Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #561
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
They've been involved in this discussion every time this type of concept has been brought up as a founding member. This is like the third go round of this idea in the last several years. They were just lucky this time to not be on a press release so they could pivot after the fact publicly.
The optimist in me likes to think that they see the harm and flaws in this plan and they’ve changed their minds, but the almighty dollar trumps everything
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:27 AM   #562
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this thing flops, watching these clubs trying to explain away their actions to their fans and beg to rejoin the Prem, Liga, Serie A etc, will be absolutely deliciously awkward to watch.

Club Chairmen: We tried to circumvent rules and squeeze even more money out of these storied clubs, sponsors and TV rights to support our fat owners, but that didn't work. We humbly ask that you continue supporting us while we find new ways to create another breakaway league and #### you over, yet again.

Last edited by CroFlames; 04-19-2021 at 11:29 AM.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #563
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The UK government is going to jump on this from a great height, its great politics, so expect the UK clubs to be told they wont be able to bring in foreign players, that should make it a bit interesting
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #564
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's a bleak day when you have to hope that Boris frigging Johnson saves the day.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:42 AM   #565
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m probably in the minority, but I do like the idea of the super league. To be honest most non super league teams almost serve currently as feeder teams for the elite already. I guess with the exception of PSG, Bayern Munich and Dortmund (and all three are on the invitation list). All this talk of the rich getting richer. Doesn’t this already happen? The top teams always poach talent from the mid tier and lower tier teams.

This just looks more like the American leagues with an even-ish playing field. This will lead to more eyes too, in the long run. I get the traditionalist approach and the puritans viewpoint. I think this is refreshing. This is just putting a new twist on what the state of the sport is already.

Yes I get it that currently there are teams like Arsenal and Spurs languishing in the middle tables, but they do have the pockets to compete with the other teams in the super league. This probably gets them to compete as well with their pockets. This is not an anti-premier league move. This just stands up against the Champions League.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #566
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
This just looks more like the American leagues with an even-ish playing field.
see, this Americanisation of European football is exactly the problem. These American owners don't understand why there are things like promotion and relegation, and they don't understand why big clubs have to qualify for international tournaments. They think it's their god-given right to be in there, no matter what. That's just not how European football works and nobody over here wants to change that. European football is just not a franchise-driven league system like in the US and it should never ever be like that.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #567
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
see, this Americanisation of European football is exactly the problem. These American owners don't understand why there are things like promotion and relegation, and they don't understand why big clubs have to qualify for international tournaments. They think it's their god-given right to be in there, no matter what. That's just not how European football works and nobody over here wants that.
But does this impact the local leagues? My understanding is that the teams still plan to be in the premier league, Serie A, and La Liga. This is more like an invitational tournament that stands up against the champions league.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #568
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can allow rich owners to get in like they did for Man City, and take the team from mid tier to champions by dumping ungodly amounts, then is this really much different?
Old 04-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #569
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But does this impact the local leagues? My understanding is that the teams still plan to be in the premier league, Serie A, and La Liga. This is more like an invitational tournament that stands up against the champions league.
my personal opinion is that those clubs can go pound sand and should be forced to leave their national leagues. Let them have their super-exclusive crap league, but throw them out of all other competitions. The ESL would probably thrive in the beginning, but I imagine it'll wear off very quickly. Those CL knockout games are special because they are rare. If you have those games every week, I imagine they'll go stale after a while.

it'd be a chance for national leagues though, I think. Throw out those greedy ####ers and sell your own league as the one where the fans still matter and money hasn't completely swallowed up every brain cell. Sure, you lose the big guns but I imagine they could still do well. Heck, I'd be a lot more interested in that than the ESL.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #570
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1384203866627997699

and I support that too.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #571
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those founding clubs have already exited the European Club Association (ECA) effectively removing themselves from UEFA, and thereby FIFA.

This wouldn't just be a replacement for the Champions League, even if they are marketing it like that.

This will be an exclusive league franchise model like north American sports.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #572
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Proof is in the pudding. We can sit here and act altruistic and that we'd snub our noses up at the Super League, but on opening weekend 2023 when the choices are between watching Man United and Barcelona, or watching West Brom and Middlesbrough, we know how that ends. So do the leagues, which is why they won't even consider expelling the money making clubs. It's on the fans to prove they can seriously walk away. Given that over the years they've continuously shown up after every single money making move by the clubs, I'm not all that confident the current bluster will amount to more than a fork in the road.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #573
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I get it that currently there are teams like Arsenal and Spurs languishing in the middle tables, but they do have the pockets to compete with the other teams in the super league. This probably gets them to compete as well with their pockets. This is not an anti-premier league move. This just stands up against the Champions League.
Why though? There's no risk to them not making the "Super League" the next season and they're still not going to compete with the big boys so from a profitability perspective would it not make sense for at least some of these teams to take a Pittsburgh Pirates approach to the whole thing (i.e. spend less to make more)?
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #574
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Proof is in the pudding. We can sit here and act altruistic and that we'd snub our noses up at the Super League, but on opening weekend 2023 when the choices are between watching Man United and Barcelona, or watching West Brom and Middlesbrough, we know how that ends. So do the leagues, which is why they won't even consider expelling the money making clubs. It's on the fans to prove they can seriously walk away. Given that over the years they've continuously shown up after every single money making move by the clubs, I'm not all that confident the current bluster will amount to more than a fork in the road.
If these mega clubs play each other every week, it loses its appeal.

Are you getting pumped for a mid-week February matchup between Mathews and Leafs vs Crosby and the Pens? We probably get bored of big club vs big club as much as West Brom v Middlesbrough.

The prospect of big upsets in both domestic and European competitions is a lot more fun IMO.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #575
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I consider myself to be an average soccer fan. Don’t follow it religiously, but do tune in for a decent chunk of Arsenal games. In a situation like this I’ll watch every game, since the competition will be strong.

I honestly get the anger and vitriol being thrown against the teams. I have bigger problems with poaching than this. Even if the teams are in the same league, they are not at a level playing field. If a mid tier team has a Cinderella run, there is a good chance they lose their top players the next transfer window. That has always been the nature of the sport. In this way, atleast most games are competitive. (being an Arsenal fan, I do understand that we make it “competitive” against teams of all levels unfortunately)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #576
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Are you getting pumped for a mid-week February matchup between Mathews and Leafs vs Crosby and the Pens? We probably get bored of big club vs big club as much as West Brom v Middlesbrough.

The prospect of big upsets in both domestic and European competitions is a lot more fun IMO.
More so than watching the Stockton Heat and the San Diego Gulls. Now i know the levels are much different, and there is so much talent in soccer.

Edit: Maybe not the best comparison. More so a team from the NHL vs a team is the Swedish League, as opposed to 2 NHL teams.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #577
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Devo hit it on the head. Playing in Europe should be an adventure, not a constant.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #578
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Expanding my thoughts.

I don't think the problem is domestic leagues and their traditional bases, it's the Champions league is too large and the Europa league is larger. This leads to teams skipping league cups and fa cups. The 4th place English team should not be playing in Europe at all let alone 6 teams in a 16 team super league. Playing in Europe should be an adventure, not a constant.

I miss the Cup Winners Cup.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #579
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

But this is again where you have to eliminate your thoughts as an individual and anticipate the thoughts of the collective. Fans, and not just in football but in all sports, have shown time and again they will eat #### from teams and leagues and keep on watching. I'm just saying I remain totally skeptical fans will shun the Super League and prop up the domestic leagues. I know people keep wanting to believe sports can stay more sports than entertainment, but I really feel that ship has sailed. But we'll see I guess.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #580
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Expanding my thoughts.

I don't think the problem is domestic leagues and their traditional bases, it's the Champions league is too large and the Europa league is larger. This leads to teams skipping league cups and fa cups. The 4th place English team should not be playing in Europe at all let alone 6 teams in a 16 team super league. Playing in Europe should be an adventure, not a constant.

I miss the Cup Winners Cup.
plus they've already set up a third European cup, named the Europa Conference League.

Quote:
It will be the third tier of European club football, after the Champions League and the Europa League. The competition is scheduled to run from the 2021–22 season, and will serve as the bottom level of the existing UEFA Europa League competition, which is due to be reduced from 48 to 32 teams in the group stage. The competition will primarily be contested by teams from lower-ranked UEFA member associations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_E...ference_League

plus the planned CL expansion. It's been way too bloated already and it's been getting worse and worse.