Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #2221
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I would love for Sweetrobin to play a major role in resolving the conflict of the Northern houses. we've seen cunning, experienced adults like Tywin, Littlefinger and Varys play the game with razor precision, it would be awesome if the kid who "fights like a girl with palsy" just Leroy Jenkins'd everyone's plans to hell.
This would be amazing, and I'd be furious at the same time. Right up there with Littlefinger winning the Game of Thrones.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #2222
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I never understand this, so he was a borderline extra, so what? I dont understand what people were so critical of, he didnt do anything, his character could have been anyone, who cares?

The Twitterverse must be an especially cruel and vicious place if being an extra in GoT got to him that badly.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #2223
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The more I think about it now, its hard not to think the Nights King gets his hands on an ice dragon or something equivalent. The show producers are known to put some sort of significance in each scene and the close up shot of the Giant makes me think there is some serious foreshadowing.

Just think about, right now we have three flame breathing dragons which can kill all the wights in one go (their only weakness is fire) and there is no way that entire massive dead army which has been accumulating over 7 seasons dies that quick. Ice dragon creates an equal playing field.

Its also obvious Jon leads a group beyond the wall so whats not to say they quickly get outnumbered only to have Daenerys attempt to save the day and burn all the wights only to have the Nights King kill and resurrect a dragon as his own. It would set for an uncertain war with no side having a clear advantage.......or maybe I am just thinking too deep and really want to see an ice dragon.

Last edited by steve9981; 07-18-2017 at 03:14 PM.
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #2224
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm pulling for Pod to win the Game of Thrones. Goooooo Podrick!
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #2225
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope they don't go ice dragon.
Everything has suggested fire/dragons/dragonglass to be the opposite and logical defence against the White Walkers, so it would be completely random to just make an ice dragon.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #2226
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

But at this point, the WW don't have anything that can counter the dragons. I'm hoping one of the giants tosses a massive spear or has a giant bow with which he harpoons one of the dragons (probably Drogon, since he's the biggest one and will give more of an "oh sheeeeit" reaction than one of the smaller two)
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #2227
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm assuming that no one has seen an ice dragon and what it's effects are on any of the living. Perhaps it's ice breath is a perfect counter to dragon fire. I'm just gonna go ahead and pull out my D&D gear now /snort.

Actually in a lot of fantasy scripture ice dragons or bone dragons are quite lethal to anything living so if that is a plot line in the show it's gonna put a huge kink in the livings plans.
My only issue with that is that for there not to be some kind of major imbalance in an ice/regular dragon fight, the ice dragons would have to derive their power from a source different than the Knight's King, as the Knight's King got his power from dragon glass and has an inherent weakness to it. We haven't yet seen the White Walkers employ any creatures besides those they've turned into wights.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #2228
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
The more I think about it now, its hard not to think the Nights King gets his hands on an ice dragon or something equivalent. The show producers are known to put some sort of significance in each scene and the close up shot of the Giant makes me think there is some serious foreshadowing.

Just think about, right now we have three flame breathing dragons which can kill all the wights in one go (their only weakness is fire) and there is no way that entire massive dead army which has been accumulating over 7 seasons dies that quick. Ice dragon creates an equal playing field.

Its also obvious Jon leads a group beyond the wall so whats not to say they quickly get outnumbered only to have Daenerys attempt to save the day and burn all the wights only to have the Nights King kill and resurrect a dragon as his own. It would set for an uncertain war with no side having a clear advantage.......or maybe I am just thinking too deep and really want to see an ice dragon.
Yeah, has to be something like that. I don't even see how any army dead or alive can stand against the dragons.

How were the dragons defeated in earlier battles?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #2229
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
For the most part, other dragons.

You may recall that the dragons got progressively smaller as they were chained up and kept inside. By the time of the last dragon they were no where near the size of Drogon.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #2230
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Yeah, has to be something like that. I don't even see how any army dead or alive can stand against the dragons.

They can still be taken down withe conventional weapons. The Harpy's almost took one down. Granted that dragon was not full size, but the Harpy's were also a bunch of fools in masks throwing spears.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #2231
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

All this talk of ice dragons, giants etc. makes me hope this doesn't just turn into a Hollywood-style special effects extravaganza to end the series. Everything awesome and compelling about this show has been based off of plot and character, but that temptation of visual extravaganza must be strong.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #2232
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
All this talk of ice dragons, giants etc. makes me hope this doesn't just turn into a Hollywood-style special effects extravaganza to end the series. Everything awesome and compelling about this show has been based off of plot and character, but that temptation of visual extravaganza must be strong.
Yes it would be highly disappointing if this just degraded into the classic fantasy trope that Game of Thrones was originally written to satirize.

A giant, overstuffed world-ending conflict of good vs. evil with big LOTR set pieces would be an ignominious unsatisfying end to this series.

I still hope that the fundamental conflicts of this series continue to be the main thematic drive of the plot. Those themes are the weakness of valour, the importance of family, the emptiness of society without justice and the difficulty to address collective action problems.

Those themes need to be central with giant battles with zombies providing the backdrop.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #2233
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I never understand this, so he was a borderline extra, so what? I dont understand what people were so critical of, he didnt do anything, his character could have been anyone, who cares?

The Twitterverse must be an especially cruel and vicious place if being an extra in GoT got to him that badly.
Personally, I think the reaction was silly and typical of Twitter and the social media age. I didn't even know who Sheeran was, or that he was in the scene, until I read this thread and the reaction on Facebook.

That said, I get the objection. From what I understand, he was singing a song that is on his new album. Arya's character was used to promote the tune. He is very prominently placed in the scene, unlike other guest stars. And I've noticed that HBO and GOT have undergone a pretty major marketing push for Sheeran over the last couple days.

The best thing about GOT is that it is nearly the most popular, anticipated, and consuming fantasy that takes us away for an hour a week in the summer. This single scene violated all of that in one sweep.

Like I say, I get it, but it's ridiculous.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #2234
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I still hope that the fundamental conflicts of this series continue to be the main thematic drive of the plot. Those themes are the weakness of valour, the importance of family, the emptiness of society without justice and the difficulty to address collective action problems.

Those themes need to be central with giant battles with zombies providing the backdrop.
So what you're saying is that Game of Thrones is a medieval Walking Dead...

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #2235
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
So what you're saying is that Game of Thrones is a medieval Walking Dead...
God please don't do that. I love GoT for the fact that the battles boil up out of the background and absolutely own a couple of hours each season. The build up is what has me hooked. Hard home has to be one of the best episodes of the series right along with the red wedding.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #2236
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
That said, I get the objection. From what I understand, he was singing a song that is on his new album. Arya's character was used to promote the tune. He is very prominently placed in the scene, unlike other guest stars. And I've noticed that HBO and GOT have undergone a pretty major marketing push for Sheeran over the last couple days.
I think I can get away with this, but the song is not Sheeran's, but rather a song in the books that has not been used yet. So partial pass for using him in that case?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #2237
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's just the show hasn't, up until now, represented typical television. Murder, incest, shadow babies, nudity and sex, dwarves, wights, dragons, violence and kick ass females characters - all on one show. It's unheard of because the writers kill the stars and the Hollywood tropes have been left in the cold. To now pander to a pop star feels like a betrayal. I wouldn't be surprised to now see Beyoncé as a sand snake and Kanye riding a dragon.

Still love the show, will watch every week and I don't mind ed's music.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #2238
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wondering with HBO Go, they have GOT, do the episodes show up at 9:00pm local time, the same as airing in Calgary, or are they up earlier or later?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #2239
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

On Sunday the new episode didn't show up until later in the evening. Closer to 10pm I'd say.

It definitely was not there at 7pm when I watched the hbo east feed on tv.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #2240
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
To now pander to a pop star feels like a betrayal.
Did you feel betrayed all the other times a musician has had a cameo performing on the show?

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/game...usician-cameo/