but I don't want to be crushed.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #3836
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Has anyone flown on a Transat 737-300? It's the plane indicated for these flights for some dates I am looking at but I can't find a seat map online for it. (-700, -800 no problem). It's a short flight but I don't want to be crushed.
It's Transat, you're going to be crushed and most likely an hour late.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #3837
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to the Air Transat site they only have 700 and 800 series 737s in their fleet.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #3838
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much more of a basic crowd sourcing question. Planning on going somewhere in mid to late Feb with my girlfriend. It'll be something like 5 or 6 days. We're hoping for something warm, more budget friendly ($400~ for flight per person).

We've considered San Diego (lots of things to do/see?), Palm Springs (I know if there's much?) and maybe San Francisco. Just wondering if anybody else had any ideas?
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #3839
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

San Francisco is generally not very warm in February.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #3840
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Palm Springs is decent in February, around 20 degrees, but if you're looking for tropical Mexico/Hawaii would be better. Also if you're looking for sightseeing San Diego might be better for stuff to see and do
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote