Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #1141
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Edmonton does not look good. Their taxpayers got bent over by Katz and then said thank you after. And now they all get to pay twice as much to watch their crappy team.
I moved here after the arena deal was finalized. I hate the oilers, and I still have to pay for the pos arena.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #1142
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Timberwolves are a team who offers free rides
From transit authority
I suppose Calgary Transit doesn't really need that kind of advertising. No way that 80% of Flames game attendees haven't taken transit before.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #1143
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Calgary Flames should remind Nenshi when they have their presser the construction of Rogers arena supported 5135 jobs.

Do you think the City of Calgary's economy would benefit from a project of that scale.
Nenshi has too many people fooled. The trickle down economics of 5135 jobs and hundreds of companies involved you can trust the city benifts 10 fold well beyond this.

https://www.google.ca/amp/globalnews...ening-day/amp/

Last edited by Stay Golden; 09-15-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #1144
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
The Calgary Flames should remind Nenshi when they have their presser the construction of Rogers arena supported 5135 jobs.

For $300 million dollars, the City could pay 5,000 people $60,000 to stand around and pick their noses for a year.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #1145
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
From transit authority
Probably helps keep the drunk driving down too.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Old 09-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #1146
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Those construction jobs happen regardless of how the arena is paid for. I don't see how that's a relevant argument.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #1147
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Those construction jobs happen regardless of how the arena is paid for. I don't see how that's a relevant argument.
What about option C - No arena and no jobs
Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #1148
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Spend $300 million on 5,000 nose pickers?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #1149
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Do you think the City of Calgary's economy would benefit from a project of that scale.
Nenshi has too many people fooled. The trickle down economics of 5135 jobs and hundreds of companies involved you can trust the city benifts 10 fold well beyond this.

So did the construction of every large downtown office building. Should REITs and pension funds and other developers be getting large subsidies to account for all the jobs their real estate development creates?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #1150
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You get those jobs building a library or an art gallery or any public infrastructure, too.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #1151
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Well then we're exactly where we are now and nothing changes.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #1152
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Of course you don't see that "more" construction jobs are created and of course like so many you think these 5135 jobs were all just exclusivly construction.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #1153
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Of course you don't see that "more" construction jobs are created and of course like so many you think these 5135 jobs are all construction.
So you're saying that a publicly funded arena produces more construction jobs than a privately funded arena?

How many more permanent jobs would be created with replacing one arena with a new one?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #1154
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
For $300 million dollars, the City could pay 5,000 people $60,000 to stand around and pick their noses for a year.
I see drivers on the Deerfoot that do this for free.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #1155
dre
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
From transit authority

It is easier for me to take transit than to drive and park at the dome. Probably going to be the same thing when they build the new stadium.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #1156
t_cizzo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

The arena being built with a fair balance of investment and risk between the flames ownership and the city also grants us a similar number of jobs for a similar period of time. Its also not trickle down economics when taxpayers foot the majority of the construction bill and ownership retains the rights to the revenue streams the newly built arena brings in. That's the average Calgarian being fleeced to line ownership's pockets. This is a MASSIVE infrastructure project that can't just pick up and move to another city if the investment goes sour, like an NHL franchise can move it's team. Once it's built it's BUILT, and success or failure the city, not the owners, are saddled with its fate.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #1157
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find it fascinating someone used the term trickle down economics in a non-ironic manner, especially when talking about multiple billionaires holding their sports team hostage so they can get hundreds of millions of tax payer dollars to fund their building where they operate a private enterprise
Old 09-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #1158
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
So you're saying that a publicly funded arena produces more construction jobs than a privately funded arena?

How many more permanent jobs would be created with replacing one arena with a new one?
In no way did i even make any comment or comparision that public funded arena would produce more construction jobs than a privately funded arena.

It is pretty clear that you see no value of the jobs that would be tied to this scale and length of a project.
Whatever it's not worth the fight.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #1159
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I watched the King presser and he came across as being condesending, sarcastic and at times tried to play the woe is me card that had me laughing. Worse for me was the implying of facts that are not true.

I also laughed at his comments regarding the land being a part of the deal. If you own a house and it's all paid for, how does it not have a value? King seemed to bent on belittling everything the city was offering in the deal. He looked like an idiot.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #1160
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

Nenshi was not at the negotiating table when offers were drawn up nor was he a part of it. The city had people behind the scenes that were looking at all the data and making up the proposals.