Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2023, 09:23 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Rangers 5 Flames 4 (OT)

Rangers 5 Flames 4 (OT)

- Flames come from behind in the third to take the lead before heading to overtime and losing.
- Markstrom forced to make too many high danger saves, but gives up 5 vs 3.5 expected
- Take the point
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:38 PM   #2
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andrew Mangiapane put his blade right into the path of the puck with his foot moving and it’s good.
Blake Coleman is accused of a kicking motion when his other skate was in the air in last year’s playoffs and it wasn’t good.”

The thing is that the Coleman goal falls outside even the frustrating variability of these calls. I don’t think one can find a single other example where that goal wasn’t considered good
There’s the confusion between what should count and not but that call remains a baffling outlier even outside that
Just a brutal series impacting call
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 09:39 PM   #3
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Markstrom had expected goals against of 3.52. I wonder how they scored some of those since some of the Ranger goals would have expected goal of about 0.99 IMO.

Happy the stats showed Mangiapane had a good game, I liked him tonight.

Appropriate that Huberdeau wasn’t on either your best or worst lists for advanced stats. Since he was utterly invisible and a total non factor.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 09:51 PM   #4
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

Andrew Mangiapane put his blade right into the path of the puck with his foot moving and it’s good.
Blake Coleman is accused of a kicking motion when his other skate was in the air in last year’s playoffs and it wasn’t good.”

The thing is that the Coleman goal falls outside even the frustrating variability of these calls. I don’t think one can find a single other example where that goal wasn’t considered good
There’s the confusion between what should count and not but that call remains a baffling outlier even outside that

Yeah I was thinking about that. I actually thought Coleman’s goal was kicked in. Just seemed to me there was intent and motion. My opinion.

Mangiapane’s was WAY more of a kick and it counts though.

That entire rule needs some serious clarity and overhaul in how it’s officiated. There’s just way too much grey area and I don’t think ANYONE (including Toronto) knows how to call it.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:57 PM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its origin was on promoting goalie safety, didn’t want guys kicking at pucks when goalies were trying to save it. You can kick the puck any other time.

Maybe any deflection off a skate in the crease mens no goal. Just not retroactive to 1989.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:03 PM   #6
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Its origin was on promoting goalie safety, didn’t want guys kicking at pucks when goalies were trying to save it. You can kick the puck any other time.

Maybe any deflection off a skate in the crease mens no goal. Just not retroactive to 1989.
That would probably be the clearest way to do it. It would suck when pucks just happen to go off skates due to crease crowding. Then you will have hair splitting about pucks deflecting off or toes, ankles, legs, etc...
Old 02-06-2023, 10:07 PM   #7
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That would probably be the clearest way to do it. It would suck when pucks just happen to go off skates due to crease crowding. Then you will have hair splitting about pucks deflecting off or toes, ankles, legs, etc...
Yes and if you were forced into the crease. Might not be good.

But the current kicking motion doesn’t work anymore.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:14 PM   #8
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

That was in the days of yore though. Goalies had no helmets, a stuffed sweatshirt for a chest protector and obviously no video review.

It’s a tough rule. The only solution I’ve ever been able to think of is any kicking motion or deflection, as long as your skate blade is on the ice should be a good goal. You can’t soccer kick a loose puck in but you can certainly side stop one in.

I’d be interested to see if it created more goalie injuries.

Gotta be a few high level goalies that would chime in here.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:58 PM   #9
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious Bingo, you liked Ruzicka's game but later gave him a "yuck" for being under 25% xGF. I only caught part of the game and didn't notice him myself.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:56 AM   #10
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

That offside call on Andersson late in the 3rd when the Flames were pressing to go back ahead really got me fired up. Offsides plays are generally very close and I think.the linesmen are great at getting them right. That play was not even close to.being offside and it definitely.took away a quality scoring chance where the Flames had numbers.

Great play by 4. One of the worst offsides calls I have seen in a long time
Old 02-07-2023, 06:06 AM   #11
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I can’t figure out Markstrom. I don’t think he played bad, even made some big saves (Hanafin give away for example). Yet it feels like he gave up too much and the Flames could have used more big saves. Was the loss his fault, probably not. Could he have done more to help them win, probably. Just an odd season from him and not sure how much longer they can keep waiting for the results to start coming.
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:22 AM   #12
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskyFlamesFan View Post
I can’t figure out Markstrom. I don’t think he played bad, even made some big saves (Hanafin give away for example). Yet it feels like he gave up too much and the Flames could have used more big saves. Was the loss his fault, probably not. Could he have done more to help them win, probably. Just an odd season from him and not sure how much longer they can keep waiting for the results to start coming.
Markstrom has cleaned up the ugly goals from earlier in the season. The issue with him now is he's not making the timely big saves to keep his team tied or out in front, whereas Vladar is doing that moreso.

I would say the performances/results of the goaltenders this season are reverse of what I would have expected at the start of the season.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 07:05 AM   #13
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Markstrom made enough saves to win last night. He got hung out to dry again by horrible defensive play.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 07:13 AM   #14
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Markstrom has been a massive disappointment this season. Something happened in that Oilers series as he's not been able to get back on track. Also it's also possible he's not receiving the coaching he needs to get out of his funk. I'm not going to blame him for the loss (the team hung him out to dry on several occasions) but the OT goal wasn't the only time he was way out of position in the game. There was another instance in the 3rd where he way overcommitted and left the net wide open and the Flames were fortunate a Ranger could not cash in. He's made himself small all year and you would think someone would be working with him to correct some of these issues yet he's just not improved much over the season. The Grant Fuhr style of letting in a bunch of saveable goals mixed with some timely great saves doesn't work in today's NHL as the games aren't 7-6. It's getting close to time to ride Vladar and see if he can get them into the playoffs.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-07-2023 at 07:15 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 08:13 AM   #15
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was mad at Marky last night, but he gave them a chance to win in Overtime alone and we sucked in front of him.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:13 AM   #16
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

More Markstrom hate when this team would not have even made it to OT without several of his big saves? He wasn't perfect, but he also had little chance on at least 2-3 of the goals and quite honestly made enough big saves despite that too more than make up for it.

For me, the bigger issue is that the teams best player: Huberdeau, was completely invisible in a game where nearly the entire team stepped up and played with serious passion.

For me, his "adjustment" leash has reached its end point and simply needs to start doing something. A timely play by your best player could have easily turned that game into 2 points, in regulation. No longer acceptable and it is killing this team way more than its goaltending or defensive play.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 02-07-2023 at 09:15 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:18 AM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
More Markstrom hate when this team would not have even made it to OT without several of his big saves?

For me, the bigger issue is that the teams best player: Huberdeau, was completely invisible in a game where nearly the entire team stepped up and played with serious passion.

For me, his "adjustment" leash has reached its end point and simply needs to start doing something. A timely play by your best player could have easily turned that game into 2 points, in regulation. No longer acceptable.
I don't think anyone hates Markstrom. It's been acknowledged by everyone that the team had several breakdowns leading to goals. Also it's been acknowledged that Markstrom made some big saves. He's getting paid to lock the door, not just make a handful of really good saves. You can pay any journeyman goaltender to go out every night and put up the sub-.900 SV% Flames have been getting from Markstrom all season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:23 AM   #18
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i never blame goalies for 3 on 3 goals because they really have to gamble. 3 on 3 is stupid

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 10:25 AM   #19
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

You should be allowed to kick the puck in the net. So far as I understand the WHL has done this with no problems.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:26 AM   #20
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
You should be allowed to kick the puck in the net. So far as I understand the WHL has done this with no problems.
Totally agree. It's dumb.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote