Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #1061
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Straight outta Statistics Canada:

Footnote 2: Trucks include minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light and heavy trucks, vans and buses.

Footnote 3:Light trucks: include minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light trucks and vans.

So now we're counting SUVs and minivans in the same category on two different levels. Each footnote does not designate why we should use these two separate types exclusively in two categories. If we can't define a difference, then both need to be used, partner! You're going to have to Venn me hard on how we don't include both.

You also do realize that there is no definition of what constitutes a personal vehicle and what constitutes a commercial vehicle according to the data presented, right?
Footnotes 3, 4 and 5 (buses) add up to the total in Footnote 2.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #1062
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

U.S. vehicle fuel economy rises to record 24.7 mpg: EPA

This is pathetic and is almost entirely because people have gone mad for SUVs. Worse is some auto makers are purchasing fuel efficiency credits from the likes of Tesla, why are they allowed to do this? Either meet regulations or don't sell cars.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #1063
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Footnotes 3, 4 and 5 (buses) add up to the total in Footnote 2.
Footnotes 4 and Buses ("5") are distinct enough to be considered specific vehicles. Footnote 2 does no such discerning, and double-dips it's numbers, especially when you consider how Footnote 2 is defined.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #1064
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Straight outta Statistics Canada:

Footnote 2: Trucks include minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light and heavy trucks, vans and buses.

Footnote 3:Light trucks: include minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light trucks and vans.

So now we're counting SUVs and minivans in the same category on two different levels. Each footnote does not designate why we should use these two separate types exclusively in two categories. If we can't define a difference, then both need to be used, partner! You're going to have to Venn me hard on how we don't include both.

You also do realize that there is no definition of what constitutes a personal vehicle and what constitutes a commercial vehicle according to the data presented, right?
No ####. That's why you don't count them twice. If you add up "trucks" and "light trucks" you have just counted most vehicles twice. That would be wrong. Now, if you want to use the "trucks" category to somehow prove that people in Alberta drive more buses than people in Ontario, well, go ahead and make that point, I guess. it's useless, but you seem intent on that today.

Anyway, I'm out. You are either trolling, or haven't taken 2 minutes to understand what the data is.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #1065
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
No ####. That's why you don't count them twice. If you add up "trucks" and "light trucks" you have just counted most vehicles twice. That would be wrong. Now, if you want to use the "trucks" category to somehow prove that people in Alberta drive more buses than people in Ontario, well, go ahead and make that point, I guess. it's useless, but you seem intent on that today.

Anyway, I'm out. You are either trolling, or haven't taken 2 minutes to understand what the data is.
Partner, you might want to differ between Footnote 2 and 3, and then tell me how it's not double dipping. SUV's, for example are lumped into all Light Trucks, but are called out separately from Light Trucks in Footnote 3.

Maybe we should join super powers and call Statistics Canada to verify the footnotes, qu'est-ce que tu penses?
Old 09-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #1066
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone with no skin in the game, it's hilarious how lost Ozy_Flames is on this one.

Fuzz's head may explode.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #1067
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I'm good. If we have to look at large personal vehicles, we have to include Footnotes 2 and 3. Maybe Statistics Canada should define their categories without double dipping

Try combining the two footnotes:

Trucks include minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light (minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light trucks and vans) and heavy trucks, vans and buses.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #1068
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we move on now?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #1069
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Muta can translate for you Fuzz?
Old 09-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #1070
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm good. If we have to look at large personal vehicles, we have to include Footnotes 2 and 3. Maybe Statistics Canada should define their categories without double dipping
They do define their categories without double dipping, you just haven't figure out how to read the table yet. You owe me a beer for this headache.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:05 PM   #1071
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

OMG he actually made a Venn Diagram. And it's still not accurate to Stats Canada's definitions.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #1072
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Try combining the two footnotes:

Trucks include minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light (minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light trucks and vans) and heavy trucks, vans and buses.
Footnote 2 already includes footnote 3.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #1073
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Footnote 2 already includes footnote 3.
That's the whole point. Footnote 2 double-dips.

Again, this is what Footnote 2 is saying by definition:

Trucks include minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light trucks (minivans, sport-utility vehicles, light trucks and vans) and heavy trucks, vans and buses.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #1074
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

SUVs should not be allowed to be classified as light trucks since almost all are in fact cars. The body on frame models like the 4Runner are likely not going to be around much longer.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #1075
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not double dipping. Ugh. You can't be that thick. It's a category. All the ones below are sub categories. If you look at the numbers, you can add them up to see the total of "trucks" is just a sum of light trucks, heavy trucks and buses. As per my diagram.

I'm pretty happy I never had to be your teacher in school.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #1076
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's the whole point. Footnote 2 double-dips.

Again, this is what Footnote 2 is saying by definition:

But it isn't double dipping if you read it properly.

Light trucks is not only a full category encompassing multiple vehicles, it's actually a specific type of vehicle as well.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #1077
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

But what do the circles mean?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #1078
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #1079
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
SUVs should not be allowed to be classified as light trucks since almost all are in fact cars. The body on frame models like the 4Runner are likely not going to be around much longer.
Ya, that's a relic of how even minivans used to be built on truck chasis. But now the old "truck" category has also got blown out, I think it used to be under a certain weight, but they kept bumping that up. By calling all these things "trucks" they avoid certain emmisions standards and I think safety ones as well.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #1080
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's not double dipping. Ugh. You can't be that thick. It's a category. All the ones below are sub categories. If you look at the numbers, you can add them up to see the total of "trucks" is just a sum of light trucks, heavy trucks and buses. As per my diagram.

I'm pretty happy I never had to be your teacher in school.
By Stats Canada's own definitions, you have to include both numbers. SUV's and minivans (even just "vans"), are cross-referenced as two distinct categories by definition in this data.

Let's meet in the middle - use "Light Trucks" as our singular category even though the definitions don't allow for it. What do you say, friend?

I'd love to get taught by you as well, your curriculum should heavily focus on geometric shapes. Spelling is not your strong suit.