Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #2201
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Likely refers to US Netflix, but all Netflix originals should be applicable to Canada.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #2202
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Cloverfield paradox just dropped.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #2203
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Cloverfield Paradox was just announced and is already available to stream.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #2204
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When the hell is Friday Night Tykes season 5 coming to Netflix in Canada? It’s already out in the US.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #2205
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Well I watched the Cloverfield paradox right away. I thought the original was ok and I thought the sort of sequel was good.

It wasn’t necessarily awful but I’m gonna say it’s awful because of all the wasted potential. They had a fascinating premise and they didn’t deliver it all. They didn’t really explain anything and the twist was cheap.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #2206
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:36 PM   #2207
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well I watched the Cloverfield paradox right away. I thought the original was ok and I thought the sort of sequel was good.

It wasn’t necessarily awful but I’m gonna say it’s awful because of all the wasted potential. They had a fascinating premise and they didn’t deliver it all. They didn’t really explain anything and the twist was cheap.
I liked some parts of it, and you're right, the premise was a really good idea

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 02-04-2018 at 11:47 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2018, 11:49 PM   #2208
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Captain that’s exactly the movie I was thinking of the whole time while I watched it. I kept hoping they’d go another direction but they didn’t.

Name of the other movie.
Spoiler!
Old 02-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #2209
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's the one, the plot was similar

Spoiler!

Old 02-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #2210
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm really confused about this movie, they promoted it as something to explain the origins of the Monster.

But if you look at the movies

Cloverfield - Giant 25 story unstoppable monster clomps through New York and in the end is still alive. Its described as an infant but is huge. No explanation about where it came from except the Sea. The last shot in the movie is of two of the characters at the park a few day prior to the vents and we see a object crashing into the ocean.

10 Cloverfield lane - a thriller in a underground bombshelter. The owner lost a daughter and is basically trying to reconstitute a family, but he's insane, only the girl survives and escapes the bunker and finds out that the earth has been invaded by aliens and there's a successful human resistance.

Cloverfield Paradox - Mankind faces a dire energy shortage so they decide to build a huge particle accelerator that will provide limitless energy, but its considered to be too dangerous to fire up on the ground so they orbit it. A scientist warns that it will rip open dimensions and allow demons and monsters to walk the earth. They fire it up and get transported to an alternate dimension. But they fire it up again to come back, the survivors return to earth but it has been overtaken by "these things" that are apparently cloud busting sized several thousand feet tall relatives of the original monster.

So how does the Cloverfield universe fit together. Clearly it doesn't at all, and it really doesn't discuss the origins of the original monster because either this movie takes place before of after the original.

In the original there was no energy crisis, like there was in paradox, we see that because New York is brightly lit and there's no discussion around an energy crisis, so we have to assume that Paradox takes place in the future right? Well that can't be assumed because frankly then seeing a thousands of foot tall monster tromping through the city or even multiple ones wouldn't have been as big of a surprise as it was in this movie.

So is there a link with 10 Cloverfield lane? Well we had a bomb shelter that looked like the one in that movie, and we had a little girl in there and the hero. In 10 Cloverfield Lane Howard talks about having a daughter that he lost, and that's basically why he wanted to reconstitute a family. So is it possible that at some point, Howard takes over that shelter kills the doctor and adopts the little girl as his own. So does 10 Cloverfield lane take place in the distant future after an alien invasion wipes out the Cloverfield monsters tromping the earth and want to terriform the planet as their own.

Or is it possible that none of these stories are in the same dimension and that's the paradox.

that we have seen at least 4 earths. The original earth, the second war torn earth in Paradox, a third earth in 10 Cloverfield lane and they all have distinct stories, but are taking place at the same time?

Or could it be that my cynical stance takes place and that the term cloverfield is a marketing concept and these movies and plots are unrelated but named the way they are to make them more appealing and the final scene in Paradox with the monster roaring at the screen was meant to be nothing more them a shock omg this is cool moment?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #2211
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the first 10 minutes last night, but listening to the scientist talk about what would happen if they fired up that particle accelerator made me think that firing it up was what caused the events in the first two movies to happen.

Like I said, just started watching it but that was my immediate take on it.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #2212
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Next cloverfield is supposed to be a ww2 movie which has already finished shooting
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #2213
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I didn't think the new Cloverfield was bad but I didn't think it was great either. It almost felt like it was suppose to be a entirely different movie and then at the last minute they decided to make it a Cloverfield movie so they added and changed a few things to connect it to the franchise.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #2214
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

That’s exactly what happened. It wasn’t supposed to have anything to do with Cloverfield. It was changed last minute to fit in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #2215
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One of my favorite things is hard boiled sci-fi murder mysteries.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #2216
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really enjoying Ripper Street. It's excellent.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #2217
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes, Cloverfield Paradox was...really bad. Started out OK too, but went absolutely nowhere.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #2218
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite part of Cloverfield was when they were trying to fix things and Chris O'Dowd's character was tasked with turning things off and then turning them back on again.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #2219
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

New Chris Rock special out tomorrow

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #2220
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season's 1-7 of Family Guy are gone now. No idea when the rest of it goes, maybe a month or so?

Kind of glad it's gone. I watch it too much, now I'll have time for other shows. I hear great things about Black Mirror.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote