Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
theg69
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Rolling 4 lines....

This is something that has really been bothering me recently especially with the whole Backlund situation. I have defended Hartley in the past for some of his benchings and lines but it is getting increasingly hard for me to do so.

First off, why do we need to dress McGrattan every bloody game (especially against teams like the Panthers). I like the guy has a human being but he effectively neuters the line he is on and limits his linemates to the purgoratory of about 5 min of ES ice time. I understand Backlund has not been playing the greatest but how the hell do they expect him to succeed when he is feeding passes to McGrattan (who fumbles just about every single pass and cannot make a pass for the life of him on the ice).
You have to look no further than the whole Stajan fiasco when he was put on that line with Jackman and Kostopolous, and people wondered where the offense went...

Personally, I would like to see a bottom 6 with:

D. Jones - Colbourne - Bouma
Galliardi - Backlund - B. Jones

That way - they can give the icetime to whichever of the 3A or 3B deserves it (true meritocracy). Or, better yet, shuffle players around. The biggest problem with a 4th line that plays so little is then you have someone like Stajan logging 20 minutes of icetime. If we had a true star, then that is fine, but we don't.. and I would like to see the icetime spread out a bit more.

My last note is does McGrattan really make us harder to play against? He only fights within his weight class and I know its an odd complaint, but he is too clean a player for his role as a goon. He was absolutely useless when Ference handed Stempniak his lunch. There would be more of an argument for his role if he fought Ference later in the game (ie. the goon = deterrent argument).

I think this whole goon/fighter in a lineup is BS and would much prefer a team that can roll four lines.

Sorry for the long post, but hearing about all this Backlund trade talk especially with the way he has been used recently ticks me off. He gets benched for 1 mistake and has to play with a goon on the fourth line whereas other players like David Jones can play like garbage and still expect ice time.

What do you guys think?
theg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theg69 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it's pretty much undeniable that the Flames are at their best when they roll 4 lines. Also move Backlund to wing to see if it opens up his offensive game any

Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak
Baertschi - Monahan - Hudler
Backlund - Colborne - Jones
Galiardi - Jones - Bouma

McGrattan should be in the lineup against big teams, especially for home games. Pretty pointless to use him against teams like Detroit
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

it's either a huge coincidence that your posts aligns almost exactly with Kent Wilson's article today, or you need to give him credit for the analysis, particularly the bottom 6 pairing suggestion.

I agree with you/Kent, but the "keep Backlund because he drives possession/drop the facepunchers because they do the opposite" viewpoint will generally get you smacked around by the large anti-stats crowd here.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I like it when McGratten fights.

Can't stand it when he plays any other time.

Sign me up for the bottom 6 suggested. Hail Mary for Backlunds career in calgary...
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flip Bouma and D. Jones to their proper wings, spell Colborne properly, and OP has a decent bottom six.

However, Hartley seems to prefer running with a shortened bench so this will probably not happen in the foreseeable future.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think rolling 4 lines is a great idea, The flames obviously can't maintain the pace/effort they had early in the season
But if all 4 lines are roughly equivalent (we really have no legitimate 1st line)
short hard skating shifts ,as the game goes on you give more shifts to the better line on any given night
but I just coach from my couch
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I think it's pretty much undeniable that the Flames are at their best when they roll 4 lines. Also move Backlund to wing to see if it opens up his offensive game any

Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak
Baertschi - Monahan - Hudler
Backlund - Colborne - Jones
Galiardi - Jones - Bouma

McGrattan should be in the lineup against big teams, especially for home games. Pretty pointless to use him against teams like Detroit
Cammalleri is our best scorer, let's scratch him to jump start Backlund's game.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
theg69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
it's either a huge coincidence that your posts aligns almost exactly with Kent Wilson's article today, or you need to give him credit for the analysis, particularly the bottom 6 pairing suggestion.

I agree with you/Kent, but the "keep Backlund because he drives possession/drop the facepunchers because they do the opposite" viewpoint will generally get you smacked around by the large anti-stats crowd here.
Really? I haven't been to Flamesnation today - i was just getting grumpy reading all the Backlund rumours in the forum. I think a lot of fans are thinking the same thing though (especially with how limited the 4th line ice-times are). I have actually been tracking Colborne vs Backlund ice time and watching the games. There definitely is a shorter leash with Backlund - he gets switched off the instant he makes an "error".

I just hate the mentality of putting struggling players on a 4th line with a goon and expecting them to play better - does that ever happen? Can anyone think of any examples?

I don't keep track of the possession numbers and I don't defend Backlund's play this season like with the possession stuff but I remember reading about Kent saying how he is the best corsi on the team. To be honest, I think the advanced stats guys take it a little too far especially when the basic stats are still the bottom line and Backlund's stats have been terrible.
theg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Flip Bouma and D. Jones to their proper wings, spell Colborne properly, and OP has a decent bottom six.

However, Hartley seems to prefer running with a shortened bench so this will probably not happen in the foreseeable future.
Beat me to it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Cammalleri is our best scorer, let's scratch him to jump start Backlund's game.
Sorry, I forgot Cammy as he is likely going to be traded this season anyways

Thanks for not being smug about it though
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Sorry, I forgot Cammy as he is likely going to be traded this season anyways

Thanks for not being smug about it though
The thing is, if you are going to suggest a solution, make it a workable one.

If Breen pans out, he can replace McGratton as our enforcer, so we can roll 4 lines.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glencross-Stajan-Jones
Cammalleri-Backlund-Stempniak
Baertschi-Monahan-Hudler
Bouma-Colborne-B.Jones/Galiardi
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

how about rolling 2 good lines, all we have to do is find 3 more good players to play with Sven-Monahan-Hudler!