Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #1
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Strange Grudges

I am not sure if I have learned this trait because I am a Flames fan, or if I am a naturally unforgiving #######o, but I have some strange Flames related grudges that have lasted for decades.

Having been born in dickety eighty two, those experiences which burned me directly created villains and heroes that shall never fade.

My top 5 list

1. Montreal Canadiens - took our cup in '86; legitimized ole ole ole, making it possible for the uncreative, repeating turds of a fan base in Vancouver to try and make it their thing as well - f@$& 'Em. ABM.

2. Edmonton coilers - took a dump on the nhl by assembling a dynasty during the most formative years of my childhood. F$&@ the greasy coil for this foul stain that can never be lifted from the carpet of my psyche. *mark messier has redeemed himself of being a contributor to this atrocity by personally preventing the Canucks from getting on the cup in '94, and then going to be one the suckiest captains in Canuck franchise history. Have another chip, moose.

3. Tampa bay lightning - took our cup in '04. Kerry Fraser might as well be added as an asterisk to this point. This still hurts like it happened yesterday.

4. Vancouver Canucks - as embarrassing to hockey as the the common vancouverite bridge and tunneler is to our country.

5. Boston Bruins - forever enshrined for defending Stanley's honour from Vancouver; and for being the mortal enemies of habs fans. Good game, good game, I'm going to effing kill you, good game. All beauties.

There are several other bizarre examples but these are the big 5 that will never change. Am I the only one!?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ottawa Senators. I can't stand watching them play... they're just annoying but I don't know why.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
Gord Wappel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Mark Messier

Revered by most as a Hockey God.
I only remember him sucker punching Jamie MaCoun - for no particular reason - and breaking his jaw.
May he rot in hell (once he dies miserably).
Gord Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gord Wappel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wayne Gretzky and his flowing mullet in the 80's - whining after every play...chirp chirp chirp. Greatest player pfft...biggest whiner for sure. Sather's smirk...etc.

Most of my hatred (or grudge) is centered around the 80's Oilers. The fan's still cling to the glory days (and most of the glory boys are back with the organization LOL).

Things like Risebrough shredding Messier's jersey with his skates and throwing it back on the ice and Sheehy giving the Whiner a rough ride when no one was supposedly allowed to touch him are my formitive memories.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Azhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sportsnet. They make watching a hockey game a chore and the game will suffer because of their new deal with the league.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Browndog71
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Sedins.

I have always wondered if I would hate them as much if they played on another team.

But 30+ year old twins that still dress the same and have the same haircuts and facial hair is not cute, it is down right creepy...but being Canucks makes it extra creepy.

I hate them.
Browndog71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Browndog71 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Loving the hate in this thread! Hahaha
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burrows and Perry
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

RFP's manic obsession with disparaging troy ward is amongst the most baffling
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hate Minnesota because when I was living in CGY it seemed that when I got out to a game it was against them. This was during the days of their defense first systems, which resulted in the most boring games to watch.
Nothing a few dome beers couldn't fix but still like watching paint dry.

Last edited by bzoo02; 05-25-2014 at 09:45 AM.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Doug Weight. I remember every time the young guns beat that oilers team him making arrogant comments in the media like "thats a team we have to beat" like they were cup contenders even though they got like 5-10 more points every year to squeek into the playoffs and lose to Dallas in the first round. Also him blindsinding the young sutter kid with a super cheap headshot and never having to answer for it.

Andrew Ference - beloved by our fanbase, first thing he does as a free agent is sign with the oilers. Then like a chicken #### he jumps non fighter Lee Stempniak after a clean hit and knocks his front teeth out. Maybe next he'll try to fight Crosby or something... Oh wait.

Kevin Bieksa - just loath the guy, he only fights guys he thinks he can beat and skates away from tough guys. Him getting praise for switching spots with the rookie in the line brawl then running away from westgarth and the rookie getting beat up was so ridiculous. It pisses me off that he is captain of team canada with Monahan on it.

Glen Sather - smug bugger who rode Gretzky's coattails (could say that of half their 80s team).

Kevin Lowe - see above, add the comb over and attempting to control the media like a greasy politician in to the mix.

I dunno if these are strange flames grudges or strange canadian fan grudges:

The current draft system - props up failing businesses, rewards tanking, gave Kevin Lowe 3 1st overall picks and made him look smart for being a massive screw up.

Any sun belt teams and the salary cap system - it seems ridiculous to me that teams with a fraction of the fans are competing with canadian teams with their own money from transfer payments people like us have generated buying jerseys and tickets. Every time Phoenix beats us I die a little inside lol.

Few others but they are weasels I think everybody hates, Matt Cooke, Zach Stortini, Corey Perry etc.

Last edited by Matty81; 05-25-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
theoforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My grudges and hatred was directed in different direction mostly against the officials.
1. Dennis Morel - if he was running the game Flames were done
2. Don Koharski
3. Kerry Fraser

Also Riser, the worst GM ever, destroyed Flames.

Last edited by theoforever; 05-26-2014 at 03:25 PM.
theoforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I never minded Messier and Gretzky on those Oiler teams. I liked Kurri, respected Coffey, thought Fuhr was hilarious.

My two ...

Anderson
Lowe

Couldn't stand either of them. Lowe always had that wrinkled up nose screaming and almost crying at officials and Flames players. Hilarious he went on to do the same in press conferences as a hockey executive. You could tell he was a complete suck hole on the ice from a distance.

Anderson drove me nuts. Somehow in an era without the instigator penalty he would stick someone, then avoid getting his head kicked in by using his stick as a lance to keep bigger players away from him. The epitome of cheap.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gary Leeman. Gary f***in' Leeman.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I never minded Messier and Gretzky on those Oiler teams. I liked Kurri, respected Coffee, thought Fuhr was hilarious.

My two ...

Anderson
Lowe

Couldn't stand either of them. Lowe always had that wrinkled up nose screaming and almost crying at officials and Flames players. Hilarious he went on to do the same in press conferences as a hockey executive. You could tell he was a complete suck hole on the ice from a distance.

Anderson drove me nuts. Somehow in an era without the instigator penalty he would stick someone, then avoid getting his head kicked in by using his stick as a lance to keep bigger players away from him. The epitome of cheap.

My main beef with Gretzky was that not only was he playing in the games, but that he also appeared to be calling the penalties.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #16
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

anything oiler or canuck related past, present or future.
trublmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #17
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anybody that jumps on a team's bandwagon during the playoffs because they're "Canada's team".
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Anybody that jumps on a team's bandwagon during the playoffs because they're "Canada's team".
I don't mind the people that do it. But the people that try to call you out for not doing it drive me nuts. Trying to make it part of national pride when all of teams have roughly equal can con
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
Pliddy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I can't believe I'm the first to bring him up- Rico Fata,him and the parade of wasted 1st round picks and the lousy GM's that made them...oh and Ken Linseman, man I hated that rat
Old 05-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #20
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody who was on the TBL team of '04. Lecavalier and St. Louis are great players? Who gives a ####. Screw them both, especially St. Louis and his whiney ways. Also screw Brad Richards and his bucked tooth beaver look. I hope a puck knocks them both out. I'm really at a loss for ECF because I like Lundqvist and he truly deserves a cup. But I can never bring myself to cheer for an NHL team that has both St. Louis and Richards on it.

And regardless of how much I like Yzerman and how no more remaining players from '04 are on the Lightning, I truly hope that franchise becomes like the Florida Panthers and wallows in suckiness for decads.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 05-25-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good , go bruins , it was in , vancouver is worse.