Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #101
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
That was the plan originally but it just doesn't make any sense as far as TV goes.

Say the Jets/Flames would be a primetime match up for SN, for a 7PM game in Calgary and 8 in Winnipeg, that game wouldn't start for the players until 9 PM. Not ideal for them I wouldn't think.

There really isnt any home team advantage as all teams will be in the bubble and with 0 fans in the stands, i just cant see where it would favor anyone other than familiarity with dressing rooms or something....which matters little.
I would tend to agree, but for whatever reason it sure sounded like some teams or officials were concerned about this early on. I could see there possibly being an advantage in knowing the so-called "home-ice bounces" that are very slightly different from one building to the next, but I certainly don't think these could potentially make any difference in a multi-game series.

But it bears repeating: BOTH locations are GOOD NEWS for the Flames—they own those towns: 3–1–1 in their last five in Edmonton and 2–0–1 in their last three visits to Toronto dating back to the beginning of 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2020, 05:06 PM   #102
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
That was the plan originally but it just doesn't make any sense as far as TV goes.

Say the Jets/Flames would be a primetime match up for SN, for a 7PM game in Calgary and 8 in Winnipeg, that game wouldn't start for the players until 9 PM. Not ideal for them I wouldn't think.

There really isnt any home team advantage as all teams will be in the bubble and with 0 fans in the stands, i just cant see where it would favor anyone other than familiarity with dressing rooms or something....which matters little.
They know all the board bounces, soft spots where rebounds happen. I know its a minor thing but it would give Edmonton an unfair advantage if its supposed to be neutral ground.

So I can see why having western teams in the east makes sense.

Last edited by Otto-matic; 07-01-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #103
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
They know all the board bounces, soft spots where rebounds happen. I know its a minor thing but it would give Edmonton an unfair advantage if its supposed to be neutral ground.

So I can see why having western teams in the east makes sense.
I really don't see it as an extreme advantage, they were only 500 at home this season.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #104
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't care about the ice as much but being able to use all of a home team's equipment and rooms is a major advantage. If they have to use a normal visitor's room then it makes sense as Johnston says in the piece above.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #105
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also think it is an unfair comfort advantage if a team is playing on home ice. It is their building, it will still feel like an advantage mentally for them. Time zones don't matter at all as fans won't be attending.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #106
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Very true, I believe he lives in Roger's Place.

I was referencing another thread where I was told very matter of factly that Shannon gave his stamp to the news that Toronto & Vegas were definitely the confirmed hubs.

So really this was for my own amusement. I'm petty in many ways.
He shares a double bed with Gene that they roll in next to McDavid’s locker at the end of the day.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:13 AM   #107
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Edmonton was ass at home this season. I'm not even sure if there's an advantage. It probably makes a choke job even more likely.

Flames on the other hand have been good in their tin can.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:21 AM   #108
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
The NHL should just scrap the 2020 season. Player, and staff health and safety should take precedence over playing a game.
Thank you for helping fulfill the daily quota of "just shut it down!" posts. I was afraid we were going to have a shortage.

I am sure the league will take that into serious consideration, I mean despite having already directed all played to their club cities for camps.

A few more shut it downs and they will surely fold!
Old 07-02-2020, 05:03 AM   #109
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just think of the meme possibilities of the first Stanley Cup Finals game in Toronto in 53 years, and played without the Leafs in it.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #110
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1278684958295539712
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #111
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1278734107330125830
Old 07-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #112
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmontonians can now plan the parade!
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #113
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The perfect 2020 outcome would be for the Flames to win the Stanley Cup as the home team at Rogers Place and to celebrate in the Oilers' dressing room.

Remember Lucic saying that he always looks for the champagne stains on the ceiling of the visitors' room in Vancouver? Imagine going to play in Edmonton knowing that they have to look up every day and see the champagne stains from the Flames' celebration in their own room.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #114
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The perfect 2020 outcome would be for the Flames to win the Stanley Cup as the home team at Rogers Place and to celebrate in the Oilers' dressing room.

Remember Lucic saying that he always looks for the champagne stains on the ceiling of the visitors' room in Vancouver? Imagine going to play in Edmonton knowing that they have to look up every day and see the champagne stains from the Flames' celebration in their own room.
There would be so much salt that all the glaciers in Jasper would melt.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #115
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I imagine they'll replace the Leaf and Oiler logos at center ice with the NHL logo, or something of the like.

I'd say there absolutely is extra motivation in this tourney for the chance to play deep on Edmonton turf and celly stain their room.

Think of them going through their ineptness for years to come with the haunting realization that the only cup awarded in their building was to their rivals. Ultimate bad juju.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #116
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Would be reminiscent of the 2018 Grey Cup:

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #117
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fully expect Lowe would find and hire some Covid positive cases from HF to infect the Oilers room if the Flames made the Cup Finals, meaning the Flames would have to use another room before he’d let the Flames in.

In fact, I can see him saying that no teams use the Oilers actual room for the entire playoffs.

Regardless, there will be a banner of some variety hung up beside the Garth Brooks one I assume, for this responsibility and “honor” the league has given the Oilers and city of Edmonton.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #118
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Well chalk up another banner for Roger's place. Pandemic Hub City. Hopefully the Flames can raise their 2020 Stanley Cup Champions one there too.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #119
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Objectively speaking, Edmonton is a good choice considering the facilities and the province's management of the pandemic.

I suppose Toronto is the best of a bad bunch out of cities able to host, but it's not ideal.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #120
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm pretty happy Edmonton was chosen. It's good for the province.