Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2020, 12:23 AM   #2501
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Looking at replacing the light fixture in our entry, which is open up to the second story. So a ladder doesn't seem like a feasible option (it would be very long) so I'm thinking renting scaffolding from Home Depot or similar? Changing out a fixture is simple, it's the height that complicates it. My other alternative is to hire an electrician/installer to come do it. Any CP'ers dome this recently, or any electricians out there? Just wondering what a ball park cost to have someone come in and do it would be.
Scaffold rentals are like $30 a day or $132 per week from Home Depot per this:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/too...-12.11071.html

Electricians probably just charge hourly rate. Unless it's some ungodly thing to install, I can't imagine you needing to pay more than 2-3 hours worth of labour (at rates ranging from $35-55 an hour or whatever they're charging these days) plus cost of rental and materials.

I wonder if you can just call around explain the situation (ie: Not an older/injured electrician who doesn't want to climb) then rent and set up the scaffold yourself the day before/day of the appointment date? You could even do the basics of disassembling and pulling down any components to try and save an extra 30-45 minutes if it's a little more complicated.

Deduced ballpark:
- $60 scaffold rental
- $100-200 electrician and assuming you're not paying them to help set up scaffold
- And then cost of materials, replacement light, stuff to transport of scaffold (if required)
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:13 AM   #2502
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Nooooooooooo thank you. Much prefer the older ones.
Stupid question, but is there an actual market for those old 80s furnaces, or are you just a lone odd ball clinging on to the one you have like it's life or death?

My understanding is that those 1980s furnaces are like 60% efficient and newer high efficiency furnaces are like 90%+ or around 50% efficiencies in fuel costs plus more bells and whistles, so I don't get why anyone would prefer to stay with the old style other than upfront cost.

But I have met a few individuals who like you who actually appreciate the 1980s types units and will swap to a newer style only if it's impossible to get an older unit.

I have two of these things in my new home. If someone was crazy enough to make it worth my while by chipping in a few hundred bucks, helping to speed up the removal (thus lowering an install cost) and hauling the damn thing away of their own accord, I would be dumb not to consider it. The scenario is obviously completely unlikely IMO. The utility room is super toasty when both furnaces are on heating the upper floors. This is super different than the HE unit I have in the townhouse I currently live in.

https://www.furnaceprices.ca/region/...naces-calgary/

This says HE furnaces are around $3-6K each (Let's say $5K to be conservative). But I'd probably opt to do a single higher end unit that can do 3 independent zones, output enough for whole home as 2 furnaces and takes up less utility room real estate.

I just blew $40K to get the home ready it for moving in (So much freaking chemical smell!) so I was expecting to stretch any additional work as long as I can and eating the extra couple hundred per month on heating bills.

Another stupid question. If two projects are on the table for a similar price and of the two you can only do one, which makes sense to do first? Furnace replacement, or windows replacement? Both offer efficiencies and utilities savings after they are completed, but does one offer more? Or are they both essentially equal? (Windows do offer an additional aesthetic offerings if done first though which is my thoughts).

Last edited by DoubleF; 02-01-2020 at 01:16 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #2503
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simple question - I have some pigeons that are using the space under my balcony to hang out. What is that anti-bird / anti-squirrel spiky strip you put down called?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #2504
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Stupid question, but is there an actual market for those old 80s furnaces, or are you just a lone odd ball clinging on to the one you have like it's life or death?

My understanding is that those 1980s furnaces are like 60% efficient and newer high efficiency furnaces are like 90%+ or around 50% efficiencies in fuel costs plus more bells and whistles, so I don't get why anyone would prefer to stay with the old style other than upfront cost.

But I have met a few individuals who like you who actually appreciate the 1980s types units and will swap to a newer style only if it's impossible to get an older unit.

I have two of these things in my new home. If someone was crazy enough to make it worth my while by chipping in a few hundred bucks, helping to speed up the removal (thus lowering an install cost) and hauling the damn thing away of their own accord, I would be dumb not to consider it. The scenario is obviously completely unlikely IMO. The utility room is super toasty when both furnaces are on heating the upper floors. This is super different than the HE unit I have in the townhouse I currently live in.

https://www.furnaceprices.ca/region/...naces-calgary/

This says HE furnaces are around $3-6K each (Let's say $5K to be conservative). But I'd probably opt to do a single higher end unit that can do 3 independent zones, output enough for whole home as 2 furnaces and takes up less utility room real estate.

I just blew $40K to get the home ready it for moving in (So much freaking chemical smell!) so I was expecting to stretch any additional work as long as I can and eating the extra couple hundred per month on heating bills.

Another stupid question. If two projects are on the table for a similar price and of the two you can only do one, which makes sense to do first? Furnace replacement, or windows replacement? Both offer efficiencies and utilities savings after they are completed, but does one offer more? Or are they both essentially equal? (Windows do offer an additional aesthetic offerings if done first though which is my thoughts).
I would always suggest windows or insulation before furnace. Anything you can do to keep conditioned air inside should reduce your overall energy usage.

When there were government rebates for furnace replacement, it made a bit more sense... but now that there isn't anything in that department, it's basically a large capital expense to reduce your operating expenses... The payout period is quite far down the road (if at all).

It's very anecdotal but newer furnaces do have much better design/features, but with every feature comes somewhat of an increased risk of failure. It seems like all of the furnace failures that any coworkers had in my office over the -30 stretch all had high efficiency furnaces, haha.
Ahuch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahuch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #2505
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Older furnaces theoretically last a long time until they die without many issues, whereas the newer ones don't. I'm riding mine as long as it'll go. "They don't make em like they used to" is true here.

Capital expenses for a furnace will take a long time to return. You'll never cover window replacement. You can reduce your energy usage, but the majority of your bill is admin and delivery fees.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #2506
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormius View Post
simple question - i have some pigeons that are using the space under my balcony to hang out. What is that anti-bird / anti-squirrel spiky strip you put down called?
c4.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #2507
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Older furnaces theoretically last a long time until they die without many issues, whereas the newer ones don't. I'm riding mine as long as it'll go. "They don't make em like they used to" is true here.

Capital expenses for a furnace will take a long time to return. You'll never cover window replacement. You can reduce your energy usage, but the majority of your bill is admin and delivery fees.
Isn't that survivorship bias?

Quote:
Survivorship bias or survival bias is the logical error of concentrating on the people or things that made it past some selection process and overlooking those that did not, typically because of their lack of visibility. This can lead to false conclusions in several different ways. It is a form of selection bias.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #2508
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a high efficient that is approx 15 yrs old. I've lived in the house for 10 yrs and not one has gone by where I haven't had to mess around with something. Intake issues with snow, blower motor filling with water, condensation drain plugging, rebuilt the whole drainage system, circuit board replaced.

My old mid efficient ran way better and i've never had an issue with an older furnace.

Some of my issues shouldn't affect a newer installation, there's better vents now. but honestly the more fancy these things get the more there is to go wrong and they are very sensitive.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #2509
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone here good with plumbing? Need to raise a closet flange, was never raised after tile was added to the bathroom...

Trying to figure out the best option here.
Ahuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #2510
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not a plumber but I believe you can buy a flange extender to make up the space. A simple bolt on if you are doing it yourself.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2020, 11:23 PM   #2511
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Simple question - I have some pigeons that are using the space under my balcony to hang out. What is that anti-bird / anti-squirrel spiky strip you put down called?
Use lattice?

Otherwise they're literally called bird spikes
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #2512
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looking for a recommendation on a carpet/flooring place to go to. I had a tenant move out of my basement this past weekend, and the carpet has been annihilated and is essentially not fixable with patching.

I've gone to End of the Roll, and have received a quote from them. But would like to receive a couple other quotes to compare.

Anyone have experience with End of the Roll? have a good experience? or anyone recommend another shop?
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #2513
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
Looking for a recommendation on a carpet/flooring place to go to. I had a tenant move out of my basement this past weekend, and the carpet has been annihilated and is essentially not fixable with patching.

I've gone to End of the Roll, and have received a quote from them. But would like to receive a couple other quotes to compare.

Anyone have experience with End of the Roll? have a good experience? or anyone recommend another shop?
I've used them and they're fine. I've also gotten floors (incl carpet) through Divine. Both were fine to deal with, I'd say End of the Roll is a bit more of a volume operation, and Divine is a bit more "tailored" experience (aka likely you pay for that).

At the end of the day, with any shop it is going to all come down to the price/selection, and more importantly the installer crew you get, and theres no real way to know ahead of time on that one really. Installs are generally all just contracted out to subs
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #2514
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Haha, could easily be an odd ball but I do like my older furnaces. Main reason? There is no computer, no control board, no dedicated air intakes and like 2 moving parts. They are incredibly reliable and inexpensive to fix. Replacing the blower motor cost me $150 and maybe 20 minutes of time.

The older furnaces are indeed less efficient than newer ones but I think it would take quite a number of years for the higher efficiency furnace to finally start paying for itself.

As for your 2nd question, hands down, replace the windows first. Same issue with recovering investment money as a furnace but on top of being more efficient with heat loss, odds are good they are better at repelling water too. Great time to also check the frame of the windows are well insulated with low expansion foam. And yes, curb value may increase as well.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #2515
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anyone have a recommendation for a retaining wall guy? Like a decorative one with landscape rocks/bolders.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #2516
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have any local experience/recommendation on floor to ceiling room dividers?

I'm Looking to split a spare room into a dual purpose clothing room/office, and I'm thinking something along these lines.

Don't really want the thickness of a full wall, nor do I want it to span the entire room. I'm basically trying to hit the sweet spot between an Japanese style wardrobe divider and a full wall.

I've seen similar dividers in office spaces, but wondering if anyone's done something like this in there home and what the cost were.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #2517
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Anyone have any local experience/recommendation on floor to ceiling room dividers?

I'm Looking to split a spare room into a dual purpose clothing room/office, and I'm thinking something along these lines.

Don't really want the thickness of a full wall, nor do I want it to span the entire room. I'm basically trying to hit the sweet spot between an Japanese style wardrobe divider and a full wall.

I've seen similar dividers in office spaces, but wondering if anyone's done something like this in there home and what the cost were.

What kind of dimensions are you thinking?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:49 AM   #2518
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
What kind of dimensions are you thinking?
It’s about 94” ceiling to floor, I’m looking to come about 56” out from the wall.

Thinking about dusting off your travel tools I hope?
Old 02-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #2519
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post

jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #2520
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
I can confidently say those girls are much, much handier with tools and lumber than I am.

My craftsman skills are closer to Homer Simpson's.