Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess for Tkachuk's contract result
8 @ 7M 10 1.61%
8 @ 8M 41 6.59%
8 @ 9M 21 3.38%
8 @ 10M 8 1.29%
7 @ 7M 21 3.38%
7 @ 8M 61 9.81%
7 @ 9M 19 3.05%
7 @ 10M 3 0.48%
6 @ 6M 4 0.64%
6 @ 7M 48 7.72%
6 @ 8M 126 20.26%
6 @ 9M 27 4.34%
5 @ 6M 3 0.48%
5 @ 7M 56 9.00%
5 @ 8M 66 10.61%
5 @ 9M 10 1.61%
4 @ 5M 1 0.16%
4 @ 6M 4 0.64%
4 @ 7M 19 3.05%
3 @ 4M 2 0.32%
3 @ 5M 4 0.64%
3 @ 6M 46 7.40%
2 @ 4M 3 0.48%
2 @ 5M 15 2.41%
1 @ 4M 1 0.16%
1 @ 5M 3 0.48%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #201
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Exactly. That's what I'm saying. 8.5 x 5 is best case scenario for the Flames.

These young guys have caught on. They don't sign for what they are worth now. They sign for what they will be worth in a couple years. So many contracts in the past were signed to only become great deals for the team's in a year or two (Gaudreau, McKinnon, Pasta..) I think we will start to see more and more players hold out for a season to get what they deserve.
I bet you are incorrect - I just think Treliving will do better than that. Personally, I'd rather see a 3rd year player hold out than overpay him for "future production" which may never pan out. And if he holds out, I'm not signing him for the whole year. That was a huge mistake with Nylander. Also, Tkachuk has no arb rights, plus 5 years buys what - only one UFA year? To me this is either a 3 year deal or 7-8 year deal. If it's 5 it's less than 8.5.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:03 AM   #202
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
To me this is either a 3 year deal or 7-8 year deal.
Agree, but as every day passes I'm leaning towards a 2-3 yr deal for Gio cap money
Old 06-06-2019, 06:38 AM   #203
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually not worried in the least as Treliving has probably done better than any other GM in recent history when it comes to not overpaying in this situation.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #204
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I honestly think, as good as he is, you don't want thachuk past age 28 in this NHL.

His footspeed will be decreasing by then and we can't have that.

I rather pay him for 3 years and then go to arb if we have to until he is a UFA then let someone else sign him.

or get him on a 5 year contract at just over 7.5 and leave it at that.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #205
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I honestly think, as good as he is, you don't want thachuk past age 28 in this NHL.

I rather pay him for 3 years and then go to arb if we have to until he is a UFA then let someone else sign him.

28? Way, way, way too early to be worried about a decline. Tkachuk is slow right now and it still doesn't hinder him. He is so good down low and in the corners. His vision and creativity will allow him to be a great player into his 30's.

Marchand is 31 and had 100 points this year.
O'Rielly is 28 and just had his best season ever.
Couture just put up 20 points in 20 playoff games at 30 years old.
Mark Stone isn't a great skater and look how highly teams value him at 28 years old.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #206
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post

What? Why would this suddenly happen at 28-years-old? This is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-06-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #207
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

28? I hope he doesn't play that long. I don't want to see him moving around the ice with his walker!

In all seriousness, talking about needing to make a player's first contract outside ELC shorter because they might decline due to age at the end of it is asinine.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 06-06-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #208
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
28? Way, way, way too early to be worried about a decline. Tkachuk is slow right now and it still doesn't hinder him.
We can also hope Tkachuk hires Draisaitl's skating coach, I seem to remember him being called the "slow German"
Old 06-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #209
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

The Score chimes in with their prediction.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1784245

Quote:
"I feel like every year there's a couple guys, a couple big names every year who kind of change the way a little bit," Tkachuk said in February. "I think Auston changed it, too, going with the approach (of) a five-year deal, too. Maybe people haven't seen that in a couple years, but it's not, like, uncommon. Guys used to do that all the time. He definitely set the bar."

Tkachuk is a near lock to become Calgary's highest-paid player. The 21-year-old's deal will carry an average annual value of at least $7 million and could potentially reach $9 million depending on the length and what other RFAs sign for.

Verdict: 6 years, $51 million ($8.5M AAV, 10.2 CH%)
Old 06-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #210
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The Score chimes in with their prediction.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1784245
I doubt it. Tkachuk should get a lesser % of the cap than Gaudreau. If he's not willing to accept that on a 6 year deal, I suspect he will be a training camp holdout.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #211
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If its a tough negotiation just give him a hard hit. That always makes him wilt.

/s(ort of)
Old 06-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #212
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I doubt it. Tkachuk should get a lesser % of the cap than Gaudreau. If he's not willing to accept that on a 6 year deal, I suspect he will be a training camp holdout.
Yeah, I don’t personally agree with the Score’s assessment either.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #213
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

This is a hope for the best, prepare for the worst scenario. The fact is, if Tkachuk’s contract comes in under 7.5 at anywhere 5+ years, it’d be a huge bonus for the Flames. Coming in 1 million above that certainly won’t be ideal, but it would be in line with the reality of recent contracts.

Hoping for a lower % of the cap than Gaudreau is not happening, unless you mean at the time of signing. Gaudreau’s was 9.3%, which would put Tkachuk at 7.7 per year, which is possible.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #214
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This is a hope for the best, prepare for the worst scenario. The fact is, if Tkachuk’s contract comes in under 7.5 at anywhere 5+ years, it’d be a huge bonus for the Flames. Coming in 1 million above that certainly won’t be ideal, but it would be in line with the reality of recent contracts.

Hoping for a lower % of the cap than Gaudreau is not happening, unless you mean at the time of signing. Gaudreau’s was 9.3%, which would put Tkachuk at 7.7 per year, which is possible.
Ya 7.5-7.7 is reasonable on a 6 year deal I think. If he wants 5 years, then I think you have to stick to your guns and keep it around 6.75. 8 years is the only way I give him 8.5.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #215
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What? Why would this suddenly happen at 28-years-old? This is absurd.
People look at the peak ages averages at players without accounting for skill level. It strikes me that the skilled guys extend their peaks a lot longer than the rest. I could be wrong but that's my impression.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #216
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
People look at the peak ages averages at players without accounting for skill level. It strikes me that the skilled guys extend their peaks a lot longer than the rest. I could be wrong but that's my impression.
these are also the guys that never win their keeper fantasy leagues because they're obsessed with collecting only recently drafted players, and are compelled to jettison anyone on their roster 25 and over because they're probably a broken down veteran with no trade value by that point.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 05:06 AM   #217
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Tre will make his moves to free up some cap space before he gets to this contract. If he signs this first and it is a high number other gm's no he is in a corner and will offer less on trades. I understand they already know he needs to make cap space but they don't know how much , which takes away some of there edge.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:55 AM   #218
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know if anyone else caught this or has posted this elsewhere, but just in case no one has, at approximately the 1 minute mark of Brad Treliving's interview from yesterday (https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/pinder-...-trade-market/) he intimates that there is a clear range on the Tkachuk contract and that they're confident enough in that range that they're willing to do stuff. It sounds like there isn't a huge hurtle and they're fairly close.

Also, this is a great interview with all the big players in the media, and I recommend it to everyone.

Last edited by Nelson; 06-21-2019 at 05:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #219
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I don't know if anyone else caught this or has posted this elsewhere, but just in case no one has, at approximately the 1 minute mark of Brad Treliving's interview from yesterday (https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/pinder-...-trade-market/) he intimates that there is a clear range on the Tkachuk contract and that they're confident enough in that range that they're willing to do stuff. It sounds like there isn't a huge hurtle and they're fairly close.

Also, this is a great interview with all the big players in the media, and I recommend it to everyone.
He wasn't talking about the Tkachuk contract, but the range of the salary cap for next season... Didn't hear anything regarding Tkachuk in that interview.
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #220
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
He wasn't talking about the Tkachuk contract, but the range of the salary cap for next season... Didn't hear anything regarding Tkachuk in that interview.
LOL I was clearly the victim of some serious wishful thinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread