Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2024, 06:21 PM   #1
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Proper way to deal with people who have bad BO

Have someone working in my house right now who absolutely stinks. Like I don't want to be rude but is there a proper way to tell him? Has nobody ever told him?

He's only going to be here for a few hours but it's really bad.

Just ignore it? He must know..no?
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:22 PM   #2
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

He might know. He might not realize, the way people who live in heavily industrialized cities stop smelling the stink of the city (or Edmonton, I guess). It may be something he is strugglign with, or a condition he can't necessarily help. If he knows, he undoubtedly is tired of hearing about it.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:23 PM   #3
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it’s long term, you have to tell him. If not, go somewhere else for awhile.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:27 PM   #4
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Make some cookies to cover the smell

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:27 PM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

May I offer you some soap in this trying time?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 06:30 PM   #6
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's gone nose blind!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:30 PM   #7
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Did you get a look at his legs?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:45 PM   #8
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Make some cookies to cover the smell
Bad advice. That’ll just make it smell like BO cookies and it’ll ruin the smell of fresh cookies for a long time. Everytime you smell delicious fresh cookies your mind will associate it with horrible BO.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 07:13 PM   #9
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I used to work in a job where we had a lot of new Canadians. There were a couple of times I ended up being tasked to approach the person about their BO. A trend I saw was that some people didn't have the exposure to the chemicals we all did growing up, so they would get a bad rash from any sort of deodorant.

Now I'm sure there are better sensitive skin options, but back then the better option was either just baby powder under their arms, or there were more options geared towards women that worked better for them as they were marked to be "gentler."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 07:24 PM   #10
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Have someone working in my house right now who absolutely stinks. Like I don't want to be rude but is there a proper way to tell him? Has nobody ever told him?

He's only going to be here for a few hours but it's really bad.

Just ignore it? He must know..no?
Maybe he doesn’t wash his legs.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 07:27 PM   #11
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Bad advice. That’ll just make it smell like BO cookies and it’ll ruin the smell of fresh cookies for a long time. Everytime you smell delicious fresh cookies your mind will associate it with horrible BO.
Pro diet tip though.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 07:31 PM   #12
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I used to work in a job where we had a lot of new Canadians. There were a couple of times I ended up being tasked to approach the person about their BO. A trend I saw was that some people didn't have the exposure to the chemicals we all did growing up, so they would get a bad rash from any sort of deodorant.

Now I'm sure there are better sensitive skin options, but back then the better option was either just baby powder under their arms, or there were more options geared towards women that worked better for them as they were marked to be "gentler."

There are substantially chemical free deodorants available at places such as Amaranch and Community Natural. They are great. Look up "Green Beaver Deodorant" for example.

Sometimes it's also the clothing... I have some older sports clothes that when they come out of the washer/dryer they smell fine, but after 5-10mins of working out the stink comes out. So daily work/sports wear tends to build up. I've learned to only wash my workout stuff with workout stuff and use the "Sportswear" setting on my washer, with extra rinse. More importantly use a sports-specific detergent which makes a HUGE difference as they tackle the oils/fats that are more prevalent from activity.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6024-1...lour=NO_COLOUR
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:06 PM   #13
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the person is there for a few hours, I say suck it up. It's one of those most annoying smells possible but I can't see a scenario where anyone can approach it without it being embarrassing. There was once a lady at work who totally stunk of BO. I heard someone brought her a deodorant and placed it on her desk before she started her shift. I guess that's an approach but it'd still be embarrassing. There's just no good way IMO for it to be not embarrassing to the person.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:51 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 09:37 PM   #15
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

offer them an oilers jersey?

this might also work...
Old 04-20-2024, 10:27 PM   #16
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

When I was working for Safeway there was this night shift manager who had really bad BO. At the end of his shift he would leave his work smock hanging in the office. One day a bunch of us workers got a bar of soap and some deodorant and put in the pocket of his smock when our night shift was done. A few days later he showed up for our night stocking shift minus the bad BO. He never said anything to anyone but I think he knew we did it. He got the message
Old 04-21-2024, 12:08 AM   #17
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's probably best not to hurt the guy's feelings if it is only for a few hours. I can't imagine someone's BO being that bad that you can't put up with it for a while.

I have a friend who used to have really bad breath. Like really bad and people would recoil when talking to him and would talk about it behind his back. I eventually just told him he had bad breath and it was a problem, because it was. It became a trait that people associated with him and it was affecting his image and interpersonal relationships with people. He was pretty offended when I told him, but it did force him to go to the dentist and deal with his rotting tooth. I am still friends with him and his breath is normal now, so it was for the best.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:30 AM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 12:43 AM   #19
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's probably best not to hurt the guy's feelings if it is only for a few hours. I can't imagine someone's BO being that bad that you can't put up with it for a while.

I have a friend who used to have really bad breath. Like really bad and people would recoil when talking to him and would talk about it behind his back. I eventually just told him he had bad breath and it was a problem, because it was. It became a trait that people associated with him and it was affecting his image and interpersonal relationships with people. He was pretty offended when I told him, but it did force him to go to the dentist and deal with his rotting tooth. I am still friends with him and his breath is normal now, so it was for the best.
There was a janitor in my office who would legit clear a room out with his BO. It was insane; the type of BO they made you gag and have to clear your throat repeatedly because it was in your lungs. Tried to talk to him, no dice. Had to go to management and he was let to eventually after refusing to deal with it.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:21 AM   #20
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bully them mercilessly.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote