Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #2761
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Vinny twisting words again I see. I believe this topic was the original reason why I blocked him because he tries to spin things to not only create arguments out of things that aren't actually said but goes further to try and look for every opportunity to pile on posters.

Read what I said dude... (Brodie) "he would need to be involved and is the closest guy you get a one for one deal with that the Flames possibly consider expendable"

No where did I say he was expendable nor did I say the Flames should do it !!
Old 09-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #2762
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Must be great being a Flames fan with all these super untouchable players we have.

Just amazing reading the proposals for other teams top players and only wanting to give up a bad draft pick and Kylington or some other unproven prospects.

Brodie is a good d-man but if you're getting a good player back I don't see why it can't be done. Not necessarily talking about Duchene but I see this all the time whenever a Flames top player is mentioned.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #2763
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The Flames either won that series or were a millimeter away in game six
Pretty bold saying Tampa wouldn't score in the last 6 or 7 minutes
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #2764
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Personally, I find Martin St Louis tripping Chris Simon at the blue line right before scoring the OT winner in game 6 far more offensive than a no goal call with 7 minutes to go in a deciding Cup final game.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #2765
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Personally, I find Martin St Louis tripping Chris Simon at the blue line right before scoring the OT winner in game 6 far more offensive than a no goal call with 7 minutes to go in a deciding Cup final game.
I choose both
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #2766
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Must be great being a Flames fan with all these super untouchable players we have.

Just amazing reading the proposals for other teams top players and only wanting to give up a bad draft pick and Kylington or some other unproven prospects.

Brodie is a good d-man but if you're getting a good player back I don't see why it can't be done. Not necessarily talking about Duchene but I see this all the time whenever a Flames top player is mentioned.
I'm fine with Brodie gone, the only problem is we have no one to replace him right now. And it's been clearly shown during the preseason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #2767
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I'm fine with Brodie gone, the only problem is we have no one to replace him right now. And it's been clearly shown during the preseason.
Outscore your deficiencies. Don't think it can be done? Look who finished 2nd in the pacific last year. And who's looking to threepeat.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #2768
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The clear intent of the GM was to bolster defense and improve goaltending in the off season. He isn't about the remove one of the 4 pillars on the back as that would make everything they did and all they spent to make a formidable top 4 pointless.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #2769
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at the left be right side for the Flames.

Gio-34, Brodie-27, after that we have Bartkowski, Kulak, Wotherspoon and then further down we have Kylington and Valimaki. Looking at that Brodie would be one of the last players I would trade.

The right side we have Hamilton-24, Hamonic-27, Stone-27 with Anderson, and Fox in the pipeline. The right side is in far better shape now and in the long term future. The Flames however can't really trade any or their NHL Dmen on the right side. Hamilton is too valuable, the Avs apparently turned down Hamonic/1st/prospect and the Flames just paid a hefty price to get him themselves. Stone was also just signed to a new deal so they can't move him immediately.

I think it is the reasons why the right side can't be touched leading some people to suggest perhaps Brodie could be dangled for Duchene or Landeskog. Knowing that Gulutzan likes to go Left-Right shot for his pairs moving Brodie cripples the left side.

I also do not see the Avs being in a 1 for 1 deal on Duchene unless they get a player under 24. The Avs are not the Preds that are loaded up front and moving Duchene for an equivalent Dman will turn them from bubble team to contenders. They were Oiler bad last year and need to think long term. Duchene should be packaged in a rebuilding trade. I assume from their refusal to take Hamonic ++ back that they want a different type of package.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #2770
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Iginla with the empty netter to seal it.

That's what should have happened. But because we got screwed on the Gelinas goal and the universe didn't unfold the way it was meant to, we now have to put up with the garbage of the parallel universe we got mistakenly hurdled into, such as "Iginla back to Calgary" threads, and Connor McJesus paintings.

The hockey gods hate me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #2771
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oooh, the darkest timeline theory!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #2772
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Outscore your deficiencies. Don't think it can be done? Look who finished 2nd in the pacific last year. And who's looking to threepeat.
The team looking to 3peat has 2 generational talents and the best young goalie in the league. Flames have none of that. Oilers also finished with better GA than the Flames last year with elite goaltending and boast a generational talent of their own

The Flames could be in a position to trade a Dman for assets or an asset in 1-2 years but the prospects need to show they can make it. For today the team can likely survive a couple injuries to the right side but if Gio or Brodie go down it could be tough going
Old 09-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #2773
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The ONLY reason the Oilers outscored their deficiencies last year was because Talbot stood on his head. And actually, the same could be said about the Penguins - not to mention the fact that they have Crosby/Malkin to build around, a luxury no other team has.

Hardly the blueprint I would lay out for a winning strategy
Old 09-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #2774
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Oooh, the darkest timeline theory!
It will be the darkest timeline if the FLames leave for Seattle or Quebec and then win a cup the year after.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #2775
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
It will be the darkest timeline if the FLames leave for Seattle or Quebec and then win a cup the year after.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #2776
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin. Edmonton has McDavid. Who do we have? Not an elite center. I like Monahan, but that's not enough.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #2777
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did you watch hockey in 2004? Lead with 6 mins left, Kipper in net, and all the hooking and holding you want
Old 09-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #2778
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin. Edmonton has McDavid. Who do we have? Not an elite center. I like Monahan, but that's not enough.
That's why we'd be adding Duchene.

Not that I disagree with anyone too much
Old 09-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #2779
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but I think that role will one day go to Bennett (not that I would compare him to any of those 3). He was considered a future elite player in his draft year, he just needs to develop and find his way imo.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #2780
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I'll start a firestorm and say that I would trade TJ Brodie straight up for Matt Duchene right now now. Why? Glad you asked.

...For all the talk of building a defense to compete with Connor McDavid, we might consider looking at this from another angle. Johnny and Sean combine to make $7.9M less than McDavid and Draisaitl. The contracts of our star players allow us to afford an extra star player plus something else.

Further to this point, if we're building to beat the Oilers, our forwards are going against a top 3 of Larsson, Klefbom and Russell? Nurse? Sekara? ...
I believe this is where the philosophical error lay in your proposal. This idea of "building to beat the Oilers" is a convenient invention by the media, but even before McDustpan arrived in Edmonton Treliving was already on record about the importance of building from the goal out through the middle of the ice. We now know that long before he traded for Dougie Hamilton in the same draft that the Oilers won Treliving was entrenched in discussions with Boston. We know that the Hamonic deal was two years in the making, which would set its inception long before the Oilers ever played a playoff game.

No. The Flames are not "built to beat the Oilers." The Flames are built to win the Western Conference and ultimately the Stanley Cup. This would require responses to a host of other better teams like Anaheim, Chicago and Nashville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread