Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2023, 12:35 PM   #1661
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whataburger >> Shake shack.

Give your head a shake for even bringing jack in the box into this convo. Dirt level.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:27 PM   #1662
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
What's your fav place that serves both burgers and local craft beer?
Cilantro & Chive in Lacombe. And now the south end of Red Deer as well.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 05:07 PM   #1663
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
What's your fav place that serves both burgers and local craft beer?
Waterloo Pub
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:57 PM   #1664
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was down in California last week and finally made the effort to try in-n-out burger and I really liked the burger and the shake.

The fries with and without the animal sauce were just alright
Old 04-06-2023, 06:04 PM   #1665
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Cilantro & Chive in Lacombe. And now the south end of Red Deer as well.
Oh man, back when they had one in Ponoka I went there every day for a whole week. Bison Blue Cheese steak was amazing
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 06:10 PM   #1666
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
A little meh on Shake Shack.

I wish we’d get a Jack in the Box instead.
Jack in the Crack?

WTF, that stuff is nasty even for fast food.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 06:15 PM   #1667
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Whataburger >> Shake shack.

Give your head a shake for even bringing jack in the box into this convo. Dirt level.
I personally wouldn't agree on the Whataburger/Shake Shack point. But they are in different categories as i see it.

Whataburger is in the In-N-Out, Wendy's category of fast food. And it's near the top, but IMO only because of their sauces and biscuits. But definitely better than any of the huge chains.

Shake Shack is in the category above, with places like Five Guys and Smashburger. And IMO they are near the top of that group.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2023, 10:21 PM   #1668
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I was down in California last week and finally made the effort to try in-n-out burger and I really liked the burger and the shake.

I was too. Animal style fries were overhype. I agree on burger and shake as well.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:43 PM   #1669
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bumping this.

In my infinite quest to "eat better" at the start of January, I had two burgers during purgatory week.

Inglewood Drive-In. Apparently the "best" burger in Calgary? It was good. Better than fast food chains, but best? no.

Native Tongues. I have had this many times, it's my go-to order at Native Tongues (yes, the taco joint has a burger) and it is flat out delicious! Top 3 in town.

The thing that got me this time about the NT burger is the price. $16 for the (double) burger with chips. In this day and age, that is a great deal. I recently had A&W on a road trip. Burger, fries, and a pop was over $17...
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:10 PM   #1670
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say IDI could be one of the the best fast food burgers. There's lots of better sit down places.

Hey that A&W guy needs to get paid too. Also somebody has to pay for driving lessons and insurance for that teenage female driver.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:29 PM   #1671
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Native tongues is great
Also that new joint Class Clown is damn good
On the other side Saucey and Bussin are meh
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:37 AM   #1672
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Native tongues is great
Also that new joint Class Clown is damn good
On the other side Saucey and Bussin are meh
Class Clown is exceptional!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 10:07 AM   #1673
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

I've heard the consensus is that In-n-Out has bad fries. They freshly cut them and throw them right into the fryer. They don't rinse to remove starch, or go through a two-stage parfry and fry at two different temperatures to get the crispy outside and fluffy inside.

McDonalds might be cooked from frozen, but they go through those pre-conditioning processes at the factory.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:40 AM   #1674
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Tried Class Clown in November, not great for me. Not quite getting the love for it. Playing around with doing online reviews, posted this on Trip Advisor:

Went to Class Clown and got the Donald McRonald. Based on the looks, the meat would taste good, well cooked and smashed. And I like a sesame bun. But the ketchup and cheese really cancelled out any other flavor and made the burger mushy. Needs less ketchup and either a better toasted bun or some iceberg lettuce to break up the toppings and crown.

As for the fries, not a fan of crinkle cut, but got the Super Fries. They come in a small overflowing bowl, drowning in the cheese sauce. So it's real hard to have a fry that is not smothered in cheese sauce. Had to dig under the top layer. Needs a bigger bowl or plate so we can control the amount of sauce. Tried the Coney sauce and it was pretty good. Fries with a side of cheese or Coney would be best here, or a better plate.

Also had a fountain pop and it was almost warm. There was a bit of ice that melted within a minute or two. A little sad when you see a "Ice Cold" beverage fridge at the bar.

The funky 70's decor was nice and service was pretty good. Unfortunately some decisions on the burgers and fries made them less than enjoyable.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 10:50 AM   #1675
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

We went to Peters for burgers and milkshakes on December 31 as a send-off to unhealthy food as well and it's still my favorite. I know they're trendy to hate on for some reason but as someone who grew up here there's just something nostalgic and perfect about everything. And I don't think you can beat their Oreo milkshake.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 11:55 AM   #1676
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Tried Class Clown in November, not great for me. Not quite getting the love for it. Playing around with doing online reviews, posted this on Trip Advisor:

Went to Class Clown and got the Donald McRonald. Based on the looks, the meat would taste good, well cooked and smashed. And I like a sesame bun. But the ketchup and cheese really cancelled out any other flavor and made the burger mushy. Needs less ketchup and either a better toasted bun or some iceberg lettuce to break up the toppings and crown.

As for the fries, not a fan of crinkle cut, but got the Super Fries. They come in a small overflowing bowl, drowning in the cheese sauce. So it's real hard to have a fry that is not smothered in cheese sauce. Had to dig under the top layer. Needs a bigger bowl or plate so we can control the amount of sauce. Tried the Coney sauce and it was pretty good. Fries with a side of cheese or Coney would be best here, or a better plate.

Also had a fountain pop and it was almost warm. There was a bit of ice that melted within a minute or two. A little sad when you see a "Ice Cold" beverage fridge at the bar.

The funky 70's decor was nice and service was pretty good. Unfortunately some decisions on the burgers and fries made them less than enjoyable.
No idea this place existed. Food looks mediocre. The only reason I want to go is that it looks like a 70s dive bar with my grandmas plates.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:24 AM   #1677
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I also was not impressed with Class Clown. Ordered the Winnipeg Fat Boy. My only guess is that whoever made that burger has never been to Winnipeg. It's like they heard of the ingredients and said "We can make that!"

It wasn't terrible, but I was hoping for better. I was also hoping to find a place to eat between work and Flames games and I was looking at their craft beer selection. They had 8 different sours but only one IPA. So that's also a strike against them.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:26 AM   #1678
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their website is terrible https://www.classclown.ca/
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:32 AM   #1679
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Their website is terrible https://www.classclown.ca/
C’mon. That took at least five minutes using Squarespace to get that made. They’re too busy making trendy tasty burgers to care about stuff like that.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:28 PM   #1680
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tired the cowboy from Burgers Near Me in the District Food Hall and thought it was pretty good. Smash burger style burgers but not too thin and it was cooked really well. The toppings and sauce didn’t really add much. Would try again but without all the toppings.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote