Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best player from the following list
Robyn Regehr 153 78.87%
TJ Brodie 2 1.03%
Jamie Macoun 3 1.55%
Paul Reinhart 15 7.73%
Dennis Gauthier 1 0.52%
Cory Sarich 0 0%
Dion Phaneuf 4 2.06%
Steve Konroyd 0 0%
Derek Morris 0 0%
Tommy Albelin 0 0%
Frank Musil 0 0%
Phil Housley 4 2.06%
Toni Lydman 0 0%
Jay Bouwmeester 0 0%
Dougie Hamilton 1 0.52%
Jordan Leopold 0 0%
Rhett Warrener 0 0%
Brad McCrimmon 10 5.15%
Phil Russell 0 0%
Ric Nattress 0 0%
Andrew Ference 0 0%
Neil Sheehy 0 0%
James Patrick 0 0%
Paul Baxter 0 0%
Dana Murzyn 1 0.52%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2020, 10:36 PM   #21
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Before my time, but McCrimmon was a Norris runner-up while donning the Flaming C... which is hugely impressive considering that he was on a team with McInnis, Suter, and Reinhart. He is being criminally underrated in this thread.

Housley was quite good in his two stints. Certainly was a breathe of fresh air in the Young Guns era.

There's also Reinhart and Macoun.

Regehr was good, but at least two of those guys were a level above him.
McCrimmon was a hell of a player, he will be discussed at length starting tomorrow I'm sure. he finished 4th (Suter ahead of him) and 6th (MacInnis ahead of him, Suter right behind- 3 of the top 7 D!) in Norris voting in two of his three years here, never 2nd I don't think

On the other hand Regehr played I would guess about 3.5 times as many games in the Flaming C as Sarge

its one of the tricky things about this exercise- even if we all agree we are focusing only on Flames tenure, how to compare quantity versus quality
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:26 PM   #22
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
McCrimmon was a hell of a player, he will be discussed at length starting tomorrow I'm sure. he finished 4th (Suter ahead of him) and 6th (MacInnis ahead of him, Suter right behind- 3 of the top 7 D!) in Norris voting in two of his three years here, never 2nd I don't think

On the other hand Regehr played I would guess about 3.5 times as many games in the Flaming C as Sarge

its one of the tricky things about this exercise- even if we all agree we are focusing only on Flames tenure, how to compare quantity versus quality
I misread. 2nd team AST in 87-88 is still incredibly impressive though. Getting more votes than Chelios, Coffey, Howe, etc. in their prime is nothing to scoff at. It's also crazy how close the voting was between him and Suter for Norris and AST that year.

And then he follows it up in 88-89 getting almost as many first team AST votes as McInnis.

If we're looking at an all-time roster, McCrimmon being legitimately considered one of the best defensemen in the league while wearing the Flaming C should handily beat longevity of someone that was just good for a long time (not to take anything away from Regehr).
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #23
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I’d blame Brent Sutter. At the start of that season the Flames looked to have three defencemen penciled into Team Canada. By the time selection came around only JBo was picked as a reserve and that was more based on past experience than current play.
There was a behind the scenes clip shown somewhere (I’ve been searching endlessly) where he speaks up in a room full of Bouw supporters and says they gotta take Seabrook for the Keith pairing. I recall Yzerman saying “it’s gotta be Bouw”.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #24
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

This one came down to Brad McCrimmon or Paul Reinhart, for me, as I'm voting based on per-season contribution during time with the Flames and not cumulative tenure given it's a "best" team.

In the end I went with Sarge but can't go wrong with either of them in the #4 spot. Definitely wouldn't have this ahead of both of them on a best player team.

Spoiler!

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 07-02-2020 at 12:39 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #25
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

The majority is wrong on this one. McCrimmon > Regehr
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post: