Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 392 62.92%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 163 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.94%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.98%
Voters: 623. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #1001
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
This is how Canada generates electricity

On the surface it would seem like we'd greatly benefit from battery electric vehicles. Only partially true, in mild areas yes the carbon footprint would be much lower than a gas burner. But in cold areas a BEV has poor efficiency overall, not the car itself but it takes a lot of power to heat the cabin.

For example a Tesla Model 3 goes about 400km on the equivalent energy as 7.5 liters of gasoline, driven in mild weather. In cold weather the wasted heat of a petrol car keeps you warm, in the Tesla there is little waste energy so you end up using a similar amount of energy as the petrol car.
The way around this is you can “warm them up” when they are plugged in. Doesn’t help you if you stop somewhere, but helps your daily work commute.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #1002
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The way around this is you can “warm them up” when they are plugged in. Doesn’t help you if you stop somewhere, but helps your daily work commute.
The amount of energy it takes to heat the cabin is fixed. And that energy comes from being plugged in, so how do you think that's "the way around this" exactly?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #1003
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Agreed. One thing we should stop doing too, is buying big-ass, unnecessary gas guzzling tanks as personal vehicles. These behemoth trucks / SUVs have, for a large part, moved away from their utilitarian purpose in recent decades and now people drive them simply because... they want one. The Western provinces are really guilty of this.

A transition to more fuel-efficient / electric models with less of an environmental footprint, including reducing the amount of driving we need to do by investing in clean / robust / easy-to-access public transportation and cycling infrastructure, is a great start.
Do you have facts for this? I thought it was country-wide that everyone is buying trucks and SUV's.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #1004
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do you have facts for this? I thought it was country-wide that everyone is buying trucks and SUV's.
It's a trend in all of North America. To the point where GM and Ford are not bothering with sedans anymore.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #1005
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a trend in all of North America. To the point where GM and Ford are not bothering with sedans anymore.
Ya, I know, it just seemed odd to throw shade at Western Canada, unless it is based on fact.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #1006
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, I know, it just seemed odd to throw shade at Western Canada, unless it is based on fact.
It isn’t.

Quote:
The amount of energy it takes to heat the cabin is fixed. And that energy comes from being plugged in, so how do you think that's "the way around this" exactly?
Well, the energy sources need fixing obviously. I don’t know what every province uses, but Ontario is 60% Nuclear, 24% hydro, 6% natural gas, 2% solar, and 8% wind. We need more nuclear in this country.

Who’s using all that coal?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #1007
dre
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. One thing we should stop doing too, is buying big-ass, unnecessary gas guzzling tanks as personal vehicles. These behemoth trucks / SUVs have, for a large part, moved away from their utilitarian purpose in recent decades and now people drive them simply because... they want one. The Western provinces are really guilty of this.

A transition to more fuel-efficient / electric models with less of an environmental footprint, including reducing the amount of driving we need to do by investing in clean / robust / easy-to-access public transportation and cycling infrastructure, is a great start.
Give it time. Electric vehicles will be more affordable, but we just need to have rich people buy more of them to bring down price. Kind of like the flatscreen tv was unattainable for most families when they first came out.
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #1008
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was rich coming from the guy who was asking if he should buy a used Range Rover a couple months ago.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #1009
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My observation is anecdotal. However, I've lived in Ontario and internationally, and I see more trucks and SUV's, per capita, here in the west. Not saying stats back that up, but I do trust my eyes and experiences enough to make that statement. If you have stats that prove otherwise, I'd be happy to see them.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #1010
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
That was rich coming from the guy who was asking if he should buy a used Range Rover a couple months ago.
Yeah, I didn't buy it because of its fuel inefficiency, among many other things. Get off your high horse.

Also, your creep level is x1000.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #1011
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't buy it because of its fuel inefficiency, among many other things. Get off your high horse.

Haha not all of us have goldfish memory.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #1012
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My observation is anecdotal. However, I've lived in Ontario and internationally, and I see more trucks and SUV's, per capita, here in the west. Not saying stats back that up, but I do trust my eyes and experiences enough to make that statement. If you have stats that prove otherwise, I'd be happy to see them.

That's...uhm..not how this usually works.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #1013
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No, but you were still looking for something you wanted buy, regardless of inefficiency.

It's basically the climate change argument in miniature. No one wants to substantially change their lives, but still seem to think this needs to be immediately addressed, just by someone else though.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #1014
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

So long as it doesn't affect my fake baller status, I'm 100% willing to do whatever it takes to save the climate.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #1015
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's...uhm..not how this usually works.
Too bad. I said it was anecdotal, and I don't really care what others think of that. I don't feel like diving any further into it either.

If you're so interested in sticking it to me though, put the stats up. I'll admit I'm wrong.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #1016
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Is this really a thing?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Green_Wall

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #1017
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Whether it's real or not, I do believe that climate change and the global collaboration to respond will be the great galvanizing force of our time. Ambitious projects are what can bring some of our leaders and countries together to share common concerns.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #1018
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Too bad. I said it was anecdotal, and I don't really care what others think of that. I don't feel like diving any further into it either.

If you're so interested in sticking it to me though, put the stats up. I'll admit I'm wrong.
It doesn't seem like those stats are collected, only passenger cars vs trucks, and it isn't clear where suv's fall in that.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...0101#timeframe
Old 09-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #1019
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't seem like those stats are collected, only passenger cars vs trucks, and it isn't clear where suv's fall in that.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...0101#timeframe
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=2010000201
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #1020
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
No hysteria. And it isn’t just coal. Even if it was, they are still real people.

Look no further than Alberta for an idea, jobs in the oil industry were lost or people changed career paths. Oil and gas is never going away 100%, but it is going to continue to scale down just as coal and steel has. Automation aside.

It’s necessary, but I want to see solid re-education/work training programs offered along side any major industry shift.
That is an unfair comparison. Alberta oil jobs are being lost not because OIL is being replaced, but because our government didn't have the foresight to make sure our biggest resource can find its way to the market.

And no, oil is NOT scaling down. I don't even know where you are getting that information from. The issue in Saudi Arabia showed exactly how worldwide demand works.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post: