Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Friedman: Flames maybe one of the teams interested in Duchene?

From his 30 thoughts:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...ne-still-open/

Quote:
6. Everyone decided to take a deep breath and go back to their corners when Matt Duchene wasn’t traded July 1. It sounds like everyone is realizing the possibility he could start next season in Colorado. But remember this: Avalanche assistant GM Chris MacFarland was with Scott Howson in Columbus when Howson waited until July 20, 2012, to trade Rick Nash. Sometimes the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour, and MacFarland could be following that blueprint. I wouldn’t be surprised if interested parties (Boston, Columbus, Nashville, Pittsburgh, maybe Calgary) try again to see if anything shakes loose.
He also said it is unlikely the Flames look to add a forward (I assume he means by free agency or trade) until Ferland's contract is figured out:

Quote:
9. I do think there is something to the column by Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Penguins will look to trade Phil Kessel. Other potential manoeuvring: Dallas GM Jim Nill laying the groundwork to ease a roster/cap jam. And I can see Calgary waiting to see what happens with Micheal Ferland before looking at another forward. Ferland is eligible for arbitration. A third year on any long-term deal for him is the tricky one, as that’s when he is unrestricted.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Would be curious to see what the Flames could offer to make that happen. Personally don't see it happening, but its fun to speculate on what it would take.

Colorado covets defensemen. Flames have young prospects but I don't think they're what the Avs are looking for.

Wait, I got it. Sign Iginla, trade him to Colorado.

Last edited by Toonage; 07-13-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm sure we're interested, but I doubt very much we do anything until Joe Sakic comes off his meds and his trade demands begin to approach reality.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I'm not sure who we'd give up. And dear god please don"t turn into a jankowski thread
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I'm not sure who we'd give up. And dear god please don"t turn into a jankowski thread
Duchene for Jankowski
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Jankowski is going to Colorado for Duchene?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
The_Rug
Draft Pick

I imagine the Avs would be looking for one of our defencemen, maybe Brodie? Steep price to pay. I would have done that a few years ago, but Duchene doesn't look as good as he was back then.
The_Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #8
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

What about a deal centered around Gillies and/or one of our prospect D?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we still trade Agostino? No? Why not?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC Colorado is looking for young, low cap hit and cost controlled defensemen that can contribute in the future.

So any and probably multiple of our defensive prospects from Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington and Fox. Our current set of NHL defensemen probably wouldn't interest Colorado since by the time they're good, their contracts will be up and be close to if not already 30 years old needing an extension.

Last edited by Anduril; 07-13-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
IIRC Colorado is looking for young, low cap hit and cost controlled defensemen that can contribute in the future.

So any and probably multiple of our defensive prospects from Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington and Fox. Our current set of NHL defensemen probably wouldn't interest Colorado since by the team they're good, their contracts will be up and be close to if not already 30 years old needing an extension.
They would want those defensemen to be able to step in immediately though. Would Andersson/Kylington fit that bill? At the level the Avs would want them to be at?

This is why I figured Carolina was the perfect trade partner. Hanifin for Duchene (or along those lines).
Old 07-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #12
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post

So any and probably multiple of our defensive prospects from Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington and Fox. Our current set of NHL defensemen probably wouldn't interest Colorado since by the team they're good, their contracts will be up and be close to if not already 30 years old needing an extension.
Also Kulak and/or Spoon? Obviously as part of a larger package.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
They would want those defensemen to be able to step in immediately though. Would Andersson/Kylington fit that bill? At the level the Avs would want them to be at?

This is why I figured Carolina was the perfect trade partner. Hanifin for Duchene (or along those lines).
Why? Young defenceman or no young defenceman that Colorado team is going to be epically terrible next season.

If I wanted a young defenceman in exchange for Duchene I'd probably want one thats going to get to ride out the next couple years of Colorado's crippling ineptitude in the AHL rather than souring them by making them experience first-hand up close and personal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #14
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would not do Valimaki for Duchene - no slight on Duchene, just reflective of what I think Valimaki is really worth.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #15
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Why? Young defenceman or no young defenceman that Colorado team is going to be epically terrible next season.

If I wanted a young defenceman in exchange for Duchene I'd probably want one thats going to get to ride out the next couple years of Colorado's crippling ineptitude in the AHL rather than souring them by making them experience first-hand up close and personal.
I just thought that was what the Avs wanted / needed right now. Giving up a core piece of their offense to bolster an area of immediate need. The Avs defense is weak right now is it not? I figured they would want contributions right from the start of the season from young defensemen.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #16
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Friedman has been wrong all summer. I will take this with a grain of salt.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #17
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Probably. But given such restrictive demands, it's not surprising that Flames just don't have what it takes to make a convincing deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Also Kulak and/or Spoon? Obviously as part of a larger package.
I'm of the opinion that these guys are probably very minimal value in general, maybe except for Kulak.
Would be great to see them get a lot more time with the main team rather than getting bounced by veterans with long contracts again.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #18
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't really make sense for the Canes. Duchene is 2 years from UFA and Hanifin is on track to be a top pairing d-man for the next decade plus.

If the Canes window had opened and Duchene was the last piece to making a run then maybe, but the Canes don't need to make that kind of a deal right now.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #19
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames have no more draft picks to give.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stud_McCool For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #20
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Doesn't really make sense for the Canes. Duchene is 2 years from UFA and Hanifin is on track to be a top pairing d-man for the next decade plus.

If the Canes window had opened and Duchene was the last piece to making a run then maybe, but the Canes don't need to make that kind of a deal right now.
No, doesn't make much sense for Carolina you're right. Colorado would love it but they'd have to add and I don't think they see Duchene as a player they should have to package.

If/when he finally is dealt, the return will be interesting for sure.