Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #21
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I blame the ghost of Brian Elliott.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 PM   #22
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cameron said Bennett was the best forward for the Flames (no surprise); thought Foo worked hard had some good looks, needs to adjust to speed of the NHL game
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #23
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Look at the two grade A passes from Bennett here

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/hig...092/c-52734503
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #24
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not worried about Smith. The preseason is rarely indicative of goaltender success. Remember when Hiller was lights out during the preseason? He then went out to have a career-worst season.

It's a bit hard to say that the double loss to the Oilers is completely meaningless, because there's precedence. Last year, the Oilers won both of the split games. They then went on to win the first 2 regular season games, then the whole season series.
But oh well, at least the Flames won't have a Grossman this year. I hope.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #25
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I blame the ghost of Brian Elliott.
I blame Sigalet
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #26
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Coilers commentators were talking about how unlucky and snakebitten a night Poirier had tonught. Hope tge kid doesnt get discouraged and has a good rest of the preseason.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #27
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Was at the game tonight too.

Smith was bad, agreed, wasn't sharp. In fact if he stops the two softies Calgary wins so that was the difference.

Jankowski looked alright. I think he's overrated on these boards but he didn't look out of place. His puck handling seemed poor though. Seemed to constantly bobble it or couldn't seem to control it very well.

Gaudreau and Monahan I thought looked good which was encouraging. Ferland is not a top line RW and I wish he would go back to what made him which is hitting and mucking it up.

The NHL product seems to focus on the refs and some of the calls tonight were ridiculous. I can't remember a preseason game where there was no fights, and I've probably been to a preseason game just about every year since the mid 90's. The NHL product taking fighting and even hitting seems removed from the game just sucks any energy out of the sport. It really just isn't that interesting without that raw intensity or emotion which comes from the physical play. There was a moment where Draisaitl was being a ###### bag to Giordano and they both got called on the play. They went to the box and were chirping each other. I thought something might come of that... a hit... a fight... a something but no looks like they peacefully and diplomatically resolved their issue through discussion in the penalty box. Talk about boring.

Kylington made a nice move at the blue line once. Dube should have scored on a breakaway, barely missed the last part of a nice deke.

Brouwer should be cut, legitimately. I'm not sure he is a NHL player.

Mangiapane took a penalty when the refs decided in one of those moments that the game was about them, so somewhat unfair to him. Still, not sure he's a NHLer.

Hamonic looked not noticeable (in a good way for a dman). Brodie played good. Valimaki was smooth but unnoticeable in a good way.

Gillies I thought looked good. I hope the Flames are quicker to move kids into the roster if we get goaltending like Smith showed tonight so we don't burn 1/4 of a season on subpar NHL goaltending.

That's about my thoughts tonight.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 09-18-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #28
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would've loved to have seen Giordano pound Draisaitl's face in. That alone would've made the home game a lot more palatable at the end of the night.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #29
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Was at the game tonight too.

Smith was bad, agreed, wasn't sharp. In fact if he stops the two softies Calgary wins so that was the difference.

Jankowski looked alright. I think he's overrated on these boards but he didn't look out of place. His puck handling seemed poor though. Seemed to constantly bobble it or couldn't seem to control it very well.

Gaudreau and Monahan I thought looked good which was encouraging. Ferland is not a top line RW and I wish he would go back to what made him which is hitting and mucking it up.

The NHL product seems to focus on the refs and some of the calls tonight were ridiculous. I can't remember a preseason game where there was no fights, and I've probably been to a preseason game just about every year since the mid 90's. The NHL product taking fighting and even hitting seems removed from the game just sucks any energy out of the sport. It really just isn't that interesting without that raw intensity or emotion which comes from the physical play. There was a moment where Draisaitl was being a ###### bag to Giordano and they both got called on the play. They went to the box and were chirping each other. I thought something might come of that... a hit... a fight... a something but no looks like they peacefully and diplomatically resolved their issue through discussion in the penalty box. Talk about boring.

Kylington made a nice move at the blue line once. Dube should have scored on a breakaway, barely missed the last part of a nice deke.

Brouwer should be cut, legitimately. I'm not sure he is a NHL player.

Mangiapane took a penalty when the refs decided in one of those moments that the game was about them, so somewhat unfair to him. Still, not sure he's a NHLer.

Hamonic looked not noticeable (in a good way for a dman). Brodie played good. Valimaki was smooth but unnoticeable in a good way.

Gillies I thought looked good. I hope the Flames are quicker to move kids into the roster if we get goaltending like Smith showed tonight so we don't burn 1/4 of a season on subpar NHL goaltending.

That's about my thoughts tonight.
There were also 111 PP's in 8 games and a total of 49 slashing penalties. Clear crackdown on slashing could have caused for games to be more boring and harder to evaluate. Also first pre-season game being a split squad game makes it less exciting to watch
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #30
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shinkaruk celebrating with a one legged double fist pump after making it 5-2 in the last minute. Clownish behavior. On a lucky goal no less. So unearned.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #31
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

That's right but god forbid we have a fight. Soccer might borderline be tougher than hockey these days. Some of the penalties called tonight were embarrassing for literally everyone involved.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #32
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hi gang I haven't read anything because I don't want to ruin it.. Just got back, is there any archived footage of either games?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #33
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Hi gang I haven't read anything because I don't want to ruin it.. Just got back, is there any archived footage of either games?
It's debatable to say there was ever even any live footage.

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:40 AM   #34
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Meh...whatever. It's preseason.
Didn't last year go this way too? And then we had a horrible start and got swept in the season series?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:56 AM   #35
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at the game tonight as well.

Generally agree with Mr. Coffee's assessment.

Janko looks like he belongs at this level. I think he's ready.

Hamonic was a great off season addition. Really liked his game.

Kylington should get a serious look, just don't know where he slots in. He's probably bad news for Bartkowski and Wotherspoon.

Gio was awful. Like Butler turnover machine awful.

Was disappointed to see Versteeg playing the point on the PP in preseason. Why dress young, skilled D and put a forward back there?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:02 AM   #36
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Was at the game tonight as well.

Generally agree with Mr. Coffee's assessment.

Janko looks like he belongs at this level. I think he's ready.

Hamonic was a great off season addition. Really liked his game.

Kylington should get a serious look, just don't know where he slots in. He's probably bad news for Bartkowski and Wotherspoon.

Gio was awful. Like Butler turnover machine awful.

Was disappointed to see Versteeg playing the point on the PP in preseason. Why dress young, skilled D and put a forward back there?

Not as disappointing as it was to see Brouwer still on the first PP! was 74 games not enough time last year to see that?
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #37
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Coach said our young kids are not likely to see regular season PP time and therefore its best to get our real PP units assembled right away and get them reps so they have some chemistry when the season starts. That's the regular season PP1 combination.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #38
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
Not as disappointing as it was to see Brouwer still on the first PP! was 74 games not enough time last year to see that?
Ferland was on PP1 from what I saw.

Broadcast team said Tkachuk would likely replace Brouwer on PP2.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:19 AM   #39
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Shinkaruk celebrating with a one legged double fist pump after making it 5-2 in the last minute. Clownish behavior. On a lucky goal no less. So unearned.
Calling all fun police... Calling all fun police.. we have a 187 on all exciting plays.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #40
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Well finally got a chance to see the replay of this. Talk about overreaction on your part. Clownish behaviour? That would be Yakupov sliding across the rink on his knees. This kid did a small fist pump. Big whoop.

Some people sure make mountains out of molehills.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: