Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Pick the best player from the following list
Kent Nilsson 47 27.49%
Hakan Loob 78 45.61%
Martin Gelinas 3 1.75%
Mike Cammalleri 4 2.34%
Colin Patterson 0 0%
Mikael Backlund 5 2.92%
Craig Conroy 2 1.17%
Elias Lindholm 11 6.43%
Kristian Huselius 2 1.17%
Sergei Makarov 10 5.85%
Micheal Ferland 1 0.58%
Daymond Langkow 3 1.75%
Stephane Yelle 0 0%
Curtis Glencross 0 0%
Dave Lowry 0 0%
Willi Plett 2 1.17%
Brian McGrattan 2 1.17%
Marc Savard 0 0%
Dean McAmmond 0 0%
Val Bure 1 0.58%
Robert Reichel 0 0%
Cory Stillman 0 0%
Paul Ranheim 0 0%
Eric Vail 0 0%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #21
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a feeling that 42 will be Nilsson's lucky number

Old 06-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #22
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
I would love to do this again where, rather than pick "the best player," we tried to actually create the best team. We'd get a lot of great discussion and a lot of different guys would end up on the roster. Guys like Hunter would make for great discussion and could have a chance of making it.
I've never really understood this point of view. So the best team is not actually constructed of the best players? People would rather have worse players on their team because teams need a certain "construction to them"? I'm convinced this way of thinking is how teams end up much worse than they could be because "roles".

Say we could clone Crosby - wouldn't you want a team full of Crosbys (Crosbies?) even though he doesn't fit the mold of a 3rd or 4th line guy?

EDIT: This is mostly relevant when teams for the Olympics or World Cup are picked. Just select the best guys and don't worry about what a 3rd line LW "should do"
Old 06-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #23
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

The pool of available players for a Team Canada is so immensely wide and profoundly deep with top talent that yes, it makes sense to simply pick the best players available and slot them in as necessary.

The Calgary Flames' historical talent pool isn't so deep, and had a "dream team" like this been assembled in real life a lot more thought would have to be put into how well the team would mesh. I for one wouldn't have put Lanny on the right wing ahead of Mullen or Loob, hence why I voted for Loob in this poll; I would have anticipated Mullen and Loob were already on the team, and would have voted McDonald for this one. I'm also not sure I'd have had Monahan or Tanguay on the team at all...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #24
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I've never really understood this point of view. So the best team is not actually constructed of the best players? People would rather have worse players on their team because teams need a certain "construction to them"? I'm convinced this way of thinking is how teams end up much worse than they could be because "roles".

Say we could clone Crosby - wouldn't you want a team full of Crosbys (Crosbies?) even though he doesn't fit the mold of a 3rd or 4th line guy?

EDIT: This is mostly relevant when teams for the Olympics or World Cup are picked. Just select the best guys and don't worry about what a 3rd line LW "should do"
I agree with this.

It’s like when we had guys like Brenden Morrow and Eric Brewer on our Olympic squads.

There was some better options that I personally would have picked.

It worked out in both cases but in other years when we lost there have been some questionable picks.

Even if you have 4 scoring lines, some of those guys are going to be bigger, stronger, more grinder like players ala Iggy, Perry etc.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #25
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
The pool of available players for a Team Canada is so immensely wide and profoundly deep with top talent that yes, it makes sense to simply pick the best players available and slot them in as necessary.

The Calgary Flames' historical talent pool isn't so deep, and had a "dream team" like this been assembled in real life a lot more thought would have to be put into how well the team would mesh. I for one wouldn't have put Lanny on the right wing ahead of Mullen or Loob, hence why I voted for Loob in this poll; I would have anticipated Mullen and Loob were already on the team, and would have voted McDonald for this one. I'm also not sure I'd have had Monahan or Tanguay on the team at all...
Loob and Mullen are awesome but Lanny was legendary. Are you thinking of the Lanny in ‘89 ? Take a look at his 66 goal season
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #26
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mike Cammellari
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote