Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:44 PM   #661
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok so the craziest idea popped into my head yesterday.

What if we crowd funded a billboard downtown that simply states Bring Jarome Home and a big picture of Iggy with his iconic smile to plant that seed and show Brad that a big contingent of fans want this to happen.

I have no idea how much billboard ads cost, but man that would be glorious. I just got a crazy feeling way down deep that reminds me of the Ray Bourque magical run with the Avs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 10:56 PM   #662
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Value in anyone's contact including the all-time franchise leader in goals, points, etc... is still a major factor.

As with any player including the proverbial whipping boys like Brouwer, Bouwmeester, Wideman, etc... If you are making north of $4.5M and you are not producing, it's tough to stay out of the negative spotlight.

Imagine if Iginla signs with Boston for $3M and gets off to his usual slow start, maybe slower now that he's 40. Fan base is not thrilled, but they are not expecting much from the team overall.

Imagine Iggy signed for an incentive heavy contract and a $1M base with Calgary and he got off to that same slow start.... maybe he is doing a lot of other things for the team to earn his lower tier contract.

As with a lot of things, it's value that would be extremely important.

Last edited by iamca; 07-15-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:57 PM   #663
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

What if we crowd funded a billboard downtown that simply states Bring Jarome Home and a big picture of Iggy with his iconic smile to plant that seed and show Brad that a big contingent of fans want this to happen.

I have no idea how much billboard ads cost, but man that would be glorious. I just got a crazy feeling way down deep that reminds me of the Ray Bourque magical run with the Avs.
I dearly hope that the organization never makes a hockey decision because the fans want it to happen.
Not sure about the Bourque comparison either - that comparison would have been if Iginla won the cup with another team, not returned home to win it with the Flames.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 11:52 PM   #664
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expectations around Iginla's production should of course be tempered, but that doesn't mean I would be shocked to see him have a productive season.

I think it all comes down to opportunity. If he (or anyone else) plays well, they will get their looks on the top line or on the PP for a few shifts in a game, or even a stretch of games. What that player does with that opportunity is up to him, and Jarome will be no different. I would expect him to just provide good depth scoring, leadership and some physicality. Solely playing off the 4th line and without any PP time, and I think Iginla pots-in about 10 goals. Playing top line and some PP time? 20 wouldn't surprise me at all. Where Iginla ends up slotting if he comes to Calgary would be entirely up to him in my opinion. Outperform someone else, and Gulutzan will move you up. Perform worse, and Gulutzan moves you down. I think that would be expected and fair.

That's the thing about Calgary. They are relatively weak on the RW. The only guy that isn't moving is Frolik (and even he is not a natural RW'er). Ferland is playing his off-wing. 3rd line RW spot is still very much up for grabs (and I have Lazar as the early favorite there). 4th line has Brouwer's name as a placeholder for now (though I can't imagine Gulutzan will keep him down on the 4th line all year, and like anyone else he will get the opportunity to move up.

If the rumor of Jagr talking to Calgary is true, that makes a lot of sense for someone like Jagr. His time in the NHL is quickly running out. He is at 1914 NHL points. If I was him, getting to 2000 points would be one of my personal goals. I would be looking for the best fit and opportunity possible and balancing that out with salary expectations as well as a chance to win.

Calgary should be one of the better fits for him, as though I love Ferland and do believe he has a 30 goal season in him at his peak, that top line RW spot is still very much up for grabs. If Iginla, or Jagr, or whomever gets signed will at least have the opportunity to be on that line as long as they end up performing. That is something that can't be said for a lot of teams, especially teams that aren't totally rebuilding.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 11:52 PM   #665
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

What if we crowd funded a billboard downtown that simply states Bring Jarome Home and a big picture of Iggy with his iconic smile to plant that seed and show Brad that a big contingent of fans want this to happen...

That is kind of creepy, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 07-16-2017, 12:02 AM   #666
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jarmoe
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #667
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

When is this happening ! I feel like this is sam Bennett's fault it hasn't happened yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #668
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly the longer he stays unsigned along with Bennett the more I think Iggy is a Flame.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #669
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Honestly the longer he stays unsigned along with Bennett the more I think Iggy is a Flame.

I've been watching some of AC's videos and everywhere I see Chiasson, I'm envisioning Iginla and it's really hard not to be excited about that.

I hope we get news early in the week that Bennett and Iggy have both signed on the dotted line.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #670
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So the original rumour posted in here by 'Jerome' was that he would be a Flame by the end of the week right? aka, this weekend. That's looking to have been disproven.

I wonder if he has any updates on that front. Based on what's been shared from people in the know on here, the two sides are talking a bit but I don't know if it's as sure a thing as it was made out to be. The dog days of the offseason sure suck, wish we had a fresh rumor or two. Or an Iginla signing, because that would provide a lot of conversation around here.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #671
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So the original rumour posted in here by 'Jerome' was that he would be a Flame by the end of the week right? aka, this weekend. That's looking to have been disproven.

I wonder if he has any updates on that front. Based on what's been shared from people in the know on here, the two sides are talking a bit but I don't know if it's as sure a thing as it was made out to be. The dog days of the offseason sure suck, wish we had a fresh rumor or two. Or an Iginla signing, because that would provide a lot of conversation around here.

I believe he (Jerome) posted on Friday that Jarome is "really close to signing with Calgary".
Old 07-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #672
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I believe he (Jerome) posted on Friday that Jarome is "really close to signing with Calgary".
Did not catch that. That's pretty exciting if true.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #673
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If a team was run by the wants of its fans that team would rival the grease for the worst team in sports
The Following User Says Thank You to trublmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #674
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Did not catch that. That's pretty exciting if true.

Thanks.
I've refreshed cp probably more times than I should just waiting to see
[Signing] Flames sign Iginla.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #675
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah, this is exactly how I remember Fleury's last Flames training camp. He scored a S/O goal in a preseason game, which was a terrific way for the fans to celebrate his legacy at the time, but it was abundantly clear that he didn't have the legs any longer to skate in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That is kind of creepy, no?
I don't think it's creepy, really. Fans express admiration in many ways, autographs, pictures, jerseys. etc. It shouldn't impact the Flames organization and their decision making in any way, but lets everyone know what the fans feel about him and probably gets a little media coverage. I think that's kind of neat. But I wouldn't do it expecting it to change anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #676
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #677
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
I dearly hope that the organization never makes a hockey decision because the fans want it to happen.
You and me both.

If the GM starts listening to the fans in the stands, he'll soon be sitting among them.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #678
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here is a good article and video clip for the Iginla fans. He was out at a golf tournament with Shane Doan for the Kamloops Blazers Jr. Club they both are owners in.

Both players mentioned they are interested in continuing their playing careers but would be content with not playing.

I do see Iginla landing somewhere, he looked rejuvenated, had strong production and appeared to be having fun again during his stint with LA.

http://cfjctoday.com/article/579306/...ir-nhl-futures
Old 07-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #679
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
When is this happening ! I feel like this is sam Bennett's fault it hasn't happened yet.

Sorry, but its not happening....

I doubt he has any interest what so ever re-signing with the Flames

Nor would the Flames have interest in him

Just my opinion
Old 07-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #680
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Sorry, but its not happening....

I doubt he has any interest what so ever re-signing with the Flames