Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon48 NHLPA declines to reopen CBA and will continue to have discussions about extension

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
The NHLPA has decided not use its option to reopen the CBA. The current agreement now runs through Sept. 15, 2022.

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
The #NHLPA announced today that the Executive Board has declined to reopen the CBA with the NHL following the 2019-20 season. The current CBA remains in effect through the 2021-22 season.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Good news.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Legit stunned as I always expect the worst when Fehr is involved.

This is great to see!
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

great to see
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
This guarantees a minimum of three years of labor peace. Ongoing discussions with NHL will continue to amend the remaining three years of this CBA with the possibility of a three- or four-year extension beyond that.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #6
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tremendous news.

I just assume a hockey lockout whenever there is an expiring cba now. Am still shocked to see this happen.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 09-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #9
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure where to put this question, so this seems like a reasonable spot...

Regarding LTIR, is it correct that LTIR overages are included in the league totals when determining HRR? The reason I ask is that there are going to be several teams over the cap this year (including their LTIR), Much more than in past years, IMO. If the totals include the overages, then the total salaries this year are going to blow the HRR number out of the water. That will mean that escrow will be ginormous. Which will piss off the players.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: I was incorrect.

Last edited by Weitz; 09-16-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Not sure where to put this question, so this seems like a reasonable spot...

Regarding LTIR, is it correct that LTIR overages are included in the league totals when determining HRR? The reason I ask is that there are going to be several teams over the cap this year (including their LTIR), Much more than in past years, IMO. If the totals include the overages, then the total salaries this year are going to blow the HRR number out of the water. That will mean that escrow will be ginormous. Which will piss off the players.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
If I understand what you're asking, yes.

All money paid to all players while on NHL rosters (including time spent in the AHL on a conditioning assignment and time spent on the IR) is included when calculating the players' share of revenue.

Also, that calculation is made using the actual money owed to the players during the season, not the cap hit.

----------

If you look at CapFriendly right now, the Leafs total cap commitments for a 23 man roster with 4 players expected to start the season on LTIR are almost $95 million. They are cap compliant because of the LTIR, but those players still will get their share of the players' share of HRR.

Even worse though, the Leafs "Estimated Salary Expenditure" (i.e. the actual money they'll be paying their players this season) is over $113 million. That is almost $32 million above the cap, and $42.5 million above the salary midpoint that is supposed to be the average team payroll.

That's all before the season actually starts and real player injuries start adding up.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #12
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, what getbak said. LTIRetirement is a big issue swinging escrow right now.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #13
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, that is exactly what I was asking, thanks.

And as both of you also suggest, total salaries this year are going to be much higher than in the past. So the HRR ceiling is going to get blown out of the water, and escrow is going to be nasty.

Something will have to give. And this recent evolution (revolution?) of RFA salaries is going to have serious consequences.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #14
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, that is exactly what I was asking, thanks.

And as both of you also suggest, total salaries this year are going to be much higher than in the past. So the HRR ceiling is going to get blown out of the water, and escrow is going to be nasty.

Something will have to give. And this recent evolution (revolution?) of RFA salaries is going to have serious consequences.
I think they will just hard set the ceiling for a few years to catch it all back up.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think they will just hard set the ceiling for a few years to catch it all back up.
Escrow is a function of total salaries and total HRR. If total salaries are more than HRR (which they will be, by a significant amount this year), then they apply escrow to bring the total salaries down to equal the HRR number.

What you are referring to is that they are talking about not pushing up the annual cap target (currently $81.5M) as quickly, so that actual revenues can catch up with growth on the cap number.

But escrow is a formula, it can't simply be held back until things catch up.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #16
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Escrow is a function of total salaries and total HRR. If total salaries are more than HRR (which they will be, by a significant amount this year), then they apply escrow to bring the total salaries down to equal the HRR number.

What you are referring to is that they are talking about not pushing up the annual cap target (currently $81.5M) as quickly, so that actual revenues can catch up with growth on the cap number.

But escrow is a formula, it can't simply be held back until things catch up.
Yes I am talking about the salary cap ceiling. If you don't grow the cap escrow will go down relative to HRR increasing (assuming of course).
Old 09-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #17
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yes I am talking about the salary cap ceiling. If you don't grow the cap escrow will go down relative to HRR increasing (assuming of course).
In coming years, yes. But that doesn't solve the pending problem for this year - which will be significant.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #18
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

One thing I don't really understand about the CBA - my understanding is that players are supposed to get 50% of the HRR, and this is achieved by escrowing a certain % of the revenues until the end of the year when HRR can be determined and the appropriate amount of escrow released so that the players as a whole get 50% of HRR. Right now, my understanding is that the salary cap is a fair bit higher than 50% of HRR, so players aren't actually getting paid out their contract value. Is there any provision in the CBA for what would happen if HRR exceeds 2x the salary cap (+LTIR salary owed I guess)? Do the owners pocket all the upside of any situation where revenues exceed expectation?

If so, it might help explain why the NHLPA has elected to escalate the cap every year, even though it seems like revenues did not increase that much over the last while (at least according to this article from 2017), even though increasing the salary cap basically only benefits the players who are up for a new contract that year (and, based on what we saw with Mangiapane, really just star players) - everyone else who has a longer-term contract can only lose out from the salary cap going up.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #19
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If revenues exceed expectation, HRR will be higher than expected. If HRR were higher than total salaries, players would get a bonus.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #20
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If revenues exceed expectation, HRR will be higher than expected. If HRR were higher than total salaries, players would get a bonus.
Does anyone know how the bonuses are paid out? Is it divided equally among all players or is it paid out relative to the size of their individual contract? For example would a player with a $10M dollar salary get a bonus 10 times the amount of a player with a $1M dollar salary or do they each get the same amount?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote