Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #3061
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Matt Devlin kind of embarrassed himself, imo. That "what a do!!!" after everything he said was absurd coming from a middle aged white guy.

Drake nailed it at the end there. "Thank you Ron Burgendy".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #3062
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Anybody else put together all the clues. The five year thing by Lowry, him wearing his board man gets paid, and five haha's. He is signing for 5, book it .
4 haha's.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #3063
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Larry eating up what felt like 25m of mic time was a travesty, this thing was pretty poorly planned all around unfortunately . Loved watching the players (Freddy's) IG videos and such though, the 5 more years chant was great. Another video that catches more of the build up to that the fans are cheering one more year and Kawhi apparently asks "Only 1?" then Lowry and Uncle Dennis get them cheering five more years. I'll be surprised if he isn't back, Dennis seems to love the organisation (Masai in particular)
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #3064
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Larry eating up what felt like 25m of mic time was a travesty, this thing was pretty poorly planned all around unfortunately . Loved watching the players (Freddy's) IG videos and such though, the 5 more years chant was great. Another video that catches more of the build up to that the fans are cheering one more year and Kawhi apparently asks "Only 1?" then Lowry and Uncle Dennis get them cheering five more years. I'll be surprised if he isn't back, Dennis seems to love the organisation (Masai in particular)
Larry's brutal. You get the sense he feels like the media and fans should have him as the hero over all the management and players. It was hilarious on ABC during game 6 he had to be forced twice in two different situations in two minutes.

First Ibaka came over and literally ripped the trophy out of his hands with a "that's a enough of you hogging this thing" look, so he could give it Lowry. Then in the interview he basically tried to take over the presentation from Doris and ABC. "Where's Nick Nurse, bring him up here I want to talk to him". Doris finally basically pushed him away and said "hahaha, alright Larry, we'll talk to Nurse in a bit".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #3065
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to get the train home so I missed the stage show after the player intros, but it looks like that was a good decision. The politicians and businessmen just don't get it. People don't like or care about them in this situation. If you want to rub elbows with athletes, take the back seat. Instead they got front row in something they weren't directly involved with. It honestly looks pathetic on the organization to allow such things but nobody stands up to the guys paying the bills. It would be really heroic of Drake to shame them for that. Anyway, I thought today lack of crowd control was great. It showed how crazy the city was for them and felt organic. I'm sure it was a longer day than necessary, but the barriers for crowd control seem so impersonal. This was cool and to accidentally, to some degree, textbook on how to do it.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #3066
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I agree that the Leafs would not be as big a deal, but primarily because a lot of hockey fans in Toronto are not even fans of the Maple Leafs. There are a lot of Habs fans and all the original six teams have a solid following.

Back when the Leafs were bad(fairly recently in fact)people filled up the arena to root for the other teams. They have never really had home support up to the standard of the other teams.
Yeah all those Florida Panther fans, Arizona Coyotes fans, Ottawa Senator fans, etc. really kept the Leafs afloat.

Hah! You are so wrong I'm not sure if you are just doing it on purpose.

It's more like the opposite and Leaf fan presence is so strong in North America that they help other building sellout.

Just look at when they play in Calgary, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida, Tampa, Phoenix, and countless other places. Leaf fans outnumber the home team on most occasions!
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:07 PM   #3067
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
4 haha's.
The Ah in the first one counts as one too! Let me go with it dammit!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:05 PM   #3068
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Yeah all those Florida Panther fans, Arizona Coyotes fans, Ottawa Senator fans, etc. really kept the Leafs afloat.

It's more like the opposite and Leaf fan presence is so strong in North America that they help other building sellout.

Just look at when they play in Calgary, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida, Tampa, Phoenix, and countless other places. Leaf fans outnumber the home team on most occasions!
Many Leaf fans do move and start a new life in many other cities, that says nothing about the hockey fans in Toronto though. They tend to be general hockey fans first and maybe Leaf fans second. They also tend to be a corporate crowd. Have you have been to many games at the Gardens or the ACC?

I seem to remember that many of the ethnic groups in general preferred the Habs, and the maritimers were Bruins fans. I played minor hockey in Downsview and Willowdale for years and I would say no more then 60-70 percent of hockey people even rooted for the Leafs(these are the guys that can afford tickets today). In contrast 99.9 percent of BB fans would root for the Raptors.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 06-17-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #3069
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post

The Leafs play here one time a year...Flames season ticket holders cash in. Its not like the Flames need the Leafs to sell out. They are an original six team...one of two from Canada. Sure they have fans, congrats...that is what happens when your team has been around for 1000 years and your city has a large population. (many who moved out west for a better life)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:14 AM   #3070
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Many Leaf fans do move and start a new life in many other cities, that says nothing about the hockey fans in Toronto though. They tend to be general hockey fans first and maybe Leaf fans second. They also tend to be a corporate crowd. Have you have been to many games at the Gardens or the ACC?

I seem to remember that many of the ethnic groups in general preferred the Habs, and the maritimers were Bruins fans. I played minor hockey in Downsview and Willowdale for years and I would say no more then 60-70 percent of hockey people even rooted for the Leafs(these are the guys that can afford tickets today). In contrast 99.9 percent of BB fans would root for the Raptors.
You said people.filled up the Leafs arena cheering for the other team. I cannot think of this ever happening in my lifetime. Sure there may be pockets of the opposition team but nothing like when the Leafs play in Buffalo or Ottawa where they take over the entire arena.

The Raps fans are on the whole louder and more energetic for sure overall.

But you're kidding yourself if you think a Leafs parade would be smaller than what we witnessed yesterday with the Raps.

Huge amounts of people from Ontario would travel to Toronto for the parade. Plus you'd get the diehards flying back from all over Canada and the world. It would be insane.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #3071
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post

Totally agree on owners acting like they won it themselves. He was even worse when TFC won the title. The whole team who just did the work was waiting for the trophy and he gets it first, he's out in front of them, shaking it in the air like he won it himself and refusing to hand it over.

It's fair for them to play a role as they are important, but the team should come first, it's incredibly tone deaf the way they've been moving in some sports and really fails to acknowledge what their customers(fans) want.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #3072
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think the smartest thing for Kawhi would be signing the 1+1 contract in Toronto.

That or he re-signs for 5 in Toronto and if he decides to he could likely always just demand a trade to L.A. in 2 years.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #3073
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I still think the smartest thing for Kawhi would be signing the 1+1 contract in Toronto.

That or he re-signs for 5 in Toronto and if he decides to he could likely always just demand a trade to L.A. in 2 years.
Given his injury history and degenerative condition on his quads, he'd be remiss not to sign with the security of five years IMO.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #3074
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harrison Barnes is declining his $25 million player option for next year, presumably because he knows the Knicks will miss everyone and be desperate and give him a max. Otherwise...????
Old 06-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #3075
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will the Raptors get a White House invitation? They probably wouldn't go, but since they are based in Canada does that still happen? Or do they go to Ottawa instead?
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #3076
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Will the Raptors get a White House invitation? They probably wouldn't go, but since they are based in Canada does that still happen? Or do they go to Ottawa instead?
During Tim and Sid's broadcast at the parade they said historically Canadian championship teams have been given a White House and Parliament invitation.

My guess is they are invited by Trump, then they decline, then Trump rambles on about how they're a Canadian team and he should have never invited them and now they're invitation is rescinded and additional steel tariffs have been imposed on Canada and maybe they should build a northern wall too, that Canada will pay for but then America pays for, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #3077
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

The latter is the smart move. Guaranteed the max dollars and I am sure the team has probably given him reassurance that if he wants out down the road they will do their best to move him where he wants to go.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #3078
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL he suffered a concussion eh?

Quote:
A deputy suffered a concussion and is on medical leave after an altercation with the president of the Toronto Raptors as he tried to join his team on the court to celebrate their NBA championship, a lawyer said Tuesday.

The 20-year-veteran of the Alameda County Sheriff's Office also has a serious jaw injury and is considering filing a lawsuit against Raptors President Masai Ujiri, attorney David Mastagni said.

"The officer is off work, disabled and wants to go back to work," Mastagni said. The name of the deputy has not been released.

The clash between the deputy and Ujiri happened as the deputy checked court-access credentials after the game Thursday in Oakland against the Golden State Warriors.

Authorities say Ujiri tried to walk past the deputy but the deputy stopped him because he didn't see Ujiri's on-court credentials.

Ujiri pushed the deputy, who pushed him back before Ujiri "made a second, more significant shove and during that shove his arm struck our deputy in the side of the head," sheriff's Sgt. Ray Kelly said. He said Ujiri also shouted obscenities.

Several bystanders intervened and Ujiri got onto the court without displaying any credentials, Kelly said.

Investigators were questioning witnesses and the office hopes to file a report to prosecutors this week recommending a misdemeanor battery charge against Ujiri, Kelly said.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ims-concussion
Old 06-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #3079
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love is Masai sues this bum back. That exemplifies everything wrong with the US. Power hungry, racist jerkoffs. Assuming Masai isn't in the wrong he should take this guy to the cleaners.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #3080
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I would love is Masai sues this bum back. That exemplifies everything wrong with the US. Power hungry, racist jerkoffs. Assuming Masai isn't in the wrong he should take this guy to the cleaners.
What's hilarious about this is that if it went down exactly how the cop described, I don't doubt for a second Masai would've been hauled hand-behind-his-back out of the arena.

This screams to me some cop is suing for a case of the hurted-feels.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote