Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #61
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Silk Alley was mentioned and yes it is attractive and sort of works because there are a bazillion people there. I think they just stay afloat, propped up by some bazillionaire.

I think the local street markets always do better.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #62
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #63
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

This place was on the news again tonight. One of the stores that has opened sells perfume. The owner says it's doing well and he has several regular customers. The manager of the mall said everything was fine, it was supposed to take awhile and seemed a little ticked off about all the recent negative coverage. Apparently there is supposed to be 39 stores open by the end of the month.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #64
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
This place was on the news again tonight. One of the stores that has opened sells perfume. The owner says it's doing well and he has several regular customers. The manager of the mall said everything was fine, it was supposed to take awhile and seemed a little ticked off about all the recent negative coverage.
"Soon, we will have at least 39 flea market AliExpress stores open. BassPro - they came, and we pounded them, and now they have closed. Customers are interested in crappy trinket shops and not in large anchor tenants - Cross Iron? They have died".

Last edited by Ducay; 10-04-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #65
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think if they can get a good food court going or if they can get a nice variety of food stands opened up, people will start showing up. I think about the Asian Garden Mall in Anaheim or Hmongtown Marketplace in Minneapolis-St. Paul, where they are like flea markets but people go there primarily for the wide variety of food and dining options and then they do some shopping while they're there.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #66
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Is there an EDO JAPAN in there?
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #67
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
No, it sounds like the only thing open is a (possibly counterfeit) perfume store.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:28 AM   #68
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I know it's very unlikely, but I'd love to see a SE Asia inspired food market open here. One of my favorite things about Bangkok is going to one of the huge malls for cheap foodcourt fare. A few bucks can get you any kind of asian dish you can think of, cooked fresh right in front of you

If I had access to something like that near my work, I'd never bring lunch again
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 02:31 AM   #69
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Man if this turned into an electronics shopping mall like the ones in this video...it would be heaven haha

Linus is Canadian?

This must be Shenzhen. Shenzhen is the hardware capital of the world and these markets are a big factor in why Chinese hardware entrepreneurs will beat everyone else in the world over the coming decades. Nobody is replicating something like this in Calgary without strong top-down direction over the whole space. This mall sounds like more of a real estate scam, so I don't expect that to happen.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #70
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over/Under on when this mall might hit 50% of the stores open for business? I’ll say two years but I wonder if enough investors will have dumped their units by then...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #71
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Could be CP’s new headquarters
Old 10-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #72
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Linus is Canadian?

This must be Shenzhen. Shenzhen is the hardware capital of the world and these markets are a big factor in why Chinese hardware entrepreneurs will beat everyone else in the world over the coming decades. Nobody is replicating something like this in Calgary without strong top-down direction over the whole space. This mall sounds like more of a real estate scam, so I don't expect that to happen.
Linus is based in the GVR, yeah.

I can't get enough of the Strange Parts episodes. The kind of crap that guy does, and is able to find in China is just astounding.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #73
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The manager of the mall said everything was fine, it was supposed to take awhile and seemed a little ticked off about all the recent negative coverage. Apparently there is supposed to be 39 stores open by the end of the month.
39 stores open by the end of the month in the same way it was supposed to be fully rented/leased and operational at the time of opening? Will believe that when I see it.

Good place for Highland PCN to start one of their walking/exercise groups similar to the one they have in place at CrossIron. Certainly would be far less congested.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #74
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

From my experience with new empty strip malls is, you can get a noodle house, liquor store, hopefully some kind of medical,,, then I am out of ideas for the rest, maybe a yoga joint. I don't know why they keep building brand new 6 - 10 unit strip malls, let alone huge malls.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #75
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post

Calm down Ryan...
Old 10-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #76
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are a few factors why the New Horizon Mall doesn't work right now. Besides overbuilding it (too huge of a space) and the currently bad economic climate, the biggest factor is the location.

If it is geared towards ethic groups, a lot of the new immigrants / foreign students / seniors cannot get there as they don't drive.

The success of Aberdeen Center in Richmond and Pacific Mall in Markham is because they are right in the middle of where their intended target customers live and its convenient to go there.

The "build it anywhere and people will come" model won't work.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #77
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
There are a few factors why the New Horizon Mall doesn't work right now. Besides overbuilding it (too huge of a space) and the currently bad economic climate, the biggest factor is the location.

If it is geared towards ethic groups, a lot of the new immigrants / foreign students / seniors cannot get there as they don't drive.

The success of Aberdeen Center in Richmond and Pacific Mall in Markham is because they are right in the middle of where their intended target customers live and its convenient to go there.

Aberdeen Mall also has the Daiso. I go to that mall just for that place. If New Horizons could get a tenant like that, that would be big.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #78
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post

again, it would have been perfect in eau claire instead of what's there now.

which brings up another question, why haven't the chinese ever just taken over eau claire?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #79
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
again, it would have been perfect in eau claire instead of what's there now.

which brings up another question, why haven't the chinese ever just taken over eau claire?

It's probably expensive, and they already have Chinatown one block over. The Chinese business owners wouldn't take over something expensive. They would go for the cheap properties and build it up into something. Isn't that kind of the story of Chinatowns everywhere?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #80
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update: Things are still pretty bleak

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...mall-1.4938044

Quote:
The mall says as of last Friday, only 39 out of 500 stores there are open.

Quote:
A statement from the mall said "As of Dec. 7, New Horizon Mall has 39 stores open and recently announced the opening of its first food court operator, Matty's Grill."
The mall says in addition to the open stores, another 40 are ready to be occupied.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote