Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who are D 6 and 7? (order irrelevant)
Kulak Bartkowski 70 28.00%
Wotherspoon Bartkowski 17 6.80%
Kulak Wotherspoon 50 20.00%
Andersson Bartkowski 37 14.80%
Andersson Wotherspoon 24 9.60%
Andersson Kulak 45 18.00%
Other 7 2.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #21
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wotherspoon/Kulak should just switch off. Bad game by one? Slot in the other next game.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #22
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Anyone but Bartkowski. He served his role late last season but I don't see a future for him on Flames roster. AHL or a trade.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:46 AM   #23
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the support given to Andersson-I was at the game tonight, and he looks more confident and makes mostly good decisions out there. There's still moments with Kylington where he scares you a little, although he's done very well this pre-season. I still think they will go with Wotherspoon/Kulak.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:57 AM   #24
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

In some way I want to give Valimaki 5-9 games, but if that means losing Kulak or Wotherspoon and having dress Bartkowski in an injury situation no thanks.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dying4acup For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 01:02 AM   #25
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bartkowski is the new Butler.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 01:08 AM   #26
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Anderson and Wotherspoon have been the most dependable so far this camp.
But for Anderson, development is more important than having an NHL role. For him, it's either #6 of AHL.

Bartkowski has not been good. For him, it's either #7 or nothing. Will not develop.

Kulak also hasn't been good, but he has more of a track record. I could see him continuing to compete for that 6/7 spot with Wotherspoon.

Kylington has been solid, but I don't think he play style is suitable for the 6/7 role. It's better for him to develop in the AHL with lots of playing time.

Valimaki has been good, but not good enough to keep him up. No hurry to rush him.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #27
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Bartkowski is the new Butler.
he's not that good
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #28
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Repetitive with what's been posted already but my thoughts are:

Andersson: has been the most solid of all the contenders. He is NHL ready right now, and would make the team if not for being a rightie. Since he is, I think they send him down to play, and tell him he is the call up on any injuries to Hamilton/Hamonic/Stone

Kylington: has been really good - probably good enough to earn the spot. But he is still undersized and needs more seasoning. He should go down, despite playing well.

Kulak: I have been disappointed. The job was his to lose and he is losing it so far, IMO. Doesn't seem to have moved forward from last year, seems to have taken a step backwards (at least so far)

Wotherspoon: boring (which is what I think some people don't like), but he was really solid last night. I think he has taken over as the front-runner. Wouldn't be surprised to see him and Stone as a pairing in the next game. And it's his to lose now.

Bartkowski: has been awful, but I still expect him to be the #7 so that none of the kids are eating popcorn. However, when there is an injury, I think he'll remain #7 and they'll call someone up straight into the lineup

forgot Valimaki: I think he has been really impressive, and is a future NHL er for sure. But he isn't ready yet. And that's okay.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

pretty amazing to think that we have one of the very best and deepest top 5s in the league, and despite that, we have another half a dozen guys legitimately fighting it out for number 6.

And that doesn't even include Fox.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #30
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had to guess, the Flames will go with Bartkowski and Kulak as 6-7
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #31
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think Kulak deserves another look. Chemistry really played part in being down on a player that was playing on his off-side the previous game. At the same time Wotherspoon Andersson have been a pairing in the AHL for most of last season, so they looked good playing with one another.

I still vote for Wotherspoon as the #6 for now, having Kulak as #7, rotate them and see who takes it during the regular season. If both fail then recall Andersson to play on his off-side and see how it goes.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #32
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's Wootherspoon for me. He looked really good last night, very poised. Him and Andersson got a lot of ice time in the third last night and made the most of it. I would put Wootherspoon ahead of Kulak because of that poise. The only thing missing is a mean streak, I wish Wootherspoon was a little nastier.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #33
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think now that I have thought about it a bit more I am more comfortable with Wotherspoon and Kulak being 6 and 7 to start the season. With waiver eligibility it is easy to put Andersson and Kylington in stockton to get top minutes. Valamaki has impressed, but he doesn't lead the pack vying for that job so send him back to the WHL.

For me bartowski isn't on the team unless the flames want him as the 7th so Kulak can play more minutes in stockton.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #34
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington.....I haven't watched, but heard some comments of the usual roller coaster variety.

Do people really think he is ready for this? I hope that's the case, but find it hard to believe Gulutzen can trust him.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #35
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
If I had to guess, the Flames will go with Bartkowski and Kulak as 6-7
I sure hope not. They have been the worst of the bunch, and Bartkowski certainly hasn't earned it.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #36
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Kylington.....I haven't watched, but heard some comments of the usual roller coaster variety.

Do people really think he is ready for this? I hope that's the case, but find it hard to believe Gulutzen can trust him.
No, he's not ready yet. But he's close. Maybe it takes another year, but the difference between Kylington this year and last is substantial, IMO.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #37
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Kylington is 1000x the player Bartkowski is, and I believe he could fill in in a pinch, but he still hasn't fully grown into his body. He's too easy to push off the puck right now. One more year growing up in Stockton and I think he will be threatening Brodie for a top 4 spot.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #38
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man next year is going to be rediculous with Kylington, Andersson, Valimaki having more seasoning. Probably will be adding Fox to the mix. I think Wotherspoon or Kulak aren't long for this organization. At some point someone on the back end will be flipped to recover draft picks as it is getting mighty crowed.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #39
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He is close to ready. And he has played well and earned a look and maybe even a game or two.

But the simple fact of the matter is that he needs to play, and there are other people to fill in the #6 role.

Plus, the Flames plan on competing this year, there is no room for developmental spots.

The best decision in every regard is to have Kylington get another year of seasoning and growing in the A.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #40
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Wotherspoon is the front runner right now. Has looked the most poised of everyone auditioning. I'd keep Wotherspoon as a partner for Stone. I think Bartkowski sticks as the seventh. Kulak gets more seasoning in Stockton.