Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #101
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

For SDCC, Marvel Unlimited is running an offer from July 8 to July 20 where you can sign up for a 1 month subscription for one penny.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-08-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #102
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alex Ross cover for the concluding issue of Secret Wars, due this October:

Spoiler!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #103
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neat, Marvel is doing hip-hop variant covers for October. 12 safe images behind spoiler tags.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-15-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #104
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple of little things. Asgard is in the same universe as everyone else, in the comics, and presumably in the movies as well. There are a lot of stories where a warlike or expansionist race runs into one of the 'nine realms' and gets absolutely dismantled by Thor or Odin. They learn to stay away. Some races, like the Spartax, think of Asgardians as lower life forms, and don't care if they keep their little corner of the universe. Things do get murky when the multiple dimensions of Asgardian spiritual life are all mashed one on top of another in the same physical space.

I think that most space faring species think of Asgard as a silly place. Much like Camelot.

In the movies, Adam Warlocks cocoon was in the Collector's collection, so that could be an interesting twist in the future. He's a player in the Guardian's stories.

Street level characters have always been my main focus though, so this is probably a pretty obtuse set of observations.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #105
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other thing was, that I picked up some preview magazines and sense some DC and Marvel shark jumping going on.

At Marvel, the whole 'Battleworld' thing seems destructive to the brand. The Green Lantern Thors? Ghost Racers 2000? There seems to be a shift toward a bunch of alternate realities. Does anyone have insight into whether these things are supposed to be canon?

Bendis doing Guardians to Knowhere and a Mrs. Deadpool story seem solid.

Over at DC, they are doing another mini-reboot, with 24 new books. Members of the Bat Family are in most of them. Too many bats.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #106
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Does anyone have insight into whether these things are supposed to be canon?
I think they are, but then they're only around for the very short term until Secret Wars wraps up in October. They're being told as some of the last remaining pieces of the multiverse that were spared from destruction when everything else died. So they are kind of out there What If? type realities that just happen to be all that is left. For now.

I can't speak for Ghost Racers, but the Thors series had a solid start.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #107
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
No Black Panther in any ongoing books?
Black Panther Series Coming To All-New, All-Different Marvel
Old 07-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #108
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

And three new hip-hop cover variants:

Spoiler!
Old 07-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #109
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is Miles joining the 616 then?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #110
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is! He'll be around in his own book plus that Avengers title.

We should call it Earth-201510 though.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #111
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Excellent. Makes sense with a movie coming.

I hope they bring back Priest to write BP.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #112
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

So here's a question for someone who may have a better feel of the pulse on all this:

Which version of Deadpool are we seeing? By all accounts the original Earth - 616 Deadpool is dead. He didn't make it (despite Thanos' curse). So what Wade is this? Does anyone know? Or is it likely to be explained in one of the books he is in? (Avengers and Spider-Pool)

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #113
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect the whole issue of whether 616 characters or other versions of the 616 characters make it into ANAD will be touched on briefly in the core miniseries of Secret Wars. It may not be explored in a lot of detail until the ANAD books launch though.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #114
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got codes for free digital copies of Future Imperfect #1-3, which is the Secret Wars miniseries taking place in the setting first seen in the Peter David and George Perez series of the same name from the 90s. PM me if you're interested.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:55 PM   #115
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

question for the comic fans

How do you know what a comic is worth?

A buddy who was into comics got me to buy one years ago, and lo and behold I found it in an old box with other magazines. The only mark is the store crossed out the U.S. Price with a small line of black sharpie. I may have read it once, then packed it away. You'd be hard pressed to tell it from new.

Seems like it may be worth something but I don't want to waltz into a comic store and get taken for a ride. Is there a way I can tell?

It's this:
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=92661
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:45 AM   #116
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post

A buddy who was into comics got me to buy one years ago, and lo and behold I found it in an old box with other magazines. The only mark is the store crossed out the U.S. Price with a small line of black sharpie. I may have read it once, then packed it away. You'd be hard pressed to tell it from new.

Seems like it may be worth something but I don't want to waltz into a comic store and get taken for a ride. Is there a way I can tell?

It's this:
Which one of those is it? Or by "one" do you mean "The whole series"? Bluntly put, as with anything...a comic is worth what you can get someone to pay for it. The price listings beside each issue on your link show the fluctuation pretty well, I think. All sorts of things can/will affect price. If you want to sell it, look around online and get a feel for it's average price, then take it and get it appraised.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #117
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

It's this:
If the comic is from the 80s or 90s, and has been written on with sharpie in any way, it's likely only worth the cover price or something less. There are exceptions of course but A Punisher War Journal isn't one of them.

Marvel and DC produced so many copies of each issue during that time that most comics haven't increased in value all that significantly.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #118
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

It's this:
It's worth what someone will pay. Check eBay completed sales.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #119
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit of a bump I guess but just wondering what marvel comics people are reading with all the new titles out and coming out. The Secret wars is actually a good story and some of the spin offs seem really good too. The civil war story seems really good, 1872 or whatever is a fun storyline, the new spiderman is good and there are a couple meh ones. I'm kind of upset that they just stopped Superior Iron Man though, I really liked it (all 7 issues...).

What are you guys reading, liking, looking forward to and can't stand?
Old 08-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #120
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The titles I'm most into that are ongoing right now are:

Old Man Logan - it's been a bit of a different SW tie-in, lots of jumping around with a changing cast. The art has also been gorgeous.

Years of Future Past - a really well done re-visit to the classic X-Men story setting, with an art style that kind of pays tribute to that original story but doesn't just ape it and feels fresh.

X-Men '92 - this has just been a fun nostalgia trip, with the series somehow combining the feel of the 90s animated series as well as the X-Men comics of the era. The digital version also does really cool things with transitions that just can't be done on paper

Ms. Marvel - this has been quite a fun read throughout, but I've really enjoyed seeing Ms. Marvel try and keep it together in the face of the end of the world. I'm excited to see how she manages in the new status quo after Secret Wars as an Avenger

Future Imperfect - this has been a pretty interesting story so far, with some neat twists along the way. A different mix of characters in a Hulk title that has worked pretty well so far

Invincible - Kirkman isn't for everyone, but I've really enjoyed his long-running take on a superhero universe. It's generated spin off characters and series, but seeing the main series evolve and change while still being a continuous story has been quite enjoyable

Lazarus - definitely my favorite ongoing title right now. Some really thought provoking near-future sci-fi, fantastic art, and a plot full of intrigue and action. If you've read titles from the team of Rucka and Lark before and aren't picking this up, you're doing yourself a disservice. If you're not familiar with either creator, it's still very easy to jump in and enjoy the ride. 18 issues out to date, with the first 10 collected in hardcover and trades, and up to 15 collected in a third trade.

In terms of stuff I tried and couldn't get into, I started reading the Age of Apocalypse tie-in to Secret Wars, but just didn't enjoy it and dropped it after the second issue.

For upcoming releases in October and November, I'm definitely looking forward to All-New X-Men, Extraordinary X-Men, Old Man Logan, All-New Wolverine, Ms. Marvel, and Totally Awesome Hulk. As well as continuing to read Invincible and Lazarus.