Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #61
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
This thread has really perked my interest, I think I might pick up one of the older ones the next time there is a steam sale and see if I like it. Normally 3rd person games like this are awkward enough for me , in terms of controls, that it really detracts from the game play.
I feel the exact same way about 1st person games. Just rattles me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
Oh yeah, Supply line
Took over 30 tries to get that one. Then I discovered the fuel efficiency gained by using the RC plane as a ground vehicle. Made the mission much easier (assuming it doesn't get run over by other cars)
Yep that was the trick to beating it, thanks for reminding me. I'm replaying the game a bit and am in SF, I purposely avoided the Zero missions specificially because of that.

If I gain access to a flux capacitor I will use it to go back to 2004 and warn myself that the Zero missions are in fact optional, did not realize that at the time. That would probably add years back onto my life. That and I'd steal some of my extra hair, my flow was glorious back then.

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-04-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #62
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Then get the first person mod.
That seems like a perfect solution. Does it impact game play at all? make certain sections harder since your field of view is different?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #63
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
That seems like a perfect solution. Does it impact game play at all? make certain sections harder since your field of view is different?
Well, you just press the normal change view button that normally cycles closer or farther from your character and it goes out to third person. The first person mod just replaces the closest in view with a first person view.

Same thing happens when you drive. The view that is normally over the top of the hood is replaced by a first person inside the car view.

You can just press the change view button as normally to zoom back out to 3rd if you want at will which is what I do. I usually use first person to drive and explore but if I am doing missions that are easier in 3rd or fighting, I will goto 3rd (though you can still fight in first person, sometimes the arms are a big buggy because the camera is so close).

See the video that I posted, I cycle in and out once or twice. It just adds a view Rockstar (and indeed every game) should have included in the first place. Every 3rd person game we are playing could have a first person view if the developers had added a camera mode that is set from the perspective of the eyes of your character but they don't.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #64
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Some of the zero missions are actually pretty cool, the first one with the minigun on the roof, and the last one which is a wargame using a RC helicopter were actually a lot of fun, and you do generate a bunch of money on it.

I can only think of three missions that just frustrated the crap out of me in that game.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #65
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any flying mission in any of the GTA games is just ever so slightly more enjoyable than driving an icepick through your testicles. Hate the controls and the camera angles.

EDIT: The only good thing about the flying missions in San Andreas was the fact that James Woods was the voice behind the madness.

EDIT2: Also, anyone else notice that one fella running with a white tanktop in the trailer looks an awful lot like CJ?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #66
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

That god damn Supply Line mission easily had to have taken me a couple hours to pass. By far the hardest mission of all time.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #67
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We need to stop discussing Supply Lines, you'll bring back horrible nightmares. Fack those Zero missions were tough.

SA and Vice City had really good voices (james woods, liotta, cross, etc.) hopefully GTA V gets some celeb voices.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #68
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I am the same.

I will play GTA games for a week and then by that time I am already pretty much bored, the only one that really caught my attention for a long period of time was San Andreas

I am going to try a few more hours of GTA4 but doubt I will last that long. I also have SA kicking around, maybe I will try that. But Oblivion, Fallout and stuff like that? I can complete every mission.

I buy/get way too many games and only play a handfull. I just booted up my PS2 to start Kingdom Hearts, which was given to me maybe a month after release (9 years ago!).
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #69
KTown
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've played all the GTAs and love them. I never did finish GTA San Andreas though, I lost my saved games some how when I was in the Vegas portion and I never finished it. I was so pissed at that point that I didn't feel like starting over. I am tempted to start it over again just to actually finish it.
KTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #70
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw this on the Saints board, I laughed.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #71
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I am going to try a few more hours of GTA4 but doubt I will last that long. I also have SA kicking around, maybe I will try that. But Oblivion, Fallout and stuff like that? I can complete every mission.

I buy/get way too many games and only play a handfull. I just booted up my PS2 to start Kingdom Hearts, which was given to me maybe a month after release (9 years ago!).
Kingdom Hearts was a surprising good game. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #72
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

GTA IV is the ultimate for me, I love the NYC settings. I can still put that game in, pick up a fast car and just fly around the city causing havoc. That said, the first GTA is still so nostalgic. It's amazing how far this series has come.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #73
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Any flying mission in any of the GTA games is just ever so slightly more enjoyable than driving an icepick through your testicles. Hate the controls and the camera angles.
Just doing the Toreno missions right meow, I'm shocked how quickly I've beaten all the flying ones so far. Beat "Learning to Fly" and "N.O.E." in the first 2-3 tries, I remember wanting to pull my hair out the first time around, in '04. Actually I think both those missions made me seriously question if I'd ever even beat the game back then.

I guess I'm becoming a better gamer in my old age. Either that or I just completely fluked out. I'll choose to go with the former..
Old 11-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #74
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

To piggy back on oilers_fan's comment, the only thing concerning me is that I didn't really like San Andreas as a map. Great game, but I just couldn't ever learn the map like I could with the other games. Once they get past a certain point in size I need to rely on the map a lot more.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #75
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Just doing the Toreno missions right meow, I'm shocked how quickly I've beaten all the flying ones so far. Beat "Learning to Fly" and "N.O.E." in the first 2-3 tries, I remember wanting to pull my hair out the first time around, in '04. Actually I think both those missions made me seriously question if I'd ever even beat the game back then.

I guess I'm becoming a better gamer in my old age. Either that or I just completely fluked out. I'll choose to go with the former..
I came up with a brand new vernacular doing those missions. When I finally beat them it felt like I just passed a kidney stone.

Any time there is a flying mission in these games I cringe.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #76
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The only learning to fly mission that I struggled with was the last helicopter one that you had to destroy all the semi's then mow down the cars and land in like 90 seconds.

The supply runner one was tough just because of the need to stay at tree level, I damaged my wing the first time and the wobble made me claw for air, and k-pow.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #77
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
To piggy back on oilers_fan's comment, the only thing concerning me is that I didn't really like San Andreas as a map. Great game, but I just couldn't ever learn the map like I could with the other games. Once they get past a certain point in size I need to rely on the map a lot more.
I'm the opposite. I loved the San Andreas map, I play it now and still know it like my own neighborhood. I never learnt GTA IVs map very well because it was all the same, not much variety in the environment. In SA there were so many memorable places and landmarks, everywhere had something different about it. A game with SAs depth and craziness with IVs beauty and feel Rockstar will have something incredible in their hands
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #78
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just reading the above post, haha man I'm bad at maps. There were definitely areas in the game I had memorized, especially around Grove Street. But no way in HELL did I have even a quarter of the S.A. map memorized, or any game I've ever played for that matter.

GPS was made for me.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #79
SoCalFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So great this is set in LA. I remember getting Deja Vu all the time when I first moved to LA - when in reality I was just recognizing something that I'd driven by a thousand times in SA! New trailer has clips of Santa Monica.... I'm gonna drive a car right into my house.... Haha

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.031061,-118.492901
SoCalFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #80
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFlamesFan View Post
So great this is set in LA. I remember getting Deja Vu all the time when I first moved to LA - when in reality I was just recognizing something that I'd driven by a thousand times in SA! New trailer has clips of Santa Monica.... I'm gonna drive a car right into my house.... Haha

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.031061,-118.492901
Lucky bas! You just wait until they make GTA Cowtown, then who will have the last laugh? Huh?...yeah, that's what I thought.
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote