Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #181
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
They're going to give false info on purpose just to get 2 minutes of attention in the media?

Sorry, not buying it.
Australian news:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.9ne...b-badf93dc6f11

The narrative sounds slightly different from one account to another. When I was trying to ascertain the exact location of the sighting from the volunteers and the community's Chief Leroy Constant, I heard it described as at the garbage dump, near the garbage dump, rummaging through the garbage dump and between the garbage dump and water treatment plant. Mixed messages can of course happen via Chinese whispers when it comes to witness accounts, but it is worth noting.

In the days since the Bear Clan Patrol called in the possible sighting, they've raised about $3058. They've also received a lot of publicity - featuring on news bulletins all over the world, including ours
And yet despite all the resources thrown into searching York Landing immediately after the tip off, nothing was found. One police officer told me their sniffer dog was on the ground so quickly that afternoon, there is no way the pair wouldn't have been sniffed out if they were indeed in that forest they reportedly ran into. Not only that, they deployed air resources with infrared capabilities to look over the area and saw nothing. It just doesn't make sense. These two suspects can't just disappear into thin air,

There are several explanations for the false alarm in York Landing and I'm not going to spell them out. Whatever happened, every hour counts on the clock when a nationwide manhunt of this importance is underway.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #182
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Ya, no one has ever done that before lol
I don't recall a group of people making up a story to pull valuable resources away from one area to another during a nation wide manhunt for murder suspects purely for media attention.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #183
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I wonder if these teens are already dead from exposure in the bush.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #184
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I wonder if these teens are already dead from exposure in the bush.
I really don't think so. The one guy wants to go out in a blaze of glory his dad said and I think if he feels the gig is up soon for any reason he will get into a firefight with police. A survival expert says it is a 90% chance they are still alive.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5716526/b...ects-survival/
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #185
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

When I read that article and he's talking about purifying water with UV rays and needing 4 to 6000 calories a day. My first thought is 90% hell, I doubt it, what he's talking about is people that are trained in survival and have pre planned their trip.

I would be less surprised if we find their rotting bodies and a couple of years with their pants around their ankles and guns in their mouth.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #186
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Australian news:

The narrative sounds slightly different from one account to another. When I was trying to ascertain the exact location of the sighting from the volunteers and the community's Chief Leroy Constant, I heard it described as at the garbage dump, near the garbage dump, rummaging through the garbage dump and between the garbage dump and water treatment plant. Mixed messages can of course happen via Chinese whispers when it comes to witness accounts, but it is worth noting.

In the days since the Bear Clan Patrol called in the possible sighting, they've raised about $3058. They've also received a lot of publicity - featuring on news bulletins all over the world, including ours
And yet despite all the resources thrown into searching York Landing immediately after the tip off, nothing was found. One police officer told me their sniffer dog was on the ground so quickly that afternoon, there is no way the pair wouldn't have been sniffed out if they were indeed in that forest they reportedly ran into. Not only that, they deployed air resources with infrared capabilities to look over the area and saw nothing. It just doesn't make sense. These two suspects can't just disappear into thin air,

There are several explanations for the false alarm in York Landing and I'm not going to spell them out. Whatever happened, every hour counts on the clock when a nationwide manhunt of this importance is underway.
Is this supposed to support the idea that it was a fake tip? All of the bolded could be factually correct over the course of about 1 minute. Doesn't seem unreasonable that the 2nd/3rd hand account would have slight discrepancies, especially when it seems there were probably two different eye witnesses?

Personally, if I were a conspiracy theorist (which I'm not in this case) I would have gone with this paragraph (though I haven't heard anything else about this claim of capture?)

Quote:
The other thing that doesn't smell right is the way the reported sighting was handled by the community's Chief, Leroy Constant. In the evening hours after the sighting was called in, Constant declared that the two fugitives had been captured. That spread inaccurate information like wildfire across social media, even prompting some Australian media to start reporting the incorrect information. It was incorrect, police had not captured McLeod and Schmegelsky.

Quote:
Their GoFundMe Page states it has a goal to raise $100,000. In nine months, 425 people have donated a total amount of $34,665. Based on the page's comments, donors are happy and supportive of the work they are doing in the community - and this is obviously a cause close to peoples' hearts in this part of the Province.
$3k over a few days sounds pretty good, but they'd already managed over $30k previously (almost $3k a month)

Quote:
As for locals who reported hearing gunshots, I later found out there were only two gunshots fired. They were from a tactical officer's firearm who fired into the ground. He had become separated from his team and he couldn't reach for his radio, so it was his way of communicating to his peers where he was in the bush.
I'm the last person to question the competency of the RCMP/searchers in this case, but this seems like an interesting tidbit that shows how easy it is to get 'lost' in this bush, even if you're not trying to...

Overall, kind of interesting to me that a few big revelations/lingering question marks seem to have come from international sources, and no 'corrected record' has really been established (the other being the alcohol checkstop by the RCMP/not RCMP guy(s) who may or may not have seen camping gear and/or maps). I can't say I've read every article from Canadian news outlets, but they don't seem to have gotten to the bottom of things with primary sources very well?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #187
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Surviving in the forest up there without a fire, with the weather they are having not likely for these two.The mosquitoes and even worse black flies push any experienced guide i know to there wits end up there... no way they are in the bush unprepared and still alive unless they have help
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #188
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Australian news:

Is that a legit Australian news source? It reads like the equivalent of a Calgary Sun opinion piece.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:09 AM   #189
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I don't recall a group of people making up a story to pull valuable resources away from one area to another during a nation wide manhunt for murder suspects purely for media attention.
People go for media attention all the time.

I don't see how you can discount the fact that they found ZERO trace of them having ever been near or in York Landing.

The claim was obviously bogus.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #190
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
People go for media attention all the time.

I don't see how you can discount the fact that they found ZERO trace of them having ever been near or in York Landing.

The claim was obviously bogus.
Ever near? They had to drive through it to get to Gillam.

I think it’s much more likely that the person who spotted them was mistaken than they were malicious.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #191
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

I think it’s much more likely that the person who spotted them was mistaken than they were malicious.
York landing isn't on the road from Thompson to gillam, the only ways to get there are by ferry, plane, or on foot through the bush. Not that I'm coming out in support of this conspiracy theory because I'm not, but if they were ever there they would have had to get there walking through straight heavy bush back from their burnt out rav 4 in Gilliam.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #192
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Until now. Humans are pretty messed up
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #193
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

As mentioned, this is false.

The only way to get there is the ferry, which obviously never happened, or through the bush.

There was no sign of them doing that, so the tip was false.

Only reason to give a false tip was to give media attention. Nobody likes it because the Bear Clan does great work in Winnipeg, but obviously they were looking for some spotlight.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #194
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like they obviously had another mode of transport or a plan before they decided to burn the RAV4. I can't see anyone being on the run who just ditches the vehicle.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #195
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I feel like they obviously had another mode of transport or a plan before they decided to burn the RAV4. I can't see anyone being on the run who just ditches the vehicle.

Run out of gas and no money?
Old 08-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #196
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

what i worry is that they could be holding a local and their family hostage

They may have held a driver at knife or gun point and had them drive them to Ontario.

They may have broken into a house and had the parents hide them while they held their children hostage

i really hope they find their bodies if they're dead
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #197
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So much empty space up there, if they made some distance and ate a bullet it's possible they're never found. The bush up there won't kill you immediately but if they don't have any gear/supplies and don't know how to hunt, well.

I grew up in a small northern SK town, you could go straight north to the NWT border without crossing a road or seeing another person. Easily 500 square kms of nothing.

A friend's Dad committed suicide and they didn't find his body until 10 years later, he was only 1 km away from a road very close to town.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #198
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ontario Provincial Police have now assigned an investigative team due to all the potential sightings of the suspects in Ontario.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ont-northern-bc-murders-1.5235682
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/ontario-police-create-investigative-team-in-hunt-for-b-c-murder-suspects-1.4534431

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #199
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could have seen this story becoming a Tragically Hip song.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #200
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

RCMP sending underwater team to Gillam, Man., to assist in search for B.C. homicide suspects

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...team-1.5235979

Apparently will be searching a part of the Nelson river
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote