Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #6681
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I just saw a speed trap just west of 52nd on Country Hills Blvd NE (EB), where, for some insane reason, the speed limit is 50kph. It's two lanes each direction, with a median that's got to be damn near 50' wide, on a finished road. Just past there, the rest of CHB is under construction, one lane each way with pylons dividing it, and it's 60, and on the other side of Metis, it's friggin 70 with construction.

How is that logical? Bravo, CPS traffic division, bravo. You sure saved some lives today. If I was a traffic cop and I got assigned to troll that bulls*** fishing hole, I'd be so embarrassed.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #6682
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Crazy scene on Stoney right in front of me (no dash cam). Southbound Stoney passing 17th ave se. Semi in left lane, semi in right lane. Guy in front of me in the middle lane passing both.

Left lane semi starts changing to middle lane. So fast things went from "haha, what an idiot" to "holy *** he doesn't see him!!!!". The guy basically came to almost a complete stop from 100km's an hour while this semi came within inches of crushing him.

He literally made it out with a few feet to spare. The right hand semi was flailing his arms and pulled right over, with the guy pulling over too. Left land semi kept going. I've never seen anything that close right in front of me before.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #6683
Jimmy Stang
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^ Precisely why passing on the right AND causing people to pass on the right should both be illegal and enforced.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #6684
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anybody actually honk to alert any of these drivers?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #6685
jayswin

Exp:

I was full two handing the horn through the whole thing. Just a dumb semi driver on every account. Slower than pace of traffic yet left laning it, decides suddenly to switch lanes with almost zero warning (which is 50x as bad in a semi as a regular vehicle) and still oblivious while almost crushing a car in the middle.

He only knew once it was all over because everyone was slowing down and pulling over from the incident.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #6686
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes, that's one of my worst nightmares, and why I always try to pass a semi as fast as possible.

Semis hanging out in the left lane is a pretty big gear grinder. I wish they were outlawed from the left lane like in many parts of the world.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #6687
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would traffic move more smoothly if you weren’t allowed to change lanes except for initially picking your chosen lane of travel and for exiting (assuming no accidents or lane closures). I feel like the constant pole position is a major contributor of the rush hour slowness on Deerfoot.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #6688
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Would traffic move more smoothly if you weren’t allowed to change lanes except for initially picking your chosen lane of travel and for exiting (assuming no accidents or lane closures). I feel like the constant pole position is a major contributor of the rush hour slowness on Deerfoot.
Yes. I've been on some similar scale roads in various cities/countries where you are unable to change lanes, or at least signed and solid lined as no lane changes for that purpose.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #6689
jayswin

Exp:

Actually if the guy who got caught in the middle has a dash cam we may actually see it surface from that perspective (he did drive up to the back of the semi quickly before tailing off and joining the good semi on the shoulder, which may have meant dashcam). I know I'm kicking myself for not having one.

I didn't see the appeal because they mostly seemed used for dolts filming little BS, honest mistakes and trying to shame people, often not realizing that they were just as big a factor in the incident. Seemed pretty lame, but something like this would be nice to have footage of.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #6690
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was browsing reddit at a red light today. The mother of the groom wore a wedding dress to the wedding. Bride was fuming. I had a chuckle.

Then I get honked at because the light turned.

I gmg

I became the thing I swore to destroy.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #6691
Igotnothing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The trashfire that is hospital parking. In this case, Foothills.

How long you going to be at the hospital today? Oh you don't know? Better just pay the max.

Stupid money grubbing system.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Igotnothing For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #6692
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Crazy scene on Stoney right in front of me (no dash cam). Southbound Stoney passing 17th ave se. Semi in left lane, semi in right lane. Guy in front of me in the middle lane passing both.

Left lane semi starts changing to middle lane. So fast things went from "haha, what an idiot" to "holy *** he doesn't see him!!!!". The guy basically came to almost a complete stop from 100km's an hour while this semi came within inches of crushing him.

He literally made it out with a few feet to spare. The right hand semi was flailing his arms and pulled right over, with the guy pulling over too. Left land semi kept going. I've never seen anything that close right in front of me before.
Something similar happened to me about 10 years ago on Deerfoot: I was driving SB going over the Ivor Strong bridge (where Deerfoot goes down to 2 lanes briefly), and I was in the left lane passing a semi that was next to me. When we got onto the bridge and I was directly beside him about half way up his trailer he decided to start swinging into my lane. I had absolutely no where to go as there's not much of a shoulder, so while laying on my horn I was breaking as hard as I could. He barely missed my front end. He must not have heard my horn because he just finished his lane change like nothing happened and carried on. I had to exit on Douglasdale and pull over to try and calm down. So yeah, passing semi's always makes me nervous as hell and I'd never try it on the right.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #6693
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I was browsing reddit at a red light today. The mother of the groom wore a wedding dress to the wedding. Bride was fuming. I had a chuckle.

I gmg

Sounds like you need to keep your phone in the trunk.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #6694
Iggy City
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Sounds like you need to keep your phone in the trunk.
Seriously...a red light is like what? Max 2-3 minutes if that even?

Can't just sit there and stare at nothing for 2 minutes?

I maybe understand if you received a message or something...but Reddit? Your texting and driving GMG too!
Iggy City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy City For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #6695
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I gmg

You’re also breaking the law. I’m glad you see this as an issue, but the issue is not that you were distracted long enough that you missed the light change but that you were on your phone while driving, period.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #6696
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

On my daily commute I'd say I see at least one person on their phone at a stop light. The car in front of them moves and 5-10 car lengths open up before they glance up from their phone and realize traffic is moving. As a result, the time I wait to honk at people not moving in front of me has decreased significantly.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #6697
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone else sometimes do a little 'false start' when sitting at a red light beside a texter, to see if they will blindly drive out into the intersection?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #6698
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Does anyone else sometimes do a little 'false start' when sitting at a red light beside a texter, to see if they will blindly drive out into the intersection?
I’ve thought about it but then realized I would feel like a ####ty person if they hit the person in front of them, a oedestrian, or someone t boned them.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #6699
you&me
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I've inadvertently caused this to happen twice. Both times in a turn lane with an advanced green. I guess the drivers in the through lane were distracted and when I went, they went too... Right into the back of the car in front of them
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #6700
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy city View Post
seriously...a red light is like what? Max 2-3 minutes if that even?

Can't just sit there and assess your ever-changing surroundings for 2 minutes?

I maybe understand if you received a message or something...but reddit? Your texting and driving gmg too!
fyp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post: