Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #601
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
2.) Spotty internet downtown, or in a mall. Or sometimes even a Costco. Why? is this a ####ing issue, Shaw?
They only operate at higher frequencies, so the ability to penetrate large amounts of concrete is nil.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #602
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Koodo, Virgin and Fido are good alternatives. Same coverage as their parent companies for less money.
Koodo = Telus
Virgin = Bell
Fido = Rogers

Your money is still going into one of the big 3's pockets. But yeah I get what you're saying. I'm with Koodo myself, and really I don't see any reason people who just want regular call, text and internet service shouldn't be with them.

But after travelling to Europe last month and getting a 45 GB phone plan for $9....it's frustrating to see the alternatives still end up at the big 3's doorstep. It's just disappointing to see a true alternatives pop up like Freedom/Wind, yet so many problems with them that's it's not even worth it and we end up back with the big 3.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-25-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #603
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well a few more months and the 700Mhz will pretty much take care of some of the spotty network issues. Sale's been approved by the ISED now so we are good to go
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 02:23 AM   #604
sasha
Draft Pick

Was with WIND/Freedom for about 7 days before cancelling. The unlimited data plan that i got was unusable. This was last year though and maybe they improved. It was funny cuz when i went back to the store for a refund they tried to prove me wrong by trying the service on their own phone and say their own data plan was unusable. Maybe its my city or just the zones i roam. Strangely, i have never had such unusable service (specifically, for data) with anyone else. I currently am using Virgin and Fido.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 PM   #605
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for your year old anecdote.

Super helpful.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #606
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Was planning on switching from Telus to Freedom, not so sure after reading the last few pages of this thread.

One concern. I`m out at MacLean Creek a lot dirtbiking and can send texts from up on the ridges, basically right above Elbow Falls.

Will this be possible with Freedom?
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #607
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'm not sure if DoubleK will approve of me replying, as we haven't been with Wind/Freedom for several months. However your question is one of the reasons we moved away. There were just too many times when outside of the city that we didn't have access. Not even on the roaming options. We had a $33 plan for my son, and the extra $15 we spend per month to go with Koodo (or any of the other secondary providers) is well worth it.

Just 2 weeks ago we were going hiking, and the trail we wanted to go on was closed due to bears. The people in our group on Freedom didn't get the text until 45 minutes later.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #608
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
Was planning on switching from Telus to Freedom, not so sure after reading the last few pages of this thread.

One concern. I`m out at MacLean Creek a lot dirtbiking and can send texts from up on the ridges, basically right above Elbow Falls.

Will this be possible with Freedom?
I'm not exactly sure what part of EF you were near, but I was hiking around there last Sunday and my buddy on Freedom lost his reception pretty quick, while the rest of us still had it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #609
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That's enough for me, not going to consider Freedom.

Stopped by the Telus store after work, complete waste of time. They were trying to tell me I was lucky to have the old plan and only paying $75/mo. Basically made 2 calls some months and that went up to $95/mo.

Koodoo can do ~$40/mo for double the data and unlimited Canada calling which I do not have now. They use the Telus network, any downside with bandwidth, etc?
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:04 AM   #610
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Just 2 weeks ago we were going hiking, and the trail we wanted to go on was closed due to bears. The people in our group on Freedom didn't get the text until 45 minutes later.
Depends on what plan you are on. Every plan they offer over $40 has unlimited Canada wide text. You don't have to be on their network to use that.

Maybe they don't have their phones set up correctly as it does take some fanagling to get it to work properly.

I'm fully supportive of people crapping on Wind/Freedom. Means better speeds for me. Even with adding the off network data charges I'm still way ahead of a big Telco plan. Plus unlimited data in the US for $15/month, there isn't anything remotely comparable that I've seen in the market.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #611
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
Koodoo can do ~$40/mo for double the data and unlimited Canada calling which I do not have now. They use the Telus network, any downside with bandwidth, etc?
We switched my son over to Koodo last August, and my wife and I early this spring. I have not seen any difference from when I was on Bell previously. (Which also uses the same towers.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Maybe they don't have their phones set up correctly as it does take some fanagling to get it to work properly.
I know we brought my SIL's phone into a Freedom store to have them check the settings once she started traveling out of town more often. She finally gave up and switched over to Fido a couple of months ago. The one thing I've heard is that if you only use SMS messaging it works better; so people on Android phones have fewer issues than people on iPhones. For me- I don't want to have to do any fanagling- I just want it to work.

I will give you that the US data plan is sweet.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #612
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Finally switched back to Telus from Freedom. Reception is significantly better for the areas that I visit and I didn't have any issues with my G5+ getting LTE coverage.

Still wasn't able to get that LTE issue solved with Freedom after multiple calls to tech support. I'm concerned they might be whitelisting their own devices right now.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #613
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freedom totally revamped their plans and took the opportunity to jack up their rates.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #614
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good news to Freedom Mobile customers with a OnePlus 5 phone. OnePlus just pushed out an update to properly support Freedom's Band 66 LTE. Previously, the OnePlus5 could connect to LTE, but if you moved to an area where the LTE signal was unavailable, the phone would drop to H+, and wouldn't reconnect to LTE under any circumstances.

Just installed the update and will test over the next few days, but the update explicitly said it was to support Band 66 of Freedom in Canada, along with fixing the wifi WPA2 security bug (and a few others things).

I'm really happy we were able to move to the $50/8GB Canada/US LTE plan before Freedom changed their plan structure. Now that the bug is fixed, there's nothing more I could ask for (except, maybe, if Freedom releases some more 35% off friends/family codes)
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #615
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #616
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea, Freedom will be enabling LTE support across bands 4,7,13 by mid next year. I would expect huge speed and coverage improvements over the next little bit. They will be a quad band LTE shop very soon including the launched band 66.

Bands 4 will probably come first, 7 and 13 later next year from their press releases.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #617
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have any info on the LTE for in Calgary? I used to use Wind, but the speeds were just so slow that I had to change. Currently I use FIDO but it seems like my data usage has gone through the roof since I switched, and I'm not sure why.

Strongly considering going back since LTE wasn't available when I was with Wind.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #618
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Got that as well. Calgary is in December?
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:36 PM   #619
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus, spoiler that. It's bigger than my monitor.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #620
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Got that as well. Calgary is in December?
December for Band 4 and Band 7 LTE and in time for the holiday specials. Band 13 won't be out till Q1-Q2 next year. Band 66 already launched.